IGNORED

1050 to Sio2SD Sector Copier

wesmond

Hi all,

This feels like a kind of problem I should be able to solve by googling, but I've somehow failed to find a working solution, until I've gone nearly insane with it...

I want to copy my old 1050, DOS 2.5 enhanced density disks, onto ATRs on my Sio2SD. And I'd like it to retry (or at worst, ignore) any dodgy sectors that won't read.

Also, ideally, I want Sio2SD to be drive #1, and 1050 to be drive #2, and to copy from #2 -> #1. No copy-protection issues - these are just my own work from decades past.

BellCom sector copier - nearly works, but only as far as sector 2D0.

CopyAll detects Enhanced Density and says, "Can't do it"

CopyMate 4.4 gives write error/format error when trying to write to the ATR on the SD card.

MyCopyR! same problem as CopyMate - fails as soon as it tries to write to the SD card.

DOS 2.5 Duplicate Disk option - very nearly does it - but... one sniff of an erroneous bad sector and it aborts right away.

At which point I've got a bit fed up! This doesn't sound like it should be rocket science.

Has anyone got a favourite sector copier that I've not yet managed to fail with?

Extreme thanks if anyone can rescue me...

Wes

Don't run 'RW.COM'. It is OK, but takes a long time and writes a big file on your disk. It
is somebody elses 'TEST' sector writing program. I'd say, if you start it, probably let it finish.

Here's mine. RW14B.COM on a MyDOS453.ATR

RW.zip

Edited by russg

Thanks Russ - trying it out...

Yep, my source is a DOS 2.5, ED formatted disk - the BellCom Sector Copier offers a "Start/End" sector to type in, but it won't let me type more than 2D0 - hence the copier only supports SD I think. Standard Atari DOS 2.5 will go further than 2D0 (which I can see on the SIO2SD) - so my disk seems to be ED - but there's one damaged sector at around 310 that makes it abort.

Well, plain old MyDos should do what you want, but it will terminate if it can't read a sector after a few retries.

It is the J option on the menu, written thus:

Source,Destination (Start Sector-End Sector)/N

or for example:

2,1(1-1040)/N

The /N means do not format the destination. The default is to format the destination, so if you leave off the /N, the destination will be formatted. Of course, do write protect your source.

Wish I could offer something slicker, but this works well for me. ED was never that popular in the US, so most of the copiers I have are SD/DD. Some of the guys from the Euro area probably have good ED copiers, maybe ones that will ignore bad sectors.

Here is an ATR with the latest version of MyDos that I'm aware of. Note, using the sector copier function, MyDos will have no issues with the Dos 2.5 ED format. But it cannot write individual files to a Dos 2.5 ED disk past 720. (Best to use Dos 2.5 if you are writing files to a 2.5 disk!)

-Larry

MyDos 455 Beta 4.atr

Russ, using your copier - even if I type "1040" in as the number of sectors to copy (which I think is the correct number - 40 tracks, 26 sectors per track, 128 bytes per sector for 1050 density), it stopped at 720 and said it's all finished.

It also gave errors working out the density on both the 1050, and the SD-ATR - 1 Error 138 at Sector 360 - but then it correctly used 128 bytes/sector for both the 1050 and the SD, which I think is correct.

I can distinctly remember using a nice pretty sector copier that showed me the data/chksums, and I could tap retry repeatedly on a dodgy sector until by chance it got the chksum right... But I can't remember what it was called...

Lovely - MyDos 4.55 does the job fine. (4.53 doesn't - it seems to shorten the ATR on the SD card to single density, and then have write errors when writing sectors after 2D0...)

It at least does a generous number of retries on the bad sector - maybe 10 - so I got away with it this time...

Thanks for the help guys.

W.

Russ, using your copier - even if I type "1040" in as the number of sectors to copy (which I think is the correct number - 40 tracks, 26 sectors per track, 128 bytes per sector for 1050 density), it stopped at 720 and said it's all finished.

It also gave errors working out the density on both the 1050, and the SD-ATR - 1 Error 138 at Sector 360 - but then it correctly used 128 bytes/sector for both the 1050 and the SD, which I think is correct.

I can distinctly remember using a nice pretty sector copier that showed me the data/chksums, and I could tap retry repeatedly on a dodgy sector until by chance it got the chksum right... But I can't remember what it was called...

Yes, RW14B will get an error when determining single density, I believe. But the purpose

is to determine bytes/sector, which it gets as 128.

Also, the copy ENTIRE disk only does 720 sectors. I believe, if you want to copy an ED

1020 sectors, you use 'Partial Copy' and give the correct number of sectors.

I never ran into an ED disk, so I didn't think ENTIRE DISK would be other than 720 sectors, .... or something.

I will try to hunt up an ED .atr to play with.

Can't seem to find an ED .ATR. You got one?

Otherwise, I'll have to fire up my 1050 and format one and make an .ATR out of it.

Edited by russg

Well,

not all Sectorcopy programs do support medium/enhanced/1050 density (130k format). Furthermore, several copy programs work with standard speed, but some have built-in ultraspeed...

The SIO2SD supports ultraspeed (Pokey divisor 5 or 6), but also higher speeds (up to Pokey divisor 0/zero). So your problem might be a) the sectorcopy program does not support the 130k format or b) the sectorcopy program does ultraspeed but is limited to Pokey divisor 5 or 6, while the SIO2SD (and maybe your OS) tries to use a higher speed (e.g. Pokey divisor 0), which will produce an error...

Examples: Mycopier! does 130k, but supports ultraspeed limited to Pokey divisor 5 or 6, if your SIO2SD is set to a higher Pokey divisor (e.g. zero) it will not work. Almost all versions of Copymate (except one!) do NOT support 130k, only SD (90k) and DD (180k), no matter if it is the oldest version Copymate 1.0 or the newest version Copymate 4.4. Most (if not all) versions of Copymate do support ultraspeed and are therefore limited to Pokey divisor 5 or 6...

I said all Copymate versions, except one ? Yes, there is one patched version of Copymate available, it is Copymate 3.8, this one supports 90k, 130k, 180k, 360k and even 720k; built-in ultraspeed has been removed here, so it works only with standard speed, unless you are using an alternative OS (e.g. XL-OS with highspeed-patch by HiasSoft, also known as highspeed-OS or Hi-Os or XL-Hi).

Attached you will find Copymate 3.8 on a 130k image; it boots automatically thanks to a bootloader. When loaded, you are presented the helpscreen, simply press <spacebar> to go to the next screen. Here you can setup your configuration (Verify on/off, number of Retries, etc.) and change drives. Simply press <Start> when you are done and want to copy a disk with 90k/130k/180k format (single-sided). The program will continue reading when an error occurs (with the set number of retries), so there is no need to press a key several times if there is more than one error on a disk...

Good luck !

COPMAT38.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments everyone - I'll check the settings on my Sio2SD. I haven't changed those yet, and by observation, it's reading/writing at a similar speed to my 1050. I'll also see how the modified COPMAT38 goes, and the partial copy on your tool Russ. Attached is a 130k ATR file - it contains a basic game from Home Computing Weekly I typed in a few months ago!

And thanks also for the simple DOS idea - copying by file is a good idea to see where problems come up. My disks/drives aren't in too bad shape, so usually it's just a couple of retries on a sector or two, and it all copies ok. So on the whole I've been more interested in "just copy the whole thing without aborting please".

W.

PS - I'm guess I'm quite "old fashioned" - I haven't got into SpartaDOS yet. One thing at a time...!

radro.atr

Edited by wesmond

If you only want to copy files, then a filecopy or multi-filecopy does the job much better than copying files with DOS. With DOS you may have to type in several filenames (if you don`t use *.*), with a filecopy/multi-filecopy you simply tag the files you want to copy to another disk. There are also filecopy programs that act like a file-manager (similar to Norton Commander) and let you copy files, rename files, lock files, unlock files, format a disk, etc.

Some filecopy/multi-filecopy programs are alas DOS-dependant, meaning they will only work with a certain DOS (e.g. only with DOS 2.5, only with Turbo-DOS, only with DOS II+D, only with SpartaDOS, etc.). Attached are some filecopy + multi-filecopy + file-manager programs, read the docs that are available, so you know how they work and for what kind of DOS they were made (not all programs have docs)...

Some of the programs work with two drives, some work with one drive + ramdisk, some work with one drive only. Here you will find a detailed description of BCopy (named BBKCopy on the ATR):

http://www.rts-software.com/8bit/bcopy.php

There are several other filecopy / multi-filecopy programs that work similar to this one...

Filecopy_Fileman.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Little update - CopyMate 3.8 is good on nearly all fronts with what I wanted to do (enhanced density full disk copy -> Sio2SD, with retry, Drive #2 -> #1) The only thing to note is in the name - "CopyMate XE" - it needs 128k or more, and won't run on my 800xl in stock 64k mode.

I have U1Mb, and CopyMate was very happy in Rambo 320k mode for a start (I didn't try others - no need!)