IGNORED

The best version of Tempest.

Keatah

I loved playing the original, when it was at the local bowling alley (it wasn't at our local arcade for some reason). I pumped quite a lot of quarters into that one!

The Jag version was decent enough.

The 5200 version is very good.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm.... I have to say that the arcade is the only one that feels "true Tempest" to me...

Although the VCS programmers did something cool with a Tempest-ish game called "Turmoil." Yes, it is very different in visuals and not a Tempest clone... but when I play it, it feels like Tempest in the frenzy and fury.

Dang, the GBA version actually looks pretty good! The SNES version looked good until the warp, but I could probably live with that. I was surprised to see it running as well as it was. Whoever was playing it sucked, though, and not in a "this guy needs more practice" kind of way, which is understandable because we're not all savants, but more in a "this guy doesn't actually understand how to play this game" kind of way, which I always think is inexcusable on video. Take 5 minutes and learn how to actually play the game! Then come back and make your video.

Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar as I remember it, which is better than it actually was.

The Vita game TxK is better in almost every way, and it's a crime Atari shat on it.

I liked Arashi on Classic Mac OS, because it was long before MAME and such a good version. There was an even older one called STORM. It's nothing much now, but it was pretty cool at the time.

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/arashi

Arashi and Storm are the same. Storm was the beta version (incomplete and some glitches and slow downs) and they had to change name to avoid conflict with a different game called Storm so they went with Arashi. Oddly enough arashi is a Japanese word for storm.

29xf32u.jpg

I know T2K fans will boo this one, but I look at it as a good remake of the Tempest arcade. While there are some issues with gameplay changes, High Voltage really did a great job of improving the graphics over the Saturn port they did. Plus there is an actual T2K mode that's unlockable and it's very close (save for the MOD tracks sounding a bit muffled.) And if you play Classic Mode with the music turn off it used the same sounds from the arcade version. And yes i did compared it to the arcade original on Arcade's Greatest Hits disk I rented at the time. So yeah I say Tempest X3 makes for a decent compliation of Tempest games...

Right now, I play Tempest 2000 on the T2K emulator (better than the other Jag emus) and the arcade original prefered with the simulated vector glow.

• Like 1