IGNORED

820 ribbon and grease needed

KLund1

I got a broken 820 off ebay. I got it to work. But it needs new ink ribbon and the correct type of grease.

The ribbon looks in good condition, but dry. It also looks fairly generic. Anyone know where to get new ribbon? (besides BEST) Or an equivalent size that I could re-spool.

What would be the grease needed?

Thanks

I hear ya about not wanting to use Best. I only use if there is NO other place to go. The shipping is crazy expensive these days. Do some searches in the net, Atari 820 equivalent (something like that). The ribbon is used on another machine. I forget now what it is. When you discover it, you can find ribbons for it. I can verify they work great! Buy a dozen or so. Use one and freeze the rest. That will make them last longer. As for the WD-40 trick, only do that if you come up empty. It makes a mess. Lithium grease, a little, works well on the gear. I use the stuff that you get for garage door opener tracks (lithium used to grease the rail). Works great. Again, use it sparingly.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone identified a commercial ribbon that can be used in the 820? Part number? I see Best sells them (limit 1) but I assume this is NOS. Thanks!

There was a thread here on AtariAge from 2010 that stated:

"A. Talked to the guys in the warehouse John. Here are the generic printer ribbons that fit the Atari 820 Printer.

DTC / Data Terminal LRC / Micros / MKD Unitote Regital 400 & 430, Unitote/Regitel ECR"

But not much more info than that.

• Like 2

There was a thread here on AtariAge from 2010 that stated:

"A. Talked to the guys in the warehouse John. Here are the generic printer ribbons that fit the Atari 820 Printer.

DTC / Data Terminal LRC / Micros / MKD Unitote Regital 400 & 430, Unitote/Regitel ECR"

But not much more info than that.

Yeah, saw that but a Google search on that string was not helpful. Thanks!

Edited by scitari

don't use google anymore, it only shows stuff that makes money, or favors an agenda... use other search engines and you get results like...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161999-atari-820-printer-dishwasher/?p=1996224

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

don't use google anymore, it only shows stuff that makes money, or favors an agenda... use other search engines and you get results like...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161999-atari-820-printer-dishwasher/?p=1996224

I use the Evil Goo as little as possible. I have most of their spy / ad network blocked as well. Use the Goo against them. Goo "Google Adreno", then "Google Chrome", and finally Use the Evil Goo to search for "AdrenoChrome".

Yeah, it's that bad. This is bigger than anyone can imagine...

ZEBRA, SEIKO, and Alpha were the brands it said it fit. As far as a link would go? That was a couple years ago... even if I would have it in my history (doubtful) it would be changed by now...

It was the same paper they used at my wife facility at the time for printing bar-coded slips for packing bottles.. the facility moved and uses new equipment now. I can ask off handedly if old paperwork moved with them or not... The printers were Zebra as were the guns.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

https://www.possupply.com/paper-rolls/other-paper-rolls/

https://www.staples.ca/adding+machine+paper/directory_adding+machine+paper_20051_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

try variations found here in other search tools, then plug in results at other sites to find best prices...

3 7/8

and their metric equiv.

the 3.875 width is that of a common envelope size here in the US

it is also a common craft fabric ribbon width

as well as a common tp size.. cue beavis and butthead...

some where in my head I remember a 4 inch wide roll that was not 4 inch that worked it was short enough to fit

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I know this is gonna seem strange, but paper rolls can be cut to fit (well close enough) the 820. I had several rolls in my attic (not a good place to store, paper gets weak) that I bought many years earlier, cheap from an old Atari store in San Antonio. Well, it was about an inch too long. So, I cut it down to size with a hacksaw. Worked pretty well, still using that roll a couple of years on.

• Like 2

I think I ordered ribbons from http://ocla.com/makepagebak8.php?SUBCAT2B=EATONRIBBONS a few years ago, not certain. But, they list the ribbon for the mechanism, the Eaton LRC 7000. It even says the ink is purple, which is what is original ink color. I emailed them yesterday to find out if they still had them in stock. No answer yet. Holiday?

• Like 2