IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey

Rick Dangerous

Another lame princess kidnapping plot ugggh. Come up with something more original Nintendo no more princess kidnapping. Same problem with Zelda she keeps getting kidnapped again and again. A bad broken record.

No one is forcing you to buy let alone care about it. I'll concede only so much that it's almost infuriating they don't try and do a return to Subcon. I'd love to see Wart make a modern come back, maybe even a double team with Koopa. To bring that leader back would also give back the fun world end bosses of that game too that never really popped up again outside of sub-boss Birdo and some of the general enemies.

Another lame princess kidnapping plot ugggh. Come up with something more original Nintendo no more princess kidnapping. Same problem with Zelda she keeps getting kidnapped again and again. A bad broken record.

Princesses get Kidnapped as a plot point. Get over it already. Yes it's been done before. Mario and Link both break their asses to save damsels who deliberately get themselves into harms way. Over a dozen games in each series. And yes, Peach has been through two shotgun weddings already, once in Super Mario RPG and once in Super Paper Mario. First time in a main series, but heh! Mario went to the moon to save Peach in Thousand Year Door as well.

So unless your name is Anita Sarkeesian, I don't see what the fuss is about. Both series may be full of tropes but it doesn't make the game any less entertaining.

BTW, I beat the game earlier today, and the ending has one of the most awesome transformations yet!

No one is forcing you to buy let alone care about it. I'll concede only so much that it's almost infuriating they don't try and do a return to Subcon. I'd love to see Wart make a modern come back, maybe even a double team with Koopa. To bring that leader back would also give back the fun world end bosses of that game too that never really popped up again outside of sub-boss Birdo and some of the general enemies.

Wart would make an awesome stage boss in a new Mario game though. Various elements of Subcon are staples of the larger Marioverse. We got Birdo, Shyguys, Pokeys, and others out of it. Mario blasts off in a rocket. That's straight out of the SMB2 playbook.

Very much true about that. SMB2 as much as people want to be hipster haters over it is a key game of the history of the franchise given how much it played into the future games. The pick up, carry, then throw to hurt started there too as did the mini games for 1ups. The various enemies you said and others have popped up too. It's a big shame the big goon and his cronies (mouser, fryguy, clap trap, and triclyde) have never made a come back. It's not like Mario couldn't have another nightmare, or Bowser does some Inseption level crap and mind blows him into some fear corner having a horror flashback of those or some Matrix level is it real or not thing having them enter the real world. Whatever the case they're awesome bosses and leader who have vanished all but entirely.

I would like to see Wart again. As much as I yearned for a spiritual sequel to Mario64, this is even better, being not only a huge nod to Mario64 in the final stage, but also having an overaching thematic storyline like Sunshine, in this case being your sentient hat.

In sunshine, your FLUDD pack was used as the primary powerup mechanic, with the whole game having a tropical isle theme. They didn't just add in an ice level just because. With Odyssey, you have an explorer / tourist theme, complete with costumes to match the areas you visit, and a sentient side kick in the form of a shape-shifting hat, who is the principal means of attack and initiates all transformations. Even got the bonus stages full of floating platforms...

There are nods to nearly ever main series game in the series if you look hard enough. Primarily SMB1 and N64 though. I kinda wish you could explore more interior regions of the N64 reminiscent Peach's castle besides the courtyard and main hall. Heck even Donkey Kong makes a cameo in New Donk City.

I am just tired of the same plot over and over again.

You think I have it bad

Agreed, Pauline would make a much better suitor. If only Mario had stuck around, he could have been "first man" of New Donk City... But then where would be all the great filler games that came between Donkey Kong and Super Mario Odyssey!? :lolblue:

AND WHARE'S MAH MAIN GAL ROSALINA, DANGIT!!! :mad:

What is the point of making a Peach Amiibo if you can't use it in the game?

Pro tip: You can use any Peach Amiibo (smash, mario party, or wedding) in game, any time, anywhere. In fact you can scan her as many times as you like for free heart meter upgrades, even during boss fights! I didn't discover there was no scan limit until very late in the game. Almost makes beating an area feel cheap now...

One thing I am curious about: Is there a physical limit to the number of Moons you can buy in the shops after completing the main quest? I think I could have saved up enough coin by now to purchase a certain costume for $9999, were I not hung up on buying moons in bulk ten at a time... :P

Pro tip: You can use any Peach Amiibo (smash, mario party, or wedding) in game, any time, anywhere. In fact you can scan her as many times as you like for free heart meter upgrades, even during boss fights! I didn't discover there was no scan limit until very late in the game. Almost makes beating an area feel cheap now...

One thing I am curious about: Is there a physical limit to the number of Moons you can buy in the shops after completing the main quest? I think I could have saved up enough coin by now to purchase a certain costume for $9999, were I not hung up on buying moons in bulk ten at a time... :P

I believe your total moons max out at 999? I'm not sure how buying more than the required moons changes the very final unlock. Like perhaps you don't see the end credits scene until you collect the last moon regardless of maxing out? Edited by Loxx O)))

I'm at 301 currently. It's going to be very hard to get to 500.

I'm getting very close to 400 now and haven't even really explored dark side yet. I bulk bought a bunch of moons. I'm probably going to stop buying moons as I want that skeleton outfit. I'd likely have been there by now otherwise.

Someone mentioned online that you can buy additional moons until the cows come home but you can never exceed 999, nor do they count towards completion. So Toad or other shop keeper will happily take your money, asuming there's nothing else to spend it on. Something fun happens in Mushroom Kingdom when you hit 999 moons though. I won't spoil it. Damn youtubers...

I'm getting very close to 400 now and haven't even really explored dark side yet. I bulk bought a bunch of moons. I'm probably going to stop buying moons as I want that skeleton outfit. I'd likely have been there by now otherwise.

Someone mentioned online that you can buy additional moons until the cows come home but you can never exceed 999, nor do they count towards completion. So Toad or other shop keeper will happily take your money, asuming there's nothing else to spend it on. Something fun happens in Mushroom Kingdom when you hit 999 moons though. I won't spoil it. Damn youtubers...

Thanks for not spoiling it because I want to try. So are you saying buying moons to get to 999 don't count? I bought one at a shop because I thought it was a special moon just for that shop but once I saw you can buy more I stopped.

880 moons in the game, so at least 119 frivolous moon purchases required for 999. Prior to saving Peach only one moon per area is available in the shop, for 100 coins. Any additional moons purchased after story mode is completed do not count towards completion records. Collecting all 880 moons something special happens. Collecting 999 moons something special happens. Do not watch the following video. I did, and regretted it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently unlocked the Darker Side trial. After several failed attempts to cross even the first area (damn lava poles), I used an exploit to swim across the void of space and retrieve said Power Moon without even entering the pipe. Youtube is your friend. :grin:

Method #1:

Method #2:

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

I just got it recently. Eh, it's ok. I mean that's the way I feel about most Mario games. I always get sucked in by what everybody else is saying about them and then I get them and I think "oh, ok. Well, this is decent enough I guess." Same pattern every time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it. But it still frustrates me in the way basically all 3D platformers ever have (I can never get things quite lined up properly, especially when I need to jump on things... and yes I know you can look at the shadows). And at least to the point where I am now - I just got out of that Mexican desert level - there seems to be a lot of dead space that you have to waste time running through. I know you can teleport to checkpoints you've hit before, but say there's a big area in between two checkpoints, and you've only looked at stuff on the line in between the two. Unless you don't care about missing stuff, you still have to explore through all the rest of that area in between, which might take 20 minutes and there might be literally nothing there. I think they could have made some of these areas a little smaller and more condensed, but with more to do.

Or maybe I am just conditioned by other games to believe there must be "secrets" hidden in these far-afield areas, and Nintendo has made this game thinking typical Mario players would just be going from point A to point B all the time. Maybe I should just play that way.

Maybe I will feel differently when I get to New Donk City, which looks pretty dense from the screenshots I've seen.

I think they could have made some of these areas a little smaller and more condensed, but with more to do.

I think you underestimate the game. There are tons and tons and tons of stuff to do in the world. Some moons are as easy as butt-pounding a sparkling spot in the ground. Others you may need to solve a puzzle, wear a specific costume, talk to an NPC, defeat a boss, or clear a hidden area.

If you are having difficulty with the game's platforming elements, there is also a casual mode you can activate, but I've never used it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just collected the final purple coin in the game after much Bowser abuse. Picked up a few Power Moons along the way.

Funnily the fanfair was a bit different this time. Normally, you get clapping by finishing the last coin, similar to how it doee when you receive a Power moon., I got the clapping preceded by a jingle that sounds eeirly like the effect when you collect Zelda Rupees. LOL.

• Like 1

I've got ~585 moons now, can't say I didn't inflate my moon count though. I've got every cap in the game with a star (did the from swims swim through space cheat on darker side to get the triple moon and invisibility hat), just need to get the skeleton suit and I'll have every clothing item that exists. A bunch of costumes I unlocked from Amiibo, however my Gold and Silver Marios are still sealed so I needed to buy those at the shop. Just got the silver suit, resisting the urge to buy any more power moons until after I purchase the skeleton.

You still need to buy one Power Moon in every Kingdom for 100% completion; any additional moons you buy are duplicates that only inflate your total moon count, to a max count of 999.