IGNORED

Best handheld for emulation (with lag in mind)?

toptenmaterial

$200, Nvidia Shield Tablet using the Tegra K1 chip. You won't find most likely a more powerful Android system for less. With the power of the Tegra chip you can get games locked down exclusively made just for it that bump up near to that PS3 level of quality. Yet you can go in other directions like you want, emulation. The Shield I've seen can handle upwards of the level of the Dolphin (Gamecube) emulator which there's an optimized version for android that runs well. If that gives you an idea of overhead, think of all the past systems/arcade/handhelds of the 80s and 90s that shouldn't be an issue as long as the emulation itself is sound. The only lacking part is the 16GB internal storage but you can get a microSD to remedy that easily enough. If you can find the original model (post battery recall) that used to cost $100 higher it comes with a nice stylus built into it but same hardware specs otherwise. The tablet also has a mini-HDMI port so you can get a HDMI cable to run it through your TV or computer LCD like a micro console seamlessly due to its design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_Tablet

Display 8-inch 1920x1200 LCD Processor Tegra K1 quad-core at 2.2 GHz 192-core Kepler GPU Storage 16GB MicroSD card expandable RAM 2GB
  • Like 1

^^ the Shield tech is good. There's also a handheld but it's a little less powerful and harder to find. It's like an XBOX "Duke" controller with some heavy batteries inside.

I have tried everything, but honestly I keep going back to the 3DS Virtual Console games because they're really solid. They don't have unlimited variety, and you need to buy everything a la carte, but the available selection is very good and the hardware can also do other things.

I have owned an nVidia Shield portable and it is a very good Android system with great emulation. Sold it when I needed some quick cash.

I keep coming back to my PSP. Love it for emulation and PSP games and it's fairly cheap. $40-$60 depending on the seller. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

The Shield handheld is notably weaker than the K1/X1 Shield Tablet/Console devices. Slower all around, less RAM too, kind of a pocket turd controller with a small screen kind of like attaching a phone to a MOGA controller. I'd avoid it if you wanted best handheld for emulator performance. Sure you'll need to pocket a small bluetooth controller with the tablet like I have, it's worth the boost.

I keep coming back to my PSP. Love it for emulation and PSP games and it's fairly cheap. $40-$60 depending on the seller. :)

Same here. I've got a Tegra tablet and a Xperia Play both loaded with emulators, but I keep going back to the PSP. The emulation is solid and the PSP library keeps me coming back.