IGNORED

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Advice/Help thread

Tanooki

I finally made a breakthrough on Zelda tonight and found the last 2 shrines to get the glider. I was stuck on finding warm clothes so I just said screw it and climbed to the top of the mountain while periodically eating apples and mushrooms. It worked and I'm back to having fun again. What a great game!

Near the back of the temple towards the gate at the base of the mountain, there are some hot peppers. Cook the hot pepper with any meat, fish, fruit, or shroom ingredient to create a spicy meal that restores some hearts and adds a timed cold-resistance stat boost. You can consume these meals to withstand the cold for a period of time, or give one to the old man in exchange for the warm doublet, which grants +1 cold immunity.

Useful tips if your roughing it and can't find a proper pot to cook things.

Yeah, good stuff to know (and like you said, not that hard to figure out.. I'm really glad this game doesn't make things horribly vague).

My personal strategy is to make as many meals at once and max out that inventory, that way I don't have to worry about hitting a lit pot to cook things in. There's always the fast travel back to a stable or town, and fires are free there. Or, if I absolutely need a pot lit (it's maybe happened once in my playthrough), fire arrows do the trick just as well as anything else. :thumbsup:

Animals are everywhere, and eventually it will be very common not to go far and find a pack of 3 wolves. You don't see them always first, but you'll hear the howl and they come. One nicely tossed bomb will kill 1+ of them (the others will scatter) and they leave 1-2meat a piece. They're the easiest of kills as they run up begging for you to blast them instead of running off having to waste arrows or something on them.

Another thing to consider, it is possible to sell most any weapon or gear in a shop, excluding important plot based items like the master sword. Weapons eventually break on their own, but rare items or clothing may be difficult or impossible to reacquire if you sell them. Though it would take a special type of idiocy to cook or sell something rare like a Korok seed when they can be used to increase your inventory, or sell irreplaceable armor that grants special status upgrades. However some items may only be found in chests or by clearing special quests, which do not respawn after a time period unlike shop inventory, field enemies, or ore deposits, and the temptation exists to sell something valuable in a shop for rupees to grab some special gear, rather than grind for items, especially if the player doesn't know they need the rare item for a future event or sidequest in the game. Not everyone got the game guide they can consult whenever they are in doubt about something.

You know...the truth is that unless you read a guide or something, you wouldn't have any clue what those Korok seeds are for initially. I had well over twenty of them before I met up with the large Korok and found out what they actually for. Not sure why I wasn't compelled to sell them, I guess because I forgot about them honestly!!

Point being is that because of the fact that you can in fact sell of Korok seeds and they don't magically come back, it does seem possible that I could have essentially lost this dragon scale and now I've no way to actually complete the Wisdom Spring quest. I didn't play it last night, but will see if I can get to some playtime on Zelda tonight.

• Like 1

There's 900 korok seeds; it "only" takes 440 to max out your inventory, so if you sold some, it would be OK.

Some of the little guys can be a bitch to find without a guide though. I have been avoiding the guide lately as it's more fun at this point to simply stumble upon stuff. Or suppose you unlock a ballon trial and you've fresh run out of arrows. I speak from experience. :P

Also unrelated but anyone ever have a blood moon pop up while you were clearing an enemy hideout? Once I found a skull hideout in the snow capped mountains full of nasty bokoblins and they had a stash of dynamite barrels inside so I took out the guards with arrows before they knew what hit them and non-chalantly rolled a remote bomb into the skull hut and detonated the dynamite. Most of them suffered 3/4 or more damage so I ran in there to clean house melee style. One Bokoblin left with a sliver of health and I was that close to unlocking the demon chest stored there and raid the place of all their dropped loot when the blood moon ressurected all the slain baddies. I was literally standing inside the monster den when it happened and they immediately dogpiled on me, and let's say I was lucky to escape with half a heart left. Rotten timing, LOL...

Also unrelated but anyone ever have a blood moon pop up while you were clearing an enemy hideout? Once I found a skull hideout in the snow capped mountains full of nasty bokoblins and they had a stash of dynamite barrels inside so I took out the guards with arrows before they knew what hit them and non-chalantly rolled a remote bomb into the skull hut and detonated the dynamite. Most of them suffered 3/4 or more damage so I ran in there to clean house melee style. One Bokoblin left with a sliver of health and I was that close to unlocking the demon chest stored there and raid the place of all their dropped loot when the blood moon ressurected all the slain baddies. I was literally standing inside the monster den when it happened and they immediately dogpiled on me, and let's say I was lucky to escape with half a heart left. Rotten timing, LOL...

Yes, several times. There was one time I wiped out an enemy hideout, then decided to use their open fire and rest for the night. I woke up surrounded by enemies. Fun times.

• Like 1

Was trying to catch fireflies and fairies near a Fairy fountain. A buck jumped out of nowhere and next thing I know, I was riding it. So I tried to board it at a stable for laughs. Stables don't board bucks in case you didn't know. Also bucks are way slower than horses anyway, zero stamina bars so you can't gallop.

I dunno, thought this was kinda funny so I thought I'd share it... :P

post-33189-0-97403300-1490314604_thumb.jpg

There some specific trick to bagging fairies? I've only gotten lucky to be mashing the pick up button while one was low flying away instead of going up and outwards. They're quite handy obviously.

What you want to do is sneak up on them when in a fairy fountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do fairies activate before or after Misha's grace? I've fallen twice in battle already. No fairy revival but both times Misha's Grace restored my health plus 5 hearts. Also the shop resell price for fairies is insulting considering their rarity. Gathering luminous stones and precious ore and selling them to merchants or shop owners is about the fastest way to gold farm that I have discovered.

As for the dragon scale thing, I had one but now it is gone. Not sure if I may have sold it at some point. I believe there are three or four dragons roaming the world in various areas, some posessed by elemental powers. If you get close enough to shoot the body with an arrow (without getting close enough that you get burned/shocked/frozen by it's elemental power) it will drop a scale. You can also get shards by hitting various parts of the dragon. I do not believe they can be killed, but you definitely can collect the missing dragon part, but it is difficult to do, as you must be in the correct place at the correct time to get a clean shot at it.

Do fairies activate before or after Misha's grace? I've fallen twice in battle already. No fairy revival but both times Misha's Grace restored my health plus 5 hearts. Also the shop resell price for fairies is insulting considering their rarity. Gathering luminous stones and precious ore and selling them to merchants or shop owners is about the fastest way to gold farm that I have discovered.

If you have Mipha's Grace activated, that takes priority over any fairies in your inventory.

Edited by empsolo
  • Like 1

Was trying to catch fireflies and fairies near a Fairy fountain. A buck jumped out of nowhere and next thing I know, I was riding it. So I tried to board it at a stable for laughs. Stables don't board bucks in case you didn't know. Also bucks are way slower than horses anyway, zero stamina bars so you can't gallop.

I dunno, thought this was kinda funny so I thought I'd share it... :P

attachicon.gif2017032223515700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Buck riding is required for a shrine quest.

• Like 2

Yes, several times. There was one time I wiped out an enemy hideout, then decided to use their open fire and rest for the night. I woke up surrounded by enemies. Fun times.

Last blood moon I got, the timing was impeccable. I travelled into a certain location in Hyrule field to access a hidden memory. It was nightfall, and there was a Guardian lurking about but it didn't see me, so I decided to quick save and a ambush it's ass. I've been using the master sword on Guardians since it deals 60 damage against Guardians and Ganons as opposed to the usual 30, and you can't really break it, only deplete it's energy for a time. I simply ducked behind the trees when it sighted me with it's laser beam, and hacked at it and it's legs whenever it approached.

So I destroyed it and cleaned up the loot, no sooner I finished cleaning up the loot than the blood moon respawned it, so I'm like "cool, time to fight it again for double the loot..."

I'm currently eying the moster tech guardian suit (basically the "Iron man" armour for Zelda, as one reviewer put it) from the akklan tech lan, not cheap at $6000 for the entire set, and I'm still a bit short on ancient cores, of which I'll need 9 pieces total. Guardians don't really seem to drop these and I've only found them in Shrine chests so far...

I am pretty sure guardians do drop ancient cores--I am certain I got one last night. However, it's not that often. They tend to drop lots of gears and screws.

By the way, use Stasis+ on the guardians. It'll give you a head start on chopping their legs off.

A friend told me last night that you can reflect their lasers back at them and it will kill them in one or two hits. It requires a perfect shield parry/counter (hold out your shield, then press "A" at the right time). I did it a couple of times last night and it actually works. It's not going to be my intended way of taking them out, but it's neat to find other ways to combat them I did not know about.

I am pretty sure guardians do drop ancient cores--I am certain I got one last night. However, it's not that often. They tend to drop lots of gears and screws.

By the way, use Stasis+ on the guardians. It'll give you a head start on chopping their legs off.

A friend told me last night that you can reflect their lasers back at them and it will kill them in one or two hits. It requires a perfect shield parry/counter (hold out your shield, then press "A" at the right time). I did it a couple of times last night and it actually works. It's not going to be my intended way of taking them out, but it's neat to find other ways to combat them I did not know about.

Yeah, I was grinding for ore (I stop to break ores whenever I see it in the field) and bought the "Ironman" ancient tech suit. I started with the main armour, and I'll probably go for the legs next. Presumably I had enough parts to upgrade it to level 3 and got ahead of myself at the fairy fountain. Whoops, only meant to go up to 2, now not enough ancient cores left to buy the legs. I now have over a thousand rupees saved up and a ton of ore, so purchase should not be an issue, just need six more gears and one core. :dunce: Time to go to Hyrule field and start slaying Guardians it seems...

Anyway with the level 3 Amber earrings (+18), the level 3 guardian cuirass (+18), and the level 3 Hylian trousers (+12), I'm at 48 defense. I've got 14 hearts so far and 2.4 Stamina wheels. My stamina gauge looks like the number 100.

I was literally roaming the outer edges of the map last night and beat ten more shrines, bringing my total to well over 60, including multiple "blessing" shrines and one "Major test of strength" mission. I need to cash in on 8 spirit orbs now, too busy to stop by a statue and cash in. It looks like one more heart and one more stamina for me, LOL. I'm discovering the extra health isn't really needed, not that enemies that killed me in one hit early in the game only take a heart or so of damage, and the Master Sword is reducing the incidence of weapon breakage on the field. The other day, I found an island in the southeast corner of the map that stole all my possessions, no food, no clothing, no weapons, no divine beast powers, just half naked Link versus an onslaught of monsters. Last I checked, Link cannot fight with his fists... :dunce: I got the hells out of there; come back at a later date.

I also found a dark jungle where you have to light the pathway to the Shrine in total darkness, then beat a giant ogre monster. I think he looks scarier than he really is, so I just hack at his ankles until I felled him. He took a lot of hits but was slow as balls and most of his attacks didn't cost much. I'm beginning to think with all this grinding I am doing, the final boss Calamity Ganon will be a pushover. But I've never experienced a game like this that plays on my ADD to this level or where "grinding" was just as much fun as following the main quest.

Two questions: first what the heck does the "horse armour" that Fang and Bone sells actually do? I was reluctant to buy it at first until I realized I had a ton of monster parts, more than I needed to upgrade equipment, and went ahead and cashed some in and purchased it. So now that I have it, I can't find any way to equip or use it; it's listed under "special items" along with Korok seeds, spirit orbs, divine powers, and my slate. Selecting the item does nothing. I may also get the squeaky hammer just for the novelty factor and for completionist sake, and simply stow it in my house.

Second question: How do I "turn off" the Goron protection so I can parry with my shield? Every time I hit LZ, he protects me, making my shield redundant, and I would rather not drain the three hits on ordinary field enemies, rather save them until I need to face a boss or some enemy that deals devastating blows, like Lynels or Guardians.

Lastly, for better or worse, I downloaded the DLC pack. If anyone is wondering about the Switch Tshirt or where to find it, I took a selfie:

post-33189-0-13915200-1490651195_thumb.jpg

Honestly a bit lame. +1 defense (much like the well-worn shirt and trousers) or you can sell it in a shop for 15 rupees, but I'm keeping mine.. Anyway Link looks like he just walked out of an e3 convo. The rest of the chest loot AFAIK is random stuff you can find all over Hyrule (a ruby and some bomb arrows I believe).

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to blow Shieka Slate photos full screen, but it's a minor quibble really.