IGNORED

New ColecoVision Console

Yurkie

Since there has been talk about replacement motherboards and new consoles I am going to put out my idea for a replacement.

This idea is based my opinion that once you no longer use the old original chips it is no longer a real ColecoVision and as such I would recommend the following as a solution.

Make an add on board to connect with the Raspberry Pi. This add-on board would have a cartridge slot with whatever additional electronics required.

The Pi along with add-on board would read carts and run a ColecoVision emulator. You already have HDMI output with the Pi....if you want to get extra fancy add another board for digital to analog conversion so you can have composite, or s-video, component or RGB

If you want to go all out, make a cute little case to house it in.

You now have your modular new ColecoVision.

If you don't care about the cartridge slot load roms on an SD card and stick it in your $35 Pi. There are many cases available that house the Pi, so with no add-on board(s) you don't even need a custom case.

Edited by Yurkie

Since there has been talk about replacement motherboards and new consoles I am going to put out my idea for a replacement.

This idea is based my opinion that once you no longer use the old original chips it is no longer a real ColecoVision and as such I would recommend the following as a solution.

Make an add on board to connect with the Raspberry Pi. This add-on board would have a cartridge slot with whatever additional electronics required.

The Pi along with add-on board would read carts and run a ColecoVision emulator. You already have HDMI output with the Pi....if you want to get extra fancy add another board for digital to analog conversion so you can have composite, or s-video, component or RGB

If you want to go all out, make a cute little case to house it in.

You now have your modular new ColecoVision.

If you don't care about the cartridge slot load roms on an SD card and stick it in your $35 Pi. There are many cases available that house the Pi, so with no add-on board(s) you don't even need a custom case.

the add on for cart just use the atarimax flash programmer ... coolcv could load the game from it

There is 4 now 5 cv consoles talked about.

opcode, Two guys in the main forum making boards, and two other guys making a retron type and another one that does just cv.

No one ever gets worried about selling with too many products becoming available?

Or are these all to be made for just for themselves to use?

People usually get all huffy when joysticks are being made at the same time as them or a multicart. I hope there is enough market.

• Like 3

I'd prefer enhancments to the orginal CV via the expansion module port and packaged in retro style as was the case with Opcodes SGM. A desirable CV2 to me is what Coleco might have followed up with back in the day had Colecovision had a longer life. Opcode made far more then some upgrade for Colecovision, they made a time machine that brought folks back to happier times.

Well, your mileage may very but the bottom line for me anymore is that my CVs are old and are becoming unreliable. I get tired of fixing shit all the time, even every couple years. I want reliability, longevity, and the option to have it work on a modern flat panel TV, in HD and cheaply. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a purist when it comes to using nothing but original hardware, I still am, but these new emulators and FPGA consoles are really starting to look more appealing in the long run. Nothing silly about that, I'm trying to be realistic and be open minded. Like it or not, this is the future.. Our original CVs won't last for ever and it never hurts to plan ahead. To each his own though. ;)

• Like 2

I can't lie, I love what Opcode does for the Colecovision and the SGM was such an enhancement that I really fell more in love with my Coleco and the newer games coming out. But a new system that also plays Coleco games I just am not excited for nor can I justify paying for another system that may be under $300. I know the Coleco is old hardware but thanks to individuals here we have a way to keep it running. I dunno maybe I'm alone and I don't want this to seem negative but I'm much happier playing games on my original or A/V modded Coleco than wanting to shell out a ton for a new system. I just hope there will still be Opcode support for the Colecovision once their system is revealed.

I know Yurkie is having fun, but good topic. Just learned about some peoples attempts to bring retro consoles to market...

... Quality VS Quantity it would seem.

If you like old consoles, nothing beats the real deal. Modded or Not, the authentic hardware just works. Most retro consoles look better on a CRT than an HDTV in my experience. If one wants the authentic experience, they will own one or more CRT's and be committed to owning original hardware and software... for everything else, there's RetroPie :P

• Like 1