IGNORED

Price surge for Intellivision Flashback Overlays?

Rev

Hi.

New Here.

I sure am interested in getting a pack of these overlays......but not at $250! goodness me! I wish I had purchased them back when they came out. I only recently discovered the flashback a week ago.

(sigh)

I wonder if paper overlays work at all? or what else can be used if anything.

-Doug

Hi.

New Here.

I sure am interested in getting a pack of these overlays......but not at $250! goodness me! I wish I had purchased them back when they came out. I only recently discovered the flashback a week ago.

(sigh)

-Doug

Search the forum about replacement overlays and see what comes up.

There have been people that print on paper or even transparency film.

With the expected release of the Intellivision Flashback 2, we can hope for a re-release of the overlay pack for the FB1

Hi.

New Here.

(sigh)

-Doug

You can try getting the original Mattel/Imagic overlays. Guys here might have extras they might sell and they are better quality than the flashback versions. Maybe start a new thread with a list of overlays you're looking for.

It all depends on what you're going for. The original supplemental overlay pack for the Flashback (2014/2015) was a STEAL at $15, especially since overlays for orphan (INTV Corp) games were included. Prior to that set, single pairs of Orphan Overlays by Psycho Stormtrooper were selling for an average of $6-8 with some (Diner) occasionally selling for up to $25 :o

There was a recent price surge where a few sets (<10) sold between $100-300, however the most recent sale on eBay was $52...still high, but it's hard to beat $1/pair under any conditions. Homebrewers can chime in if I'm way off.

If you emulate, use a multicart, or only have the loose carts and just want overlays, you have a few options:

1. Originals on eBay: Individually, you probably won't find any for less than $2/pair ($0.99 + $1.00 shipping). You might find a seller with a bunch who is cool with combining shipping. I occasionally see bigger (more affordable) lots on eBay, but it's hit or miss.

2. Make your own: Much more work and potentially expensive if you want quality.

3. Ask around here or post in the wanted section of the marketplace. Maybe someone will throw you a bone.

4. Honestly, most games don't require them and as you learn the game you stop looking anyway. There are pics of the overlays in the manuals and ample online sources where you can reference/print them. However, some games do use the keypad more heavily. You may want actual overlays for those (D&D, Tron, Utopia, Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Sub Hunt, etc), but they'll take a beating (and are harder to find in good condition).

Summary:

If you're just putting out a feeler for a cheap set, good luck. You never know until you ask. If you're willing to put some work into it, read up and try making some...or put some time into aggressively hunting for them (ebay, retro stores/sites, etc). How many games are we talking? 10 or 125? The less you need, I'd recommend buying originals on eBay. Want a complete set? Tougher task. Either way, good luck!

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Thanks for the advice. Will ask in the marketplace. :)

-Doug

It all depends on what you're going for. The original supplemental overlay pack for the Flashback (2014/2015) was a STEAL at $15, especially since overlays for orphan (INTV Corp) games were included. Prior to that set, single pairs of Orphan Overlays by Psycho Stormtrooper were selling for an average of $6-8 with some (Diner) occasionally selling for up to $25 :o

There was a recent price surge where a few sets (<10) sold between $100-300, however the most recent sale on eBay was $52...still high, but it's hard to beat $1/pair under any conditions. Homebrewers can chime in if I'm way off.

If you emulate, use a multicart, or only have the loose carts and just want overlays, you have a few options:

1. Originals on eBay: Individually, you probably won't find any for less than $2/pair ($0.99 + $1.00 shipping). You might find a seller with a bunch who is cool with combining shipping. I occasionally see bigger (more affordable) lots on eBay, but it's hit or miss.

2. Make your own: Much more work and potentially expensive if you want quality.

3. Ask around here or post in the wanted section of the marketplace. Maybe someone will throw you a bone.

4. Honestly, most games don't require them and as you learn the game you stop looking anyway. There are pics of the overlays in the manuals and ample online sources where you can reference/print them. However, some games do use the keypad more heavily. You may want actual overlays for those (D&D, Tron, Utopia, Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Sub Hunt, etc), but they'll take a beating (and are harder to find in good condition).

Summary:

If you're just putting out a feeler for a cheap set, good luck. You never know until you ask. If you're willing to put some work into it, read up and try making some...or put some time into aggressively hunting for them (ebay, retro stores/sites, etc). How many games are we talking? 10 or 125? The less you need, I'd recommend buying originals on eBay. Want a complete set? Tougher task. Either way, good luck!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, what's odd is that the $200 one sold just hours before this one at auction (sold for ~$80):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3226627823131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=322662782313&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I mean, great sale for Fushek, but the buyer must have thought the other auction would exceed $200 and jumped on the BIN. Don't get me wrong, they're really cool and even at $100 for a set of 52 pairs it's not a bad deal. Brand new overlays for $2/pair would be tough to beat on eBay. But $200? I guess I'm glad I grabbed 3 packs at $15/pack :D

What really blows my mind is that these go for $200, but a pack of Sears overlays won't sell at $125 :o

Yeah, what's odd is that the $200 one sold just hours before this one at auction (sold for ~$80):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3226627823131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=322662782313&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I mean, great sale for Fushek, but the buyer must have thought the other auction would exceed $200 and jumped on the BIN. Don't get me wrong, they're really cool and even at $100 for a set of 52 pairs it's not a bad deal. Brand new overlays for $2/pair would be tough to beat on eBay. But $200? I guess I'm glad I grabbed 3 packs at $15/pack :D

What really blows my mind is that these go for $200, but a pack of Sears overlays won't sell at $125 :o

Keep 1,sell 2! :)

Yeah, thought that was odd as well. Maybe they didn't notice the auction?

The irony of the situation is that I used profit from selling overlays to buy more overlays. Ordered one of the "blemished" Imagic overlay sets. :-D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

How

How much for the Emily stickers? :)

I just ordered a set of overlays,it was $32. and change to get to me.

If anyone has a complaint about how they can't find them now is your chance to fix that problem! :thumbsup: Dale W. (look for this moniker on the....). Coming out soon game!

For everyone's awareness: Intellivision Productions website is selling INTV Flashback supplemental overlay sets again for $22.99 each. Here's the link:

https://intellivision-productions-inc.myshopify.com

I wish they would just ship me the ones I paid for as pre-order before they ever came out... never got them from Keith and now emails go unanswered...

Troy

I wish they would just ship me the ones I paid for as pre-order before they ever came out... never got them from Keith and now emails go unanswered...

Troy

If you're the person who sent a tidy spreadsheet and you were missing most things in groups of six, I pulled those on Monday and left them with Emily.

• Like 1