IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey

Rick Dangerous

• 1 month later...

Been playing Balloon Rally for the first time tonight, and this really pisses me off.

post-33189-0-94730800-1530757709_thumb.jpg

post-33189-0-65974800-1530757888_thumb.jpg

Can someone please explain to me how it's possible to grab a balloon wedged underneath an unbreakable water tower? :mad:

EDIT: Apparently it's quite prevalent:

https://kotaku.com/mario-odyssey-players-are-breaking-the-new-balloon-mode-1823279254

• 2 weeks later...

Making good progress.. up to 47 moons now!

Damn man, you need some more Odyssey time :) I did that in one sitting...haha

When it comes to these Mario games I am addicted however. I just can't stop. I did now though...beat the game and have I think 617 moons. I know there are more, but when you get to the point I am at....ehh...I feel its time to move on. But with 47 moons you have a long way to go and a whole lot of goodness to experience. Kind of wish I were where you are right now to be honest...without the knowledge of what is in store that is ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first Mario game in this new millennium that made me really think of Super Mario 64 and the pure joy of playing that game for the first time. Mario Sunshine was extremely disappointing, and Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (while being very good) weren't quite up to that standard. Everything else has been short-burst levels like New SMB or Mario 3D World. But Odyssey is REALLY great.

We've got around 50 moons but we're taking it at a slower pace because my daughter (who is 10) has been doing around 90% of the playing. :lol:

Speaking of which, the total absence (apparently) of those way over-powered power-ups like Super Mario 3D World had (white cat suit) really upped the challenge level for her, and I think it's good for her. Games should be something you have to work at.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Been playing lots of Super Mario Odyssey recently. I got 999 moons

and the top had on top of Peach's Castle,

mostly from padding my totals from the item shops, but still got a bunch of in game moons to go. Bonneton is 100% finished, New Donk City I'm lacking one moon, the dreaded 100 jumprope challenge. Lotta good rebooting the jump rope challenge did, as the "v 2.0" leaderboard is still full of 99,999 entries. I beat timer challenge 3 by cheating with the scooter (no way I could get near the finish without it), and for Koopa running, I shimmied up the skyscraper using the electrical cable, then dived downwards towards the goal, nailing a sub-25 time on the second Koopa Running challenge.

I've got all but the second Koopa Running on Cascade Kingdom, because the golden Koopa takes a cheap jump shortcut that seems impossible for me to pull off.

Sand Kingdom, I lack two moons, one of them running over the sinking spire over the poison swamp, and the other is capturing a bullet bill to the extent pillar, which I can't seem to make it. This requires spin-boosting, and I hear the spin moves are easier to pull off with detached joycon compared to my preferred Pro controller.

Looking at the Toadette achievements, I still need to get the Sphinx goal, and to my horror this involves talking to the Shyinx in Darker Side. Yep, I skipped it with the frog glitch last year, which is no longer feasible since the update. Now I know if I ever want to finish all 100% of Toadette's Achievements, I gotta do at least half of that assinine deathathon stage to get the Sphyinx award.

I'm currnently clearing out Wooded Kingdom right now. I also noticed reading online this was some people's least favorite level, but I actually enjoyed this layout, though not as much as cascade kingdom. New Donk City and Sand kingdoms are my favorite, then PEach's Castle. I think my least favorite level is the Food Kindgom, still have a metric ton of moons to collect there. I think falling in the soup can get annoying as well as the food theme (possibly no fault of the game developers, but all those times I wanted to use the big TV but my mom was hogging it with Food Network dumb reality shows, uggg).

Same here, haven't touched it in I don't know how long. It's a good game, but it almost felt like it was just handing out too much candy (moons) it almost got annoying. The design and the rest I enjoyed much like I did Mario 64 or Galaxy in the days. There's little to fault it with other than maybe too much going on.

• Like 1

Same here, haven't touched it in I don't know how long. It's a good game, but it almost felt like it was just handing out too much candy (moons) it almost got annoying. The design and the rest I enjoyed much like I did Mario 64 or Galaxy in the days. There's little to fault it with other than maybe too much going on.

No such thing as too many moons. Many are low hanging fruit. Some are easy to find if you already know how to find them, but require doing the most random things to discover. Others out in the open require a good bit of strategy to reach. Then some require daunting acrobatics or blistering speed to attain. Some are stupid hard.

I think each area in the game can seem about as large as the entire universe in Mario 64 or Sunshine. Even some of the platforming bonus areas are larger than entire n64 levels. Like Zelda Breath of the Wild, there is so much to do, see, and explore. Both games representing Nintendo's quintessential flagship series go above and beyond the scale of anything ever created. Botw is a spiritual successor to ocarina of time, and odyssey is likewise to mario 64. Much as I loved Galaxy's whacky physics, I can understand how it gave many players and spectators vertigo or motion sickness. Fortunately any bonus areas with gravity are constrained to 2d areas so that makes it more pallatable.

Odyssey's Capy has numerous analogs to Sunshine's Fludd pack. Cappy is the primary attack mechanic besides jumping, and an entire bonanza of special abilities attained by grabbing targets. At first I was afraid the cap theme would get long winded but it never did. The sheer variety of levels in the game is astounding. Like Mario 64, Galaxy 1, there are around 15 unique locales. Sunshine only had 7 but they were larger than 64s. There is so much to do after beating the game, it's hard to get bored with it. I'm using the guide to systematically grab all the moons I can get. I already had all costumes, purple coins, and collectibles, but still lots of moons left.

Although I am now "capped" at 999, there is still a lot more to do. So while I may never attain 100% completion in either Zelda or Mario, just so much stuff toying with my adult adhd, it's an endless sidetrack. Especially breath of the wild. If a version of Mario existed where the worlds were connected the way regions in Breath of the Wild are, it would be incredible. This was the return to free range exploratory worlds that fans had been clamoring for ever since Galaxy got too linear and 3d land /world built grid based jungle gyms in the style of nsmb. I hope we don't see a return to grid based 3d platforming anytime soon. And I hope they make future 2d marios more organic like dk tropical freeze, and less ridgid grids of endless bricks...

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I think should have not been included in Odyssey is the ability to "buy" moons. That is just a weasel way out of obtaining moons in my personal opinion. You can collect coins all day and keep buying moons. They should be earned...and only earned.

Moons cap out at 99 moons per shop. Or 999 moons for the odyssey. Extra moons 2-99 purchased in a shop don't count towards game completion however.