IGNORED

Developers/testing required for mini-itx clone system - ÉclaireXL

foft

Laying the connectors flat like that and mounting them on their own separate board, makes sure the system can take a fair amount of abuse. ;) Much simpler (and less costly! ) to replace an interface board than the whole MB for most end users, who might not be so skill-ful with the iron.

As much as I like using original chips, within a few years, as original chip stocks start to dwindle (and in most cases those will be used to repair original systems, if they can), this is where many future users will be at , that want to use physical hardware. I haven't used foft's core implementation, so I can't speak to compatibility, but I've heard of good results. :)

I'm just happy for this flurry of forward movement with these alternatives and will stick my toe into the pond. I haven't personally had working hardware for awhile - well, I do, but my choice working system has a bad GTIA chip that I will eventually try to farm it out for repair, or it might find a shelf up with my venerable 800 (has cased OS and RAM boards and buzzes with a good deal of picture interference - afraid it's going to blow, or - something. Yeah, I know, remove the cases, idiot. ;) ) , as I use the alternatives for a "daily user".

• Like 3

Laying the connectors flat like that and mounting them on their own separate board, makes sure the system can take a fair amount of abuse. ;) Much simpler (and less costly! ) to replace an interface board than the whole MB for most end users, who might not be so skill-ful with the iron.

I totally like the idea now that I properly understand it. It just threw me at first until I realized that it stuck out in the back so that the connectors were accessible. Great stuff :thumbsup: :)

- Michael

• Like 2

I totally like the idea now that I properly understand it. It just threw me at first until I realized that it stuck out in the back so that the connectors were accessible. Great stuff icon_thumbsup.gif icon_smile.gif

- Michael

I know we were teasing you about creating new form-factors for existing motherboards to serve as replacements, but, one thing that's nice about the 1088XEL, is that the current foot-print is small enough, now, that with a few slight changes, say replacing some of the dedicated ports with headers, instead, one can create something that CAN fit within all existing cases, using legacy hard-ware. Just need a little creative tinkering - and some custom/creative cabling +plus maybe some connector strip boards, if needed. Thank you for being gracious enough to release it as open project that others may build on. icon_smile.gif You, or likely some other enterprising folk in the community will run with that after the initial release and we will see a pluraltude of useful, zany funk. icon_wink.gif

One thing I noticed while looking closely at the 1200XL, as it came up in recent discussions, is how close the 1088 is actually to working in that design, already - the close approximation of the cart connector and the SIO / Power connectors, with a little kludging and swapping of connector positions, probably achievable through small, nearby break-out boards, could be made to work. (Simplest way would be to cut some perf-board to the shape of the system MB you want to replace, position the 1088XEL to best fit for the situation and mount the connectors where need be. Heck, even I might be able to do that.)

Anyways, fun stuff.

• Like 1

I would have loved to jump in on this opportunity, and give my newly assembled reflow oven some work! Just juggling too much at the moment unfortunately. I'm just glad we have a lot of interest with this project and the 1088XEL. Both projects deserve our support. Keep the updates coming;--)

Mike

• Like 1

crap! I just missed out. will another run be done in the future? I mean before final production run. foft, looking forward to that video. at 240$ is that assembled?

Really I don't know if any final production will be done. Maybe individual efforts from me and why not, from anyone else which can do it.

In 240$ who is the actual cost of parts/PCB and factory assembly work for main board only at this moment, yes is assembled and tested.

Of course the use of BGA ic, 0602 smd size components, and some 0.2mm fine pitch ic's, is another reason for which this board is required to be assembled.

Edited by santosp

Fantastic project Panos :)

Thank you Nigel. :thumbsup: Excellence also they go to Mark and the rest of development team. :)

Are you planning to adopt other cores than Atari, like MiST?

Although this board designed exclusively for the Atari 8-bit computers, looking at it now from another angle, YES with a so powerful hardware this is a great idea! ;)

Edited by santosp
  • Like 2

Although this board designed exclusively for the Atari 8-bit computers, looking at it now from another angle, YES with a so powerful hardware this is a great idea! ;)

With this daughter board design, every platform can have its own connectors, opening the possibility to use original peripherals.

• Like 2

You really should log into the site with the details, or it might be hard to do!

Yeah - I saw his video yesterday, and he was on the IRC channel helping me get it set up. I need to flash the new core, but I may have to buy a USB blaster. I have a Xilinx Platform Cable USB, but the software doesn't seem to be able to do anything with a jic file.

• Like 1

Really liking what I am seeing so far. I've tried some covox stuff (NeoTracker). FlickerTerm displays properly. RIP images work, so I see we have the proper GTIA10 pixel shift. BugBiter's image viewer works great - boy do the images look good. Atari Control Picture also displays perfectly fine.

• Like 4

I noticed that your MyIDE ][ worked fine on version 2 board, but on my version 1 EclaireXL that the Fat32 portion of the test show nothing but scrambled text for the file names and could not load anything from the Fatloader.

the other functions of the MyIDE ][ menu did okay just not the Fat32 loader.

having seen Nir's YT video, this is very impressive stuff

will this be compatible with IDE Plus 2.0?

and cheeky question - is this likely to be produced in quantity and general sale?

if so, would love one