IGNORED

Don't Worry, GameStop Will Sell You A Nintendo Switch

Sure they will... after they sell you their magazine, take your pre-order for three titles you don't even want, lie about having the game you actually do want in stock, then charge you 10% extra for the service. They'd be HAPPY to sell you a switch then.

• Like 1

Truth be told, I'm shocked that GameStop isn't making the switch their #1 system and pushing it hard. Their business model relies on physical. Media and Nintendo is the only company still committed to it. The other two seem to offer shiny discs only very begrudgingly.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

I'd say the reason for that is because physical or no, Gamestop's business model also relies on customers, which is something Nintendo has a problem attracting in similar numbers to the PS4 or even Xbone - all because they refuse to do an actual competitive machine.

There's a GameStop within walking distance of my house. I've only bought a few things there -- all hardware because I prefer downloads. Twenty years ago I would have been in there all the time, trading stuff in and shopping for bargains. It's almost like the dilemma of being older and having more money than time for games. I just think of GameStop as a smelly pawn shop nowadays. Drag.

Actually, you don't have to worry about going to Gamestop if you honestly want a switch.

I'm friends with people at a local Walmart, and they've shown me some pictures they took since they already got the units in.

Beyond any preorders, they actually had 8 more of them in stock... That's pretty impressive for a small town (comparatively) Walmart.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't going to pull their usual stock nonsense with the Switch. They're going to flood the market with numbers.

If/When they do sell out, it'll purely be because it was heavily marketed.

GRANTED... I still don't plan to buy a launch one. No more launch consoles/games for me! :D

I would like to get a Switch but waited too long to pre-order. There's no way I'm going to be at GameStop at midnight. My strategy is to stop by the Walmart that I pass on the way to work (around 7:00 am) on Friday and take my chances. If I don't get one, I'll wait. Still don't have a Classic but know that I'll eventually have one...

Starting when I wonder? I have yet to see a single Switch ad on TV. Seems pretty quiet in the marketing department so far for this thing.

Well I don't watch much TV so I don't see ads. I was thinking more of the "Internets" coverage and various videos on YouTube as well as their Super Bowl Ad.

Super Bowl.

Well I don't watch much TV so I don't see ads. I was thinking more of the "Internets" coverage and various videos on YouTube as well as their Super Bowl Ad.

It's all over Youtube. I don't watch TV or have any type of service

Ahhh, yes - the Super Bowl. Never watch those, or any football whatsoever. :lol:

So YouTube must be the new delivery system for this sort of thing then. Don't really watch or pay attention to YouTube unless I'm checking out an old music video, classic video game review or walkthrough. But the TV (regular broadcast and Charter Spectrum, so have a lot of "cable" channels I stream) is still the #1 form of regular entertainment that way at our house.

I admit, I'm a bit perplexed that the metric for proper marketing is still TV commercials. I've spent the better part of 20 years going out of my way to not see them. When people ask if I've seen a commercial, I feel like checking to see if Seinfeld is still on.

The marketing I would notice would be some kind of product tie-in. Nintendo hasn't been opposed to those in the past, and its led to some cool widgets on my shelf.

• Like 2

-edit-

Oh, okay - gotcha Flojo...

Just seems Nintendo believes all they needed to do was run a single ad during the Super Bowl. No other ads or commercials during any other programs or channels before or since? One television ad? Just seems odd to me, for something as mainstream as video games have become.

Maybe they're thinking they'll kinda/sorta quietly roll the thing out, let the software mature/squash bugs and by Thanksgiving when supply is adequate, can roll out a real advertising campaign in time for the holiday season.

I was responding to KeeperofLindblum, not you save2600.

It's too early for mass marketing (very expensive super bowl ad aside). The people who will buy this at launch will seek out the information themselves. Then the mainstream press will pick it up and give them free coverage.

I'm sure we can expect more of an advertising push for the holiday season, just as surely as there will be people saying they didn't market it well enough if it doesn't set the world on fire.

• Like 1

The other day I saw a full blown 30sec spot for the Switch mostly highlighting 1-2 Switch. I was surprised as it was an earlier hour and not on either Cartoon Network or Nick where they used to stupidly only run ads. Hopefully they fired their old ad idiots and got some people with a competent streak that will run most the spots on networks/times they actually will be seen by people who will buy it.

• Like 1