IGNORED

Billy Mitchell at MoA for a perfect Pac-Man game attempt

RJ

Could have sworn that after he was the first to do the perfect game, he said, "Good. Now I never have to play this damn game again!"

Thing is...I think he has the slowest perfect game; he might be trying to improve his speed and perhaps take fastest perfect game?

I get the impression he's done with intense competition, and just doesn't care enough to try to outdo other players who care way more about records than he does. If he's going for a perfect game, it's probably just to show off in front of an audience.

I agree. He's participated in the Kong Offs but I don't know that he practices before the tournament given that his scores are mediocre.

Has Billy Mitchell given up on winning back the DK title? All he would have to do to be competitive again is copy the current record holder's strategy.

At the Kong-Off, I heard him say that he isn't interested in the beating the current strategy of mining points before the kill screen. Its amazing to watch these guys do stuff like jump over twin barrels, climb down a ladder and jump over them again (for max points), but its also very tedious playing every game like that.

At the Kong-Off, I heard him say that he isn't interested in the beating the current strategy of mining points before the kill screen. Its amazing to watch these guys do stuff like jump over twin barrels, climb down a ladder and jump over them again (for max points), but its also very tedious playing every game like that.

^^ This is exactly what I would expect him to say. Steve Wiebe as well. I'd be surprised if either of those guys were in the top 15-20 anymore.

The world record in DK has progressed to a point where it is no longer enough--not by a long shot--to simply have quick reflexes and lots of skill. Nowadays, if you want the title, you need a strong tolerance for tedious and drawn-out point-pressing, which is a whole other world from what we saw in King of Kong, for example. The player has to squeeze every single point possible out of the game if there is to be any chance of racking up enough points before the killscreen hits and the game ends. It doesn't really sink in what this kind of gameplay strategy looks like until you watch somebody trying to do it. A while back I remember watching about 15 minutes of a ~1.1mil score run on Youtube and it is just mind-boggling the lengths these WR contenders need to go to with the point-pressing. I have to believe that an absolutely obsessed mindset is needed to subject oneself to this and not burn out almost immediately.

Luck is now a big part of it as well. The game has lots of randomness to it, so sometimes it will throw more scoring opportunities at you than other times. This means you could play a near flawless game and still not get the record. Can you imagine being 2 hours into what feels like a flawless run, only to realize that you're not on pace to beat the record? That has to be very de-motivating.

There are varying opinions on what the maximum achievable score is in DK, and there are probably some points that are theoretically still available, but I'd liken it to a jar of peanut butter. Once the amount of peanut butter gets low, you can scrape and scrape with your knife to get just a little bit more here and a little bit more there, but before the jar is 100% empty you will always reach a point where there is so little left in the jar that you just discard it because it's no longer worth the trouble of trying to get any more out of it. We are very close to that point with DK, and indeed, may already be there.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

There are varying opinions on what the maximum achievable score is in DK, and there are probably some points that are theoretically still available, but I'd liken it to a jar of peanut butter. Once the amount of peanut butter gets low, you can scrape and scrape with your knife to get just a little bit more here and a little bit more there, but before the jar is 100% empty you will always reach a point where there is so little left in the jar that you just discard it because it's no longer worth the trouble of trying to get any more out of it. We are very close to that point with DK, and indeed, may already be there.

Good analogy!

Why do we give a shit about this egotistical numb nuts of a human being? He does NOTHING but talk shit, bullies everybody, inflates his ego, and when push comes to shove to back everything up, he sends in VIDEOTAPES of his game play with strange and interesting editing artifacts?

Let me guess....everything you know about him is from King of Kong.

• Like 3

I will say this about Billy. While he is a nice guy, he literally has a larger than life personality, but don't mistake that for arrogance. He actually likes seeing others succeed. There's a scene in the movie Man Vs. Snake where he calls the guy going after the Nibbler world record and does nothing but wish him well. That's pretty cool.

• Like 1

I've met him and talked to him for a while. He's actually a pretty nice guy.

I met him a few times too, he was quite nice. I was almost disappointed he wasn't a mustache twirling villain.

Let me guess....everything you know about him is from King of Kong.

Probably.

I've met him several times and can confirm he is a nice guy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The MoA is only 20 minutes away for me so I'll be there for sure! :D

Here's the official MoA page on the event: http://www.mallofamerica.com/events/view/1971

It doesn't say anything about whether or not he'll be doing autograph signings though. Fingers crossed I guess?

Edited by Jin

Billy Mitchell will be at the Mall of America 3/25/2017!

The Minnesota State Lottery is bringing Billy Mitchell, the first player in history to play a perfect game of PAC-MAN, to the Mall of America on Saturday, March 25. Come watch Mitchell try to beat the game on Madaracs' PAC-MAN machine, on the stage in the MOA Rotunda from 11am – 4pm. While you’re there, pick up your PAC-MAN scratch tickets for your chance to win up to $75,000 instantly and enter to win a PAC-MAN prize pack.

Schedule:

11:00 a.m.

Introductions by the MC to the event with details of what is to come for the day.

11:10 a.m.

Billy Introduces himself, talks with the crowd.

11:15 a.m.

Billy begins the first of two "Tips and Tricks" sessions on Pac-Man.

12:30-1:00 p.m.

Billy and crew take a break.

1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

More tips and tricks.

2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Billy will attempt to beat Pac-Man and get to the kill screen.

3:30 p.m.

Q & A, Autographs, Photo-Ops with Billy Mitchell

Fully enjoyed this event! After seeing Steve Wiebe at a similar event 2 years back, we could use more events like this. My son & I met Billy, Walter Day, & Brian Kuh (King of Kong fame) & I got Billy to autograph 2 T-shirts, a set of unopened Pac-Man drinking glasses, & a free poster available there (now framed & in my gameroom).

Walter Day was such a nice guy, my son said he wishes Walter were his grandpa or uncle.

& wait- who's that messing around behind the Pac Man machine...?