IGNORED

Project Prometheus (a new ColecoVision compatible console)

opcode

Wouldn't that make it more marketable? I'm guessing if it plays CV it would recognize the Atari stuff.

It isn't that simple. We are using tech available in the 80s, but I don't want to use "prehistoric" tech. the VCS module uses not only analog video, but in fact composite video. That made sense back when TVs were composite at best, most were just RF. Prometheus can't go that route. Also Prometheus seriously conflicts with ADAM hardware (or the other way around), so the expansion port will be different (and the SGM has no purpose for Prometheus).

We are now evaluating a custom case option. We should have news soon.

• Like 3

I would like to see this and would get if at the right price point. Ive always wanted a CV but never had one nor seen one to purchase.

Will you be able to play 2600 with appropriate module?

If Promethius has HD compatible outputs and the "expansion modules" simply pass composite video and audio to the RF box, then you might end up with problems.

• Like 1

It isn't that simple. We are using tech available in the 80s, but I don't want to use "prehistoric" tech. the VCS module uses not only analog video, but in fact composite video. That made sense back when TVs were composite at best, most were just RF. Prometheus can't go that route. Also Prometheus seriously conflicts with ADAM hardware (or the other way around), so the expansion port will be different (and the SGM has no purpose for Prometheus).

This is why I love atariage. I dont know jack about the hardware but there are so many here who do. I am keeping an eye on this as a Colecovision is the one system I don't have of all the retro ones. I'm also not a fan of beating old electronics :(

• Like 1

My knowledge of Prometheus is limited to what is posted here, so feel free to correct me if what I am about to say isn't feasible: would it be possible for a third-party to develop an expansion module to play Atari 2600 games on the Prometheus? From what I have read, the system will have an expansion port of some kind. With that being said, could the aforementioned expansion module output the composite signal in HD? The Prometheus will use HDMI, right? I'm just wondering if an expansion module/software emulation combo could work around the new tech being used in Prometheus.

Edited for additional comments.

Edited by ColecoGamer

Any confirmation if the Prometheus will also have composite A/V out? Or will it be HDMI only?

Prometheus is analog native, so the existing prototype includes composite, S-Video, RGB and VGA. Final version will also have HDMI but probably will lose some of the analog outputs, like VGA.

• Like 1

Will ADAM carts run on Prometheus?

I dont get why playing atari 2600 games is an issue. Who cares! Being able to play standard coleco games is good enough.

Yes, it's not like there's a million options for playing 2600 games already. And this, for HD fanboys:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266544-retron-77/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

Need to keep in mind cost and scope here. Prometheus isn't supposed to be a jack of all trades. Our goals is for something that could have been done in late 80s, using tech from that time. So except for HDMI, which is a necessity now, We would like to stay focused.

That said, a "computer module" is something we are looking at, a way for people to program and easily create games. SD card would be part of that. But no promises at this point

• Like 3

Need to keep in mind cost and scope here. Prometheus isn't supposed to be a jack of all trades. Our goals is for something that could have been done in late 80s, using tech from that time. So except for HDMI, which is a necessity now, We would like to stay focused.

That said, a "computer module" is something we are looking at, a way for people to program and easily create games. SD card would be part of that. But no promises at this point

I understand. Thank you for your reply.

So no Toaster Oven Expansion Module? Playing video games while keeping an eye on dinner is a no-brainer! :P

• Like 2

Didn't some third party controllers (like steering wheels and stuff) use the expansion bay? If Prometheus removed the expansion bay, then certain controllers would not work.

Actually all controllers used regular controller ports.

• Like 3

Opcode:

"We would like to stay focused.
That said, a "computer module" is something we are looking at, a way for people to program and easily create games. SD card would be part of that. But no promises at this point"

YES YES YES! This is awesome to hear I love the idea of platform to create and share games and ideas with the community! I cannot wait for more information about your ideas on this!

Hopefully the roller controller will work on it. I know it draws power between the CV and the wall wart. Maybe there is better way to make that work? I wonder why no one has come out with an independent power supply for it.

Couldn't someone just mod it and add a standard barrel connector?