IGNORED

Hook Up Jaguar To Modern Monitor

RandyFemrite

Thought about getting an RGB to HDMI adapter, but it can't be that simple.

And if the monitor had no speakers how would I even get sound?

Would this work with an HD or 4K TV?

Is this a moot point or should I just look into an older monitor/TV?

Is this what I am looking for?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari-jaguar

RGB scart to HDMI are mostly crap. There are many on the market but most offer noise that makes the image quality sub par at best. Your best option is an XRGB or if your monitor supports VGA get a GBS-8220(cheaper option around $20 if your comfortable making a connector for RGB Jaguar)

With out speakers you will need to fun leads from the audio pins on the Jaguar connector

As for the cables you liked those are find and provide the audio leads out. You can easily hook up a female scart plus to a GBS-8220

I can provide you a link to instructions if you need them.

https://www.soldierx.com/bbs/201211/CGAEGA-VGA-converter-Upgrayedd

This one shows you how to mount a RGB input and add sync cleaner if you want

This one below is a good source if you want to go with a more traditional look with some scan lines

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/category/misc/scanlines/

I have a GBS-8220 already modded with scan lines mod and Audio out that I no longer use since I finally picked up an XRGB last year. If your interested in buying that send me a PM otherwise the two links are great starting points.

Edited by crtfreak

Yeah, typically avoid those anything to HDMI cheapo convertors. If you have multiple classic systems an xrgb-mini would be the best bet, their production is ramping down as one of the chips is NLA from their supplier. There are some other good more homebrew type solutions out there as well.

Those are good if you display supports 240p over component most LCD do not. They are mostly used for RGB Scart to component for CRT TV's like Sony trinitrons etc

Have you used your GBS-8220 with component video crtfreak? I have been thinking about getting one and some of the component cables from HD Retrovision for a while now (for ease of use on my part), but I can't seem to find good reviews for it's component video abilities.

• Like 1

Yeah, typically avoid those anything to HDMI cheapo convertors. If you have multiple classic systems an xrgb-mini would be the best bet, their production is ramping down as one of the chips is NLA from their supplier. There are some other good more homebrew type solutions out there as well.

Micomsoft has come out & said they'll have enough to sell for a couple years based on current demand. Had more ICs produced. By then, the successor will likely be out. Solaris has them for preorder, shipping 4/28. Nobody pay the scalpers on ebay right now.

• Like 1

Micomsoft has come out & said they'll have enough to sell for a couple years based on current demand. Had more ICs produced. By then, the successor will likely be out. Solaris has them for preorder, shipping 4/28. Nobody pay the scalpers on ebay right now.

Ah, sweet, that's great news. The xrgb-mini is a game changer (pun somewhat intended).

Ah, sweet, that's great news. The xrgb-mini is a game changer (pun somewhat intended).

This is so true that if I could turn back time rather than mod all my systems for SVideo and buy the relative cables and eventually buy the XRGM-mini anyway for those pesky EU-only consoles, I actually would have bough the XRGB-mini much earlier and RGB cables, that would have saved me quite some money, time and hassle .... very few of the systems I care for do not support RGB to begin with and for those SVideo would be still an option even with the XRGB-mini.

Examples: I SVideo modded 3 SMS, 3 Genesis, 2 32X, 1 SNES Jr [svideo rebuild], 1 Super Grafx, 1 Duo R .....

Even the Jag SVideo cable costed me more than the RGB cable I am using now via XRGB-mini (and the only way I can enjoy the 50Hz switch I put in)

So the replacement is not available for pre-order as it's just a hypotheses, ok got it.

Yes, despite this being the Jaguar forum where mere mention of something means it definitely exists, it is not the case. They haven't even announced a replacement so why would there be a pre-order for something that doesn't exist?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all info. I am number 3668 on OSSC waiting list. This coupled with scart cable should do the trick. Now if only I knew which scart cable to choose..https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari-jaguar

Since you are in US, I'd recommend eBay seller retro console accessories:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I've gotten a good number of cables from them and they all work good.

Their stock of cables comes and goes. Wait a week and they will probably have more.

Hey sorry late to reply. The comments on the GBS is actually really good. It mostly just passes through with little processing. It looks great on a LCD. I still use it with Nuon component am PS2. Mainly because I e done the scan line mod to mine an those games really look better with scan lines

• 7 months later...