IGNORED

How do you play your Switch?

Rick Dangerous

In what mode do you play your switch most?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play your switch most?

• In the dock
    • In portable mode solo
    • In portable mode multi
    • A near 50/50 mix of dock and portable

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm finding i'm nearly 50/50 between in the dock and portable. I also spend a few hours today with it on my kitchen table with my joycons plugged into my controller and some headphones on while my daughter watched a movie and my wife cooked.

I have also played it on the couch several times for a number of hours with headphones on, and a few nighttime gaming sessions in my basement office/gameroom.

I have played it mobile enough times that i'm thinking of going and getting a carrying case next week to protect the screen and hold a few game cards. I will say that once I get a second dock or two I anticipate the split being more like 70 (dock) to 30 (mobile) but we will see.... The unit is surprisingly small and very portable. Lynx size but much much thinner. I am only hoping they release a high capacity battery or some way to make it last longer on the go. Battery life reminds me of good times with my Sega Game Gear :)

How are you playing your Switch so far? :)

I chose docked. The first time I played was in handheld mode and every time since has been docked. The main reason is because I did a really crappy job trying to put the screen protector on.

I'm sure there will be a good glass screen protector in the next few months, the plastic ones are just too hard to put on properly.

Funny story I paid 8 bucks for one at best buy, another $7 to have the resident "pro" put it on. Needless to say he botched it and I got a return for all funds spent.

Flying screen protector free right now and taking extra good care of it...

Never put one on my Wii U and no problems but don't want to risk it with the glass screen of the Switch.

• 2 months later...

Not surprised other people have become interested in this topic.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/poll_how_do_you_play_the_nintendo_switch_-_as_a_portable_home_console_or_hybrid

I find myself playing mine in portable mode more, even on my couch with my TV and dock just feet away. Sometimes it's most convenient to just plop down, pull it out of sleep mode, and play for a few minutes...

I saw that post but hadn't made a comment to it.

When it comes to the Switch I honestly do not have a preferred mode, but within that comment I can add so far with some games I've done far more or entirely one mode over the other. In the 50 plus hours on Zelda every moment was on the TV. I'm not even sure why but it just was that way.

Yet when I played my physical copy of I Am Setsuna I probably put 2/3 of that time in handheld mode. There was no benefit other than I could stretch out on the couch and relax playing it as it's not so intense in an RPG.

Binding of Isaac is more intense kind of, yet that one I did use pretty much exclusively the few hours I've used it just as a portable. Blaster Master 0 I don't think I've used on the TV either other than to see it.

I've not but once or twice used Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart 8 or Lego City Undercover due to just leaving town and being pretty busy after coming back. I don't dislike them, but I've got stuff going on and too much on my plate so distraction sets in so I can't be fair to say either way on those.

• 1 month later...

Dont' bother, pay $30 off ebay for a new 8bitdo NES (or FC) PRO device.

It has every single button that the Switch has rolled up into a comfortable SNES sized controller. Top has both sets of Ls and Rs, the face is a match, and the -/+ buttons are represented on the bottom (not back) of the controller. All you have to do is update the firmware, sync it to the Switch in the controller menu and you're done. All you'll have to do is just tap the joycon once just to get the menu up, and you can put it away and use the other which is very comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly Docked. The only game I have right now is Breath of the Wild, so I find it easier to do some of the Shrines with the joycons snapped into the controller rather than having to worry about it when in portable mode.

My Girlfriend though LOVES playing it almost 100% exclusively as a portable. I will admit, it's pretty cool to just put your headphones in and kinda zone off adventuring for hours.

It's a great design and really cool that the system is so versatile.

I just got mine a couple days ago, but so far I'm playing it almost entirely docked. That may change, but it just doesn't really feel as much like a "handheld" system as I initially thought it would. It's too big and heavy and, probably most importantly, feels a little fragile to me. I guess with every new product I buy I go through a special snowflake phase where I can't live with a single tiny little scratch, but my Switch already seems a little bent out of the box (it's the back cover, there's a bit of a bulge), the screen on mine wasn't even entirely glued down, and it doesn't sit securely in the dock, which makes me afraid to pick it up and put it down too much.

I have bad luck with Nintendo hardware.

Trust me it's not that heavy nor is it fragile. I use it both ways just depending on mood.

Right now it's off as I'm working on some update stuff on my laptop but it's on my table here with the 8bitdo nes 30 pro in front of it. ;) I'm not quite certain other than only on TV with Zelda but once, but it just depends on mood which way I go with using the thing as it really matters not to me. If I want the TV not bandited, or it's in use, or perhaps I just want to stretch out it goes handheld mode. Otherwise it stays docked.

Trust me it's not that heavy nor is it fragile.

Well, mine is definitely defective. The screen that I mentioned not being glued down properly just keeps popping up. I'm gonna need to get it repaired...

I noticed this tonight while playing handheld for the first time in an extended session.

This is the second Nintendo system in a row I've needed to get repaired for a physical defect (because it's not like you can just go exchange a Nintendo product these days...)

Edited by spacecadet

Weird two defective ones eh? I had a stupid firmware update make my WiiU years ago implode basically making a brick out of it. Happened just after the warranty went out when they did that huge repair update for the menu problems so they fixed it free, problem is it wasn't, it was a stupid refurb and the black case was scuffed up a little which I was pissed about. Not too long after that I ended up selling it as it ran out of games basically to bother with. :) Other than that I've never had a problem and Nintendo is known as the least likely to make a lemon among the past/present makers, so I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

Other than that I've never had a problem and Nintendo is known as the least likely to make a lemon among the past/present makers, so I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

Apparently the screen raising up issue is pretty common. If you search for "switch screen not flush", "switch screen popping out" or "switch screen lifting up", you'll see a lot of results for all of those. I'm convinced that this is the kind of thing manufacturers know affects a certain percentage of units, but that only a small percentage of the owners of those units would even notice, and that's what they're counting on. So they determine it costs them less to fix individual units than it would to fix their production process. Essentially they're doing the Ford Pinto cost-benefit analysis. But when I spend $300 on a piece of electronics, I expect it to be built properly and I inspect it really closely.

My 3DS had a similar issue, where it didn't close flat. Nintendo replaced my 3DS. Wouldn't surprise me if they then sold my original 3DS to someone else as a refurb.

I'll probably be sending my Switch in too. I may wait a few days in case I get lucky and a Target near me gets some more Switch units in so I can exchange it.

Fair enough I would return it too, and it most definitely is playing the Pinto game as you put it. I can't blame them either it's just cheaper instead of starting over. They'll end up correcting it with better glue or more application of it in future runs I would imagine as it wouldn't cost them, but a retooling now would. Anytime I get a unit with a screen on it I always look for anything pixel related and if it ever happened to me I'd get crappy about it and demand a replacement. I've got better than 20-20 vision and the one curse of that is I notice out of place stuff very easily and I then obsess over it and it drives me nuts, particularly with handheld entertainment (phone, laptop, shield tablet, switch, all things Gameboy, you name it.) I can manage with some very fine scuffs that only the light has to hit right, but anything worse or pixel stuck/outage and that's where I get stuck. The glue thing, I would have been pissed about it too if the screen was coming up because I'd get paranoid thinking dust would get in there, then lit up like a whited out pixel and I'd keep looking at it.