IGNORED

Individual Computers A1200 accelerator cards - thoughts?

oracle_jedi

Hey guys,

What do you all think of the ACA1221 and ACA1233 accelerators for the A1200?

I have a stock A1200 and it is limited due to the RAM. I would like enough to play some of the larger AGA games like Sim City 2000.

Both cards seem to fit the bill, and I think they can also be used with the ACA500 to make my A500 go faster. I know the 1233 is faster, but for games is that a benefit or will the extra speed cause some games to become unstable?

I'd like to get Wing Commander and Frontier running at a smoother frame rate, but on my 486 back in the day I reached a point where the extra speed caused the Frontier controls to get so twitchy that it became almost unplayable.

I'm not looking to use the Amiga for anything productive here.

Thanks

Graham

Jens' products are the best of the best ever produced. Small form factors, reduced chipsets, modern low-voltage/amperage devices, quickest memory access, A1200 specific board/timing fixes without modding your computer, etc. Packs a lot of features into his boards!

When it comes to acceleration, good advice is to buy as much as you can afford and no, you don't have to worry about stability here. Big difference in price between the 020 and 030 boards you're talking about above though. I went with the smaller 020 board because it does 90% of what I want it to do (run basic games off WHDLoad) for half the price AND it fits alongside my A1000/ACA500 without disrupting the controller ports. I can tell you that at 4.92mips, Frontier is quick and very smooth. I think you can expect a little over 9mips out of the 030 card though, so if you're looking for the best overall bang for the buck and have the extra dough, go with the 030. :)

Jens' products are the best of the best ever produced.

100%

For the A1200 I would definitely go with the ACA1233 (more RAM, more speed, MMU) if it doesn't stretch your budget - it's the accelerator in my A1200. Well actually right at the moment it's not because it's connected to the amazing ACA500plus :D

• Like 1

I bought an A1200 a couple of years ago with a 1231 (predecessor to the 1233) as part of the package. Runs at 42Mhz, with 64MB of RAM. Between that and an 8GB CF card for WHDLoad-enabled games, it's fantastic. Haven't run into any noticeable issues.

Edited by Laner

• 3 weeks later...