IGNORED

Will Zelda Breath of the Wild be the last Wii U game released?

Rev

Same game, but like I said, completely different publisher.

Axiom Verge first appeared two years ago on the PS4 and various computers, published digitally by developer Thomas Happ Games (A single individual). Retail PC rights later were picked up by IndieBox and a limited edition retail version appeared in the Fall of 2015. Subsequently, Thomas Happ Games ported and digitally released Axiom Verge last year on the Vita, XB1, and Wii U.

Fast forward to late March 2017 and publisher Badland Games announced that they had picked up the retail rights for Axiom Verge on the Wii U, PS4, and Vita and expected to release it in the next four months. We're three months into that period right now, so if their timetable still holds, we should be getting further details shortly although I suspect we're looking at a release later this summer now.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

As a Switch owner now, I'm actually kind of sad the game's coming to the Wii U in physical form. Do I buy it on the Switch, or Wii U due to the potential rarity of it in the future? Ahhhhh... But I want everything on the Switch now, that's the rub. First World Problems.

• Like 1

Just Dance 2018 has been announced for the Wii U (And the Wii). It will arrive on October 24th and perhaps will simultaneously conclude new releases across two generations of Nintendo console hardware.

It's also on all the other usual suspects across the last two generations, as well as the Nintendo Switch. About the only system it's absent on is the 3DS and Vita, for obvious reasons.

So with the arrival today of Cars 3, that leaves the Wii U with at least two more retail releases ahead.

Edited by Atariboy

So, Wii U is now down to two releases:

Just Dance 2018

Axiom Verge

And on Wii:

Just Dance 2018

------

Side note. Just Dance 2018 on 3 generations of Nintendo home consoles? Is that a first?

Has that happened with any other consoles like PlayStation or Sega or Xbox? Maybe Madden?

• Like 1

I feel reasonably confident that it has never happened on a Nintendo console. And for it to have happened on a Microsoft console, we'd of had to have an original Xbox release in 2013, which of course didn't happen.

The PS1 seemed to be a possibility thanks to its long life, but faded just a bit too soon with sports titles drying up by 2005. So I initially didn't think it had ever happened with a simultaneous release across three generations, but then I found this. :)

qSZcpRt.jpg

There may be others on these platforms, but I didn't dig further after finding this one. Of course this one is basically in name only, where as I imagine there's a lot more commonality with Just Dance across console generations.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

FIFA 14 had its 3-generation PlayStation release spread between September (PS2 and PS3) and November (PS4's launch), so it was closer to simultaneous than Just Dance 2017 was for Wii/Wii U/Switch, but still not quite there. This is based on Amazon.de/fr/co.uk release dates; the 3-generation release didn't happen in the US and Canada, where the PS2 edition was absent. It did release in at least some Latin American territories, but I would assume they had the same September-November spread, too.

Thus, it seems like Just Dance 2018 really might be the first simultaneous 3-generation release in history. Wouldn't it be cool if it were cross-buy? :P

onmode-ky

• 1 month later...

FIFA 14 had its 3-generation PlayStation release spread between September (PS2 and PS3) and November (PS4's launch), so it was closer to simultaneous than Just Dance 2017 was for Wii/Wii U/Switch, but still not quite there. This is based on Amazon.de/fr/co.uk release dates; the 3-generation release didn't happen in the US and Canada, where the PS2 edition was absent. It did release in at least some Latin American territories, but I would assume they had the same September-November spread, too.Thus, it seems like Just Dance 2018 really might be the first simultaneous 3-generation release in history. Wouldn't it be cool if it were cross-buy? :Ponmode-ky

FIFA 14 had its 3-generation PlayStation release spread between September (PS2 and PS3) and November (PS4's launch), so it was closer to simultaneous than Just Dance 2017 was for Wii/Wii U/Switch, but still not quite there. This is based on Amazon.de/fr/co.uk release dates; the 3-generation release didn't happen in the US and Canada, where the PS2 edition was absent. It did release in at least some Latin American territories, but I would assume they had the same September-November spread, too.Thus, it seems like Just Dance 2018 really might be the first simultaneous 3-generation release in history. Wouldn't it be cool if it were cross-buy? :Ponmode-ky

Doesn't Klax 2600/ST/Lynx (and 7800 proto!) count, way back in 1990? OK, the ST port was by Domark, but still...

There's also 2600/7800/XEGS Crossbow and Mario Bros. to consider.

Tom Happ was asked why the Wii U version can't be preordered while the others now can be. He responded that the Wii U version "is coming through a different pathway since US retailers don't want to stock it". He hopes plans will be announced soon.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

You can preorder the multiverse version for the Wii-U from other counties, but I'm not sure they are region compatible with the US Wii-U system.

Really want to play this game and would much rather have it in physical form for the Wii-U.

I feel reasonably confident that it has never happened on a Nintendo console. And for it to have happened on a Microsoft console, we'd of had to have an original Xbox release in 2013, which of course didn't happen.

The PS1 seemed to be a possibility thanks to its long life, but faded just a bit too soon with sports titles drying up by 2005. So I initially didn't think it had ever happened with a simultaneous release across three generations, but then I found this. :)

qSZcpRt.jpg

There may be others on these platforms, but I didn't dig further after finding this one. Of course this one is basically in name only, where as I imagine there's a lot more commonality with Just Dance across console generations.

Aside from Just Dance, there's Twilight Princess Gamecube -> Wii -> Wii-U, with some years between releases. Then again Super Mario All Stars got released on SNES (cart) and Wii (retail disc) completely skipping 3 generations so go figure. :P

• Like 1

Aside from Just Dance, there's Twilight Princess Gamecube -> Wii -> Wii-U, with some years between releases. Then again Super Mario All Stars got released on SNES (cart) and Wii (retail disc) completely skipping 3 generations so go figure. :P

We're talking simultaneous or close to simultaneous releases across multiple console generations.

Has anyone figured out how or where to pre-order Axiom Verge on the Wii U? Would like to secure this if/while it exists...

Been looking myself. I only found one place that had links for preorders, and for the US the only preorder options were for other formats not Wii U. However, Wii U was available for pre-order for other countries and regions...

http://badlandindie.com/axiom-verge-multiverse-edition/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...