IGNORED

Yooka-Laylee: an homage to Banjo Kazooie & 3D Collect-a-thons

Rick Dangerous

Anyone else excited for this? Heard any rumors or release dates? Banjo Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer of all time and I play it through in full at least once a year. So needless to say i'm excited about this one. Who else is ready for a bright, beautiful, fun, collect a thon?

Share any new, info, or thoughts here!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just bought this game for the Xbox One. For 32$, I couldn't resist.

I played the first couple of levels (collected a couple of gold pages). Graphics are what you would expect, bright and colorful, very reminiscent of Banjo Kazooie or the Donkey Kong game Rare did for the Nintendo 64. It seems pretty good once you get past the first 5 minutes of the annoying story that can't be skipped or sped up.

I am assuming that this is out for the PS4 and Switch as well.

Any release date for this for switch yet? Have been itching for a good platformer lately....

Also wondering if this will get a physical release or be download only.

EDIT:

https://fenixbazaar.com/2017/03/29/yooka-laylee-switch-version-out-as-soon-as-possible/

"as soon as possible" is all they are saying at this time..

Edited by travistouchdown

It's out on GoG too, but switch I think I'd like to have it on so I'll wait ...for now. IF they decide to burn Switch people and I see a 50% off sale on GoG first, I'm not rewarding despicable behavior with full price buying.

By the way what's up with the whiny asses online crying about politics, social justice warriors, and that internet youtube nobody jontron making up 1star whinefest non-reviews about the game to try and harm it in the polling?

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing and my interest is falling off given the reviews and their jackassery of not having it out with the other versions. It's the same garbage pulled with Watchdogs by Ubisoft on the WiiU which in turn caused it to sell horribly as people bought it elsewhere and I can't blame buyers one bit.

If this arrives about the time I start seeing the other ownable copy you can get on GoG (since you have backup and save the installer, added content) with a 25% or more off discount I'm going to buy it on there instead. I'd probably out of spite wait for a 50% off sale just because I'd have bought other games already to keep myself busy with. I don't reward video game company bad behavior with my wallet, ever.

Tanooki, whining about it only makes you sour grapes. Fine wine takes a while to make. It will come, red and full-bodied, when it gets here. I backed Yookah-Laylee first for Wii-U, later for Switch, and I will get Yookah-Laylee on a Nintendo platform or bust.

A good game is a good game. I just repurchased World of Goo for Swtich because I enjoyed some ten years ago on Wii. Likewise I don't care if Street Fighter II Ultra has been around since 2008. Switch will be my first time playing it.

• Like 2

The delay on this is killing me....it's the Number One game I want to play on my Switch right now. Anyone heard anything new?

Here's something. I think a delay is fine if they can improve the game based on feedback from the PC version. "A bad game is bad forever."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/yooka-laylee_could_be_much_improved_by_the_time_the_switch_version_arrives

• Like 2

Tanooki, whining about it only makes you sour grapes. Fine wine takes a while to make. It will come, red and full-bodied, when it gets here. I backed Yookah-Laylee first for Wii-U, later for Switch, and I will get Yookah-Laylee on a Nintendo platform or bust.

A good game is a good game. I just repurchased World of Goo for Swtich because I enjoyed some ten years ago on Wii. Likewise I don't care if Street Fighter II Ultra has been around since 2008. Switch will be my first time playing it.

Not trying to snark here, but how is that whining? You sound like a Nintendo fanboy and Y-L apologist saying that (and I know you're not). Did they say back when the original kickstarter came up that PC, Sony and MS gets it first, then months later Nintendo? Or did they just freely accept promised payment from all backers with a choice of game when it arrives to the market? If it was the latter, I think anyone has a strong case to be pissed off and complain about it. It's a known, long established one back into the 20th century with the console wars that if you release one game on 1+ systems, then push the other out for whatever reason later it will sell like crap, and if the consumer has the means they'll buy it on another format.

I think my comment was entirely fair and reasonable. Unless they intend to learn from the game, and THIS is why they're still delaying it further with no date in sight to repair the Switch game (and in turn bringing the wonky current title an update along side) I'm more fine with that, albeit not entirely as it was unless I recall wrong was pitched as a simultaneous release originally. It's their choice when/how to release it as it's mine to decide when/if to buy it because they held it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it for ps4. Awesome game and feels like rare made it. Says I've already put 15 hours into it collected 45 pzgies and 480 quills. Just got to the Halloween level. If I ever get a switch I'd definitely pick this up for it.

Like the bright colorful graphics and subtle (or not so subtle in some cases) adult humor. And come on you get to be a gecko and a bat who are nicely animated.

• Like 1

Gotcha, and no, I didn't. I've seen enough people get hosed over kickstarters failing (or making promises then redoing the project significantly ticking off backers), or worse indiegogo where they still keep a portion where I just won't touch the stuff. I could see being frustrated over the WiiU but to even think to kickstart it when they did just seemed kind of dumb as it was already more or less dead meat and with a very low userbase making it a risky venture.

Gotcha, and no, I didn't. I've seen enough people get hosed over kickstarters failing (or making promises then redoing the project significantly ticking off backers), or worse indiegogo where they still keep a portion where I just won't touch the stuff. I could see being frustrated over the WiiU but to even think to kickstart it when they did just seemed kind of dumb as it was already more or less dead meat and with a very low userbase making it a risky venture.

There were more Wii-U backers than you think.
  • Like 1

Oh I would think there were a good many WiiU backers, a measurable percentage at least for certain, given the overall tiny user base that zombie system has. When you're starved in general for third party games, let alone anything that isn't just casual or downright sucks you run up there like the old Fry meme 'shut up and take my money!'

Tanooki, what is your problem with the YL Kickstarter? Did you back it? If not, you have no right to complain about how it was run.

Those of us who backed Wii-U overwhelmingly were in support of the Switch version with a small handful switching their pledges to PS4, Xbone, or Steam. A few whiners out there sure, but this is always the case with any campaign. I transferred my pledge to Switch and will wait as long as it takes to get it.

= = = = = = = =

And I think the reviewers claiming it's the "90s all over again" or think collecting sucks are missing the point. Some of us do have nostalgia for the era, and even those who don't can enjoy the game with an open mind. If you're going for story or any% completion, it shouldn't matter that you uncover every single item in the game. If you enjoy 5th gen Collectathon style platformers, you will probably love YL. Sadly I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I imagine I'll enjoy it. I doubt it will be the slog that DK64 was...

• Like 1

I have no problem with that kickstarter, I have a problem with kickstarter in general, yet not so much as others who go farther than promised funds into actually keeping them whether what you were pitched comes out or not, or in a style you weren't sold upon. It's just panhandling in the end, begging for money for whatever the need or item may be. It's basically a digital version of a turned over hat on a street corner begging for coins.

YL itself looks like a fantastic game, if you know what you're getting into it for, which is basically a reskinned slightly updated Banjo Kazooie sequel really. I doubt it'll be the painful nightmare that was DK64 too with that horrid 5x over re-run of every stage with a different monkey to make the game seem bigger. It's probably more like the true third release of a Banjo 3D platformer on a Nintendo console/handheld platformer but just not using their names or likeness since Rare owns it.

I think you're taking my snark towards the WiiU and it's game starved small fan base because of Nintendo's repeated stupid moves and third party intentional sabotage that killed it in its place. And that I do have a right to crap on having wasted $300 on that doomed box of wrongs and little right.

Edited by Tanooki

• 1 month later...