IGNORED

Project Prometheus (a new ColecoVision compatible console)

opcode

No matter what, it is simply amazing that almost 35 years after Coleco released the ColecoVision there are three ColecoVision compatible systems in development and it sounds very favorable that all three will be released!!! Again, this is simply amazing and is proof positive just how healthy the ColecoVision/ADAM retro community truly is thanks to EVERYONE involved.

Family squabbles will happen and this community has seen some dozzies (think I spelled that correctly) over the years, so let's remember that we are at our strongest when we are all working with and supporting each other... even when we may not agree with one another.

^THIS!^

• Like 1

No matter what, it is simply amazing that almost 35 years after Coleco released the ColecoVision there are three ColecoVision compatible systems in development and it sounds very favorable that all three will be released!!! :P

Three? Wow! I only know about the Collectorvision and Opcode consoles. Tell me more about the 3rd. I need to check it out.

No matter what, it is simply amazing that almost 35 years after Coleco released the ColecoVision there are three ColecoVision compatible systems in development and it sounds very favorable that all three will be released!!! Again, this is simply amazing and is proof positive just how healthy the ColecoVision/ADAM retro community truly is thanks to EVERYONE involved.

Family squabbles will happen and this community has seen some dozzies (think I spelled that correctly) over the years, so let's remember that we are at our strongest when we are all working with and supporting each other... even when we may not agree with one another.

I do have one request for HDTV1080P.... please stop talking about firmware update!!!! Nah, just kidding! :P

Yeah, it would be a great place indeed if I could do what i did with previous hardware, release the full specs so all developers could try their hands on the system. Instead I must treat everything as trade secrets, discuss development at a minimum instead of blogging everything like I did in the past and kill the joy of sharing the creative process with the community, one of the funnest parts of the hobby. All of that to guarantee that in a couple of years some smart ass won’t show up and say his is entitled to “create” something based on public domain info, without any regards to the huge sums of money I sank during development. For years I have been blurring screenshots, refraining from posting mockups as I did one day and so on, so I can protect my investment of time and money. If someone copies anything, I shouldn’t complain otherwise I am greed and promptly accused of not doing things for the love of the hobby.

All of that sucks, that takes away half of the fun of the whole thing. Now I am opcode, the company, that must develop everything in secrecy.

So why are you lecturing me here about how “healthy” the community is and how it is ok to disagree? Seriously, I respect other developers, I worked with them in many many occasions, check my name in tons of sgm games. I refrain to give my opinion on other’s work as I don’t think it is appropriated. In fact I barely get out of this sub-forum nowadays. So why the nice post here? Until a couple of days ago I was the greed guy entitled to nothing. And now I am been lectured on how we are a big happy family? Right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought your sgm module was/is successfull. You're talking like it lost money. Of course that's none of my business.

I am taking risks, like I did with the SGM. It is easy to overlook how much it costs to get something out of the door. And just because something breaks even it still doesn’t mean it is public domain.

Anyways, with so many cv consoles to choose from, I am pretty sure everybody will be able to find one that suits their taste. Stick to what you like and forget about the rest. Best way to avoid more drama.

• Like 1

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273464-hbvision-new-colecovision/

In fact there is 4 . But the 4th one has not been yet announced publicly.

If 4 different ColecoVision compatible consoles are released. It well create a Coleco bubble around 2020+ that well burst. Perhaps only one or two consoles well survive. Now where is my ADAM computer clone called ADAM II or EVE to make me happy?

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 2

If 4 different ColecoVision compatible consoles are released. It well create a Coleco bubble around 2020+ that well burst. Perhaps only one or two consoles well survive. Now were is my ADAM computer clone called ADAM II or EVE to make me happy?

Too obscure, I think. I'm surprised there are still decent emulators for it (e.g., try to find even a decent emulator for Atari Jag or Lynx).

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be a great place indeed if I could do what i did with previous hardware, release the full specs so all developers could try their hands on the system. Instead I must treat everything as trade secrets, discuss development at a minimum instead of blogging everything like I did in the past and kill the joy of sharing the creative process with the community, one of the funnest parts of the hobby. All of that to guarantee that in a couple of years some smart ass won’t show up and say his is entitled to “create” something based on public domain info, without any regards to the huge sums of money I sank during development. For years I have been blurring screenshots, refraining from posting mockups as I did one day and so on, so I can protect my investment of time and money. If someone copies anything, I shouldn’t complain otherwise I am greed and promptly accused of not doing things for the love of the hobby.

All of that sucks, that takes away half of the fun of the whole thing. Now I am opcode, the company, that must develop everything in secrecy.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I understand where you're coming from and I'm sure I'm not the only one that really appreciates all the hard work you've put into making Colecovision gaming even greater than it would've been without you. I get your need for secrecy over Project Prometheus but each drip drip of info just increases my urge to give you my money. I think that's what most of us just want to do. Not steal your ideas. At this point, the Opcode console is my personal frontrunner and I wish you every success and look forward to more info in the future.

• Like 1

Opcode.... first off, I should have copied my post and pasted it into the CollectorVision sub-forum as well. Will do so when I get home.

I am not lecturing you and would never proport to do so.

The "nice" post... sometimes we all have to step back for a moment and really appreciate what you and numerous others have accomplished over the years. This doesn't mean that I am not going to express my feelings on matters out of fear of burning bridges. Trust me, if I post something, I give it serious thought before I click on the Reply button.

I haven't read a post where anyone asked you to refrain from giving your opinion and in fact, 100% of the people that visit this forum want to hear your opinion even if a small percentage of them may not like it.

Never said you where the "greedy guy". I just stated a couple of very obvious facts in the CollectorVision thread. You don't have to like them and I knew you probably wouldn't, but that's life.

You have every right to protect your intellectual property, investment of time and money, etc., etc., etc. without being demonized. You have every right to benefit from all your hard work and investment via licensing fees.. no one stated that you should.

• Like 1

Opcode.... first off, I should have copied my post and pasted it into the CollectorVision sub-forum as well. Will do so when I get home.

I am not lecturing you and would never proport to do so.

The "nice" post... sometimes we all have to step back for a moment and really appreciate what you and numerous others have accomplished over the years. This doesn't mean that I am not going to express my feelings on matters out of fear of burning bridges. Trust me, if I post something, I give it serious thought before I click on the Reply button.

I haven't read a post where anyone asked you to refrain from giving your opinion and in fact, 100% of the people that visit this forum want to hear your opinion even if a small percentage of them may not like it.

Never said you where the "greedy guy". I just stated a couple of very obvious facts in the CollectorVision thread. You don't have to like them and I knew you probably wouldn't, but that's life.

You have every right to protect your intellectual property, investment of time and money, etc., etc., etc. without being demonized. You have every right to benefit from all your hard work and investment via licensing fees.. no one stated that you should.

Indeed, just a couple of days ago you didn't sound as appreciative of any contributions I may have made. Thankfully Pixelboy, who was also around here in 2012, seemed more appreciative (oh, the irony) and took his time to point out some facts as well (and I must say I am very grateful to him for thatl) . So yeah, it is certainly your right to express your feelings, but then we can also cut the crap.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I understand where you're coming from and I'm sure I'm not the only one that really appreciates all the hard work you've put into making Colecovision gaming even greater than it would've been without you. I get your need for secrecy over Project Prometheus but each drip drip of info just increases my urge to give you my money. I think that's what most of us just want to do. Not steal your ideas. At this point, the Opcode console is my personal frontrunner and I wish you every success and look forward to more info in the future.

Thank you, appreciate the support. :)

But before we get to Prometheus, I must fulfill some old promises. A lot of people got the SGM for Donkey Kong, and I must get that one out of the door first. So let me get back to work then :)

• Like 3

Thank you, appreciate the support. :)

But before we get to Prometheus, I must fulfill some old promises. A lot of people got the SGM for Donkey Kong, and I must get that one out of the door first. So let me get back to work then :)

Thanks for that, been waitin' for DK since day one of the SGM, glad you did't forget about us. :)
  • Like 1

If 4 different ColecoVision compatible consoles are released. It well create a Coleco bubble around 2020+ that well burst. Perhaps only one or two consoles well survive. Now where is my ADAM computer clone called ADAM II or EVE to make me happy?

We really need Collectorvision, Ebivision, Opcode, and whomever the other one was to pool their resources and team up. The coleco market is not big enough to risk fragmenting an already small userbase like this. Too much competition is worse than none in this case.

Suppose each console has it's own mutually exclusive additional featuresets in addition to stock hardware, resulting that develpers have to either develop for one enhanced hardware config and exclude the others, or develop for the base system and axe any enhanced features.

And quite funnily, someone mentioned there was a third or fourth console they could not recall the name of, and my first thought was "Please not the Chameleon?" We all know of how that story ended... :lol: :lolblue:

• 1 year later...

Indeed, we removed the ColecoVision from Prometheus. But we have the SGM2 as a way to put the extra features back, and by the time the SGM2 releases early next year, we should also have something for those looking for a way to play ColecoVision and SGM1 games without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

This really is a great approach!  I really like your sprite based games, with Amico filling in the 2.5D games and the Omni filling in that retro sprite need, we retro gamers have so much to look forward too!

Opcode I cannot wait to see more screenshots of some of the Omni's games!

Looking forward to 2020!