IGNORED

Boxes

Zonie

Is it me, or does it seem that more O2 and INTV games seem to have their boxes? Did people take better care of these consoles since the O2 was marketed to Magnavox fans and the INTV was more spendy?

Perhaps because they were all Gatefolds and in the INTV, it also held the overlays?

I kept all my boxes until about 1997. Wish I had not put them in the recycle bin when moving cross country a second time. In retrospect, I should have flattened them and put them in a notebook in sheet protectors. At least I kept my Combat and Outer Space Gatefolds...

Most of my INTV games have the boxes and yeah, I think it's because it also had to hold overlays. People would be more likely to keep the box if it was useful. Atari 2600? Once you know how to play the game, the manual and box are "useless" so I'm sure many people tossed them for lack of need.

Some system's games had boxes that were made to store the game instead of just showing it off at retail. Seems like I see a lot of 02, Intv, Genesis, Master System boxes, but (relatively speaking) not as much GB, NES and such. Yeah, you could store the latter in the boxes, but they didn't have these convenient book-like cases.

Edited by Zookeeper

• 2 weeks later...

All my Intellivision games but one came with gatefold boxes. They were great to store everything; the one with the flip top box was a pain to reuse. If they were all like that I might have thrown the boxes out.

The old O2 boxes are pretty solid!

I agree that if most of the boxes were not gatefold not as many would not have survived this long.

Totally agree with this...

Most of my INTV games have the boxes and yeah, I think it's because it also had to hold overlays. People would be more likely to keep the box if it was useful. Atari 2600? Once you know how to play the game, the manual and box are "useless" so I'm sure many people tossed them for lack of need.

Makes sense.

Edited by Zonie