IGNORED

Input lag: are TVs the sole culprit?

toptenmaterial

Maybe it was the VGA-HDMI adaptor and not the Vizio?

I'm quite sure the VGA-HDMI adapter added lag to the Dreamcast -- the Dreamcast emulator > VGA > HDMI combination was insanely laggy -- but I didn't use it for the Mac. (Instead I used a simple Mini DisplayPort > HDMI adapter.) I have no doubt the Vizio is adding at least 100ms of lag, at least through the HDMI input.

HDMI is definitely alot slower then DVDI as i have tried both and is clearly noticeable but i use DVDI to eliminate that issue. Without a doubt you can't beat CRT and never will as it uses completely different technology; there will always be some input lag on modern screens. However having said that my LED TV is rated to have a 32ms input lag and when using DVDI the lag is hardly/if noticeable. Also i highly doubt using a decent emulator is any worse then real hardware on the same TV although personally i think emulators are more suited on modern screens to correct aspect ratios and filters.

I have no figures but fairly sure the lag i experience is no worse then a modern day console on the TV if not less as DVDI is faster the HDMI anyway. Therefore it's definitely playable just not as responsive as real hardware on a CRT. I also believe good emulators try to reduce input lag and use sync corrections as much as possible because most people run then on modern screens, although im not 100% sure if thats true. Maybe Stephana or one the Stella devs could give us a little more information on the subject

Not familiar with DVDI -- do you mean DVI, or is there a connector I don't know about? It wouldn't surprise me at all if DVI has much less lag, and it's what I use to connect my Mac to my LCD monitor (not TV).

Before I did these experiments I figured the emulators I used probably added a frame or two of lag, no big deal, but I can't overemphasize how much better and crisper the controls felt when playing SMB on the CRT. I think a lot of people who think their reflexes have gone way downhill since childhood, i.e. when playing (for example) Punch-Out or the like, would be surprised how much better they feel when they go back to CRT. :)

• Like 1

I'm quite sure the VGA-HDMI adapter added lag to the Dreamcast, but I didn't use it for the Mac.

Not familiar with DVDI -- do you mean DVI, or is there a connector I don't know about? It wouldn't surprise me at all if DVI has much less lag, and it's what I use to connect my Mac to my LCD monitor (not TV).

Before I did these experiments I figured the emulators I used probably added a frame or two of lag, no big deal, but I can't overemphasize how much better and crisper the controls felt when playing SMB on the CRT. I think a lot of people who think their reflexes have gone way downhill since childhood, i.e. when playing (for example) Punch-Out or the like, would be surprised how much better they feel when they go back to CRT. :)

I think DVDI may be DVI-D. Which would make sense, though electrically it should basically be the same as HDMI. Any analog to digital conversion is guaranteed to cause lag, VGA to HDMI being a good example.

• Like 1

Yes you're both correct i thought it looked strange when typing the comment but didn't bother to check :)

post-30687-0-85273000-1488160113_thumb.jpg

Yeah DVI-D to VGA but it's a single cable without any converter like thegoldenband mentioned as a PC monitor cable. DVI-D plugs into the GFX. I have no idea why it's actually faster then HDMI because as far as i know the only difference is HDMI also carries audio and like DNA128k mentioned it should be the same. However there is definitely a difference in lag, well with my setup anyway; i tried HDMI to eliminate the 3.5 audio jack input cable but the lag was unbearable so i went back to DVI-D. Might have something to do with my GFX or the TV input via HDMI is just slower, no idea.

Edited by Tony The 2600