IGNORED

Hook Up Jaguar To Modern Monitor

RandyFemrite

Jaguar from Europe can use RGB (csynch) cable on TV's(LCD's older then 2 year) that have Scart (RGB analog support) and Picture is excellent but newer TV's are mostly without scart.

As for US best is framemesiter(you Will also need scart cable) but it costs like new Jaguar but you have a problem...framemeister does not support audio output, so you would need scart with breakout cable to output audio before framemeister input (in case you use computer monitor without internal sepakers).

Perhaps you can use svhs in US if any of current TV still supports it.

As for cheapest RGB to HDMI I can not tell you.

Edited by Orionis5

Jaguar from Europe can use RGB (csynch) cable on TV's(LCD's older then 2 year) that have Scart (RGB analog support) and Picture is excellent

Not always, in fact it's pretty variable depending on the TV model (it ranges from excellent to poor). And the way the official RGB SCART cable is wired makes it incompatible with some LCD TVs.

Jaguar from Europe can use RGB (csynch) cable on TV's(LCD's older then 2 year) that have Scart (RGB analog support) and Picture is excellent but newer TV's are mostly without scart.

As for US best is framemesiter(you Will also need scart cable) but it costs like new Jaguar but you have a problem...framemeister does not support audio output, so you would need scart with breakout cable to output audio before framemeister input (in case you use computer monitor without internal sepakers).

Perhaps you can use svhs in US if any of current TV still supports it.

As for cheapest RGB to HDMI I can not tell you.

Get the OSSC it is about half the price of the Framemeister, works with the SCART cable and has excellent HDMI output.

Edit: if you order one with a remote control, make sure you put in fresh batteries, a bunch if people reported having a remote that didn't work, but someone put in new batteries and it was fine, so I tried it and it worked!

Edited by leech

framemeister does not support audio output, so you would need scart with breakout cable to output audio before framemeister input (in case you use computer monitor without internal sepakers).

Can you clarify here pls. The Framemeister doesn't handle audio coming into the device over scart? Odd I hadn't ran into this on any reviews. Can you guys confirm this isn't just a settings issue? Seems I would've heard this come up by now. Maybe not.

Assuming this is correct, you need video over SCART, audio over red/white RCA for inputs into Framemeister, then it is all HDMI out. Correct?

----

Add: Are you thinking of the XRGB can only output audio out of the device HDMI. As mentioned here:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54434

https://assemblergames.com/threads/strange-xrgb-mini-sound-issue-help.64981/

Looks like you'll only need that audio strip for certain TVs as mentioned in that second thread. Many will accept sound over HDMI. Check your settings if you get no sound over HDMI before determining your TV won't accept it.

If you do use that option though you need to remember to change the audio setting within the Framemeister menu system to do audio over Video out, not HDMI.

Edited by Jagosaurus

The Framemeister handles audio just fine over SCART or JP21, both audio and video are output via the HDMI cable.

Thanks. I spent quite a bit watching reviews about a year ago was wondering how I would've missed that!

If you read that 2nd link, as a disclaimer it does seem a few newer 4K sets don't like audio.

The Kitty Box might be an option if they're available.

http://0711spiele.de/zubehoer/atari-jaguar-kitty-box-hdmi-adapter/

I have one, but actually haven't tried it out yet, so I can't really speak to how well it works (yet), but I'm pretty sure it's what K3V is using for his Jag streaming, so I know it looks quite good there.

I might give it a spin tonight if I get some free time (that's a BIG if at this point in my life...).

• Like 1

The Kitty Box might be an option if they're available.

http://0711spiele.de/zubehoer/atari-jaguar-kitty-box-hdmi-adapter/

I have one, but actually haven't tried it out yet, so I can't really speak to how well it works (yet), but I'm pretty sure it's what K3V is using for his Jag streaming, so I know it looks quite good there.

I might give it a spin tonight if I get some free time (that's a BIG if at this point in my life...).

Yep, good suggestion. I am surprised it hasn't been talked about more around this forum.

Any body have experience with it or the creator?

Would be interested to know of it's a solid investment. Looks like it upscaled to 1080p vs the cheap PS2/Wii HDMI module that output in 480 (which many TVs don't accept over HDMI).

Only new device I've seen other than the catbox copy on ebay occasionally. Unfortunately the VGA/9 pin on those is intended for older 15Hz monitors.

At this point in time it annoys me that anything that is made as a mod, or whatever is using 15khz. Eventually all our monitors that support that frequency will die. That is my biggest complaint with the VBXE, and is why my Falcon and TT030 get the most use of my Atari computers.

Sadly the OSSC only supports component, VGA (15/30), Component and SCART. No S-Video or Composite. So my other 8bits won't work on it unless I order another SCART cable for them, ang I think it is the XEGS that doesn't have the monitor port...

Anyhow, I had never heard of the Kittybox until now, looks cool, and if I hadn't already bought the OSSC and if I weren't currently throwing all my money into moving... I would order one.

Didn't know the OSSC supported 15Hz. That's nice. It's 15 pin though IIRC. Can you just use a 9 pin to 15 pin adapter there?

I do like how the XRGB allpws you to use your existing composite and S video. Nice for a console you may not have modded (NES, CDi, those that accept it naturally) and allows you to slowly get into RGB versus buying new cables for all your systems. That alone can be a few hundred for us in the US.

Frameister supports audio and "transforms it to digital HDMI output" but RandyFemrite mentioned his monitor does not have speakers. Problem here is that you need to intercept audio before frameister (analog mode) because framemaister does not have analog pass through output for external speakers.

As for OSSC. Yes it is cheaper but you have to get...it is harder then framemeister.

Edited by Orionis5

I thought it would be too, but I got it quicker than I thought I would. There is a DIY kit, but I didn't have the time to build my own.

You would need a DB9 to DB15 adapter. Guess it depends on what you are coming from. But yeah, I spent 40 on a SCART cable for my Jaguar and ST. Very high quality cables too. Still disappointed the same cable didn't work on the VBXE output.