IGNORED

Any progress on an IDE for IntyBASIC?

Did the usual search on old topics but figured I'd ask. I'd love to start a new IntyBASIC project but I need something more than a generic text editor.

Has anyone come up with an IDE. Even a version I could beta test?

Pending that has anyone created any add-ons for universal IDEs. Say, what the reboot BASIC people did with Notepad++?

As far as I'm aware there is no IDE for IntyBASIC. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Is there anything in particular that you are having a problem with? Have you downloaded the latest SDK?

The problem is me. I grew up with an IDE from the very start. Syntax highlighting and a button to compile at minimum. I don't mind fiddling with importing custom language files like Notepad++

I don't think it's discussed much but it's a big factor for people who grew up with QuickBASIC, Visual Basic, Foxpro, Borland C++ etc..

In the SDK thread, there actually was discussion about including or at least recommending an editor. DZ-Jay prepared a list of BASIC keywords which could be the basis for syntax highlighting.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/

If nobody so far has integrated Notepad++, perhaps you want a go and contribute your efforts to the project? Personally, I have everything I need with Emacs (which causes some people to drag out the Vim - Emacs debate, for no apparent reason other than trolling) and already pasted an early version of intybasic-mode.el which is most of the IDE I need. I agree though that e.g. tools for converting graphics (of which some are included with the compiler) should be accessible from a full blown IDE.

The problem is me. I grew up with an IDE from the very start. Syntax highlighting and a button to compile at minimum. I don't mind fiddling with importing custom language files like Notepad++

I don't think it's discussed much but it's a big factor for people who grew up with QuickBASIC, Visual Basic, Foxpro, Borland C++ etc..

On Windows, I use EditPlus. Not really an IDE, but a good programmer's text editor in general. I have created a syntax file for IntyBASIC to use in EditPlus, plus a set of macros for it to integrate with the SDK.

EditPlus is not free, but for $35 USD and unlimited updates forever (seriously, I paid sometime in the mid 1990s and I still get updates), it's a bargain. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

On Windows, I use EditPlus. Not really an IDE, but a good programmer's text editor in general. I have created a syntax file for IntyBASIC to use in EditPlus, plus a set of macros for it to integrate with the SDK.

EditPlus is not free, but for $35 USD and unlimited updates forever (seriously, I paid sometime in the mid 1990s and I still get updates), it's a bargain. :)

-dZ.

Could your EditPlus IntyBASIC syntax files be downloaded somewhere? Maybe I could try and convert them to Notepad++ which can be downloaded for free.

Here is an older IntyBASIC UDL file for NotePad ++ that I had at work (I don't have my dev laptop near me)

It assumes the Blackboard Style for a black background

I just took the keyword list DZJay posted:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/?view=findpost&p=3280407

To use it, stick the IntyBasicUDL.xml somewhere, then in Notepad ++

Language-->Define Your Language-->Import, then find the IntyBasicUDL.xml file, then Save As, calling it IntyBASIC

IntyBasicUDL.zip

[Click to enlarge]

post-38229-0-38073500-1489099805_thumb.png

Also add the Plugin call NPP_EXEC, you can configure it to use the F6 function key to:

Save the current file, launch command lines for IntyBASIC and the assembler and run the rom via jzintv.

Not easy to setup, but the help file for the plugin is good.

• Like 5

Here is an older IntyBASIC UDL file for NotePad ++ that I had at work (I don't have my dev laptop near me)

It assumes the Blackboard Style for a black background

I just took the keyword list DZJay posted:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/?view=findpost&p=3280407

To use it, stick the IntyBasicUDL.xml somewhere, then in Notepad ++

Language-->Define Your Language-->Import, then find the IntyBasicUDL.xml file, then Save As, calling it IntyBASIC

attachicon.gifIntyBasicUDL.zip

[Click to enlarge]

attachicon.gifNPPCapture.PNG

Also add the Plugin call NPP_EXEC, you can configure it to use the F6 function key to:

Save the current file, launch command lines for IntyBASIC and the assembler and run the rom via jzintv.

Not easy to setup, but the help file for the plugin is good.

Does NotePad++ support external tool integration/plug-ins/command-shell execution? If so, if we construct a configuration file with integrated "one-key build" calls to the IntyBASIC SDK tools, we can add this to our default installation of the SDK with instructions on how to set it up.

-dZ.

Does NotePad++ support external tool integration/plug-ins/command-shell execution? If so, if we construct a configuration file with integrated "one-key build" calls to the IntyBASIC SDK tools, we can add this to our default installation of the SDK with instructions on how to set it up.

-dZ.

Yes, the user installed plug-in referred to above called npp_exec lets you press F6 to run commands so it can be configured to compile, assemble, and run jzintv. It isn't simple to configure and couldn't find a way to bundle it for an install, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks for the info. I was able to set up the IntyBASIC language easily using your file. I modified the styles a bit. I also got the NPP_exec to play with. I found it pretty easy to run very basic commands. (intybuild.bat program.bas) etc.

I am more old school I guess. I have never used an IDE. So what is missing?

I am guessing we want a single script that will build and run the project and if the build has errors the editor will go to the line number that is identified as having problems. And/Or maybe open the listing alongside the source to more easily fix the code.

I am also guessing that if notepad++ has the ability to do these things there are examples of it for some of the other languages. I'm not sure how much that would really help me but it sounds pretty cool.

I doubt I can help move this along either, but I will look around and see if I can find anything.

I am more old school I guess. I have never used an IDE. So what is missing?

Uh... integrated debugging in the GUI. That includes not only source-level process stepping and debugging (with syntax highlighting as well) and low-level CPU op-code disassembly, but variable watches, break points, register views, etc.; all from the graphical IDE rather than the command line.

Have you ever seen MS Visual Stupid, Borland's Turbo Whatever, Delphi, Eclipse, X Code, or any other IDE? It is a big difference than just using a command-line debugger.

-dZ.

Uh... integrated debugging in the GUI. That includes not only source-level process stepping and debugging (with syntax highlighting as well) and low-level CPU op-code disassembly, but variable watches, break points, register views, etc.; all from the graphical IDE rather than the command line.

Have you ever seen MS Visual Stupid, Borland's Turbo Whatever, Delphi, Eclipse, X Code, or any other IDE? It is a big difference than just using a command-line debugger.

-dZ.

Yeah, I have seen them but never really used any of the IDE's. That seems a bit beyond notepad++.

I think there is/was an IDE for Batari BASIC so maybe somebody can look into making some mods to that.

I never mak mistakes so debgging within the tool isn't a big deal for me. :D

Yeah, I have seen them but never really used any of the IDE's. That seems a bit beyond notepad++.

I think there is/was an IDE for Batari BASIC so maybe somebody can look into making some mods to that.

I never mak mistakes so debgging within the tool isn't a big deal for me. :D

Of course it's a bit more than what Notepad++ provides. However, that's what people want when they request an "IDE."

I use the jzIntv debugger to great success, but honestly, I much rather have a point-and-click integrated debugger with easier access to high-level functions and at-a-glance view of variables, registers, memory, source code, etc.

That said, building an IDE is beyond my abilities -- or at least beyond the effort and time I am willing to spend on such a tool.

-dZ.

Recently, the latest version of Notepad++ crashed while saving, I got a blank file instead. I'm unsure if my recent OS install is directly related.

I recommend also checking Visual Studio Code, it's free, multi-platform, built-in VB/.bas support is good enough for IntyBasic. Another fantastic editor is Atom, but lacks built-in .bas support. Both editors can be extended, and have tons of plug-ins. They do feel sluggish (js/browser-based) compared to Notepad++, and VS Code has telemetry enabled by default (Atom asks at 1st launch).

Recently, the latest version of Notepad++ crashed while saving, I got a blank file instead. I'm unsure if my recent OS install is directly related.

I recommend also checking Visual Studio Code, it's free, multi-platform, built-in VB/.bas support is good enough for IntyBasic. Another fantastic editor is Atom, but lacks built-in .bas support. Both editors can be extended, and have tons of plug-ins. They do feel sluggish (js/browser-based) compared to Notepad++, and VS Code has telemetry enabled by default (Atom asks at 1st launch).

I tried using Visual Studio Code, but it seems to me that it's trying to hard to cater to the hipster coder geek, complete with low-contrast colour scheme by default and do-it-yourself-configs-on-a-text-file set up. Blah. I have better things to do than to "code" my window preferences and font settings by hand on a JSON file. :P

-dZ.

I tried using Visual Studio Code, but it seems to me that it's trying to hard to cater to the hipster coder geek, complete with low-contrast colour scheme by default and do-it-yourself-configs-on-a-text-file set up. Blah. I have better things to do than to "code" my window preferences and font settings by hand on a JSON file. :P

-dZ.

I welcome dark themes as a default of most new IDEs, just like 1980's DOS editors! :grin: They just look like Turbo C/Pascal, WordStar and WordPerfect... in an MDA/Hercules monochrome monitor. Isn't IntyBasic inspired by 1980's QuickBasic and QBasic? :)

• Like 1

I welcome dark themes as a default of most new IDEs, just like 1980's DOS editors! :grin: They just look like Turbo C/Pascal, WordStar and WordPerfect... in an MDA/Hercules monochrome monitor. Isn't IntyBasic inspired by 1980's QuickBasic and QBasic? :)

The dark themes don't bother me too much; my own set up is like that. However, the lack of a configurations/preferences panel, throwing back to the old UNIX config data files -- now, that's just asinine and pretentious. "Ooooh! Look at me! I don't need no fancy windows, I code my own editor font settings by hand. Ain't I such a cool coder?" :roll:

It's like they misinterpreted the Sublime programmer's laziness of not making a preferences panel as some sort of "hacker l33t cred." Blah.

-dZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that is awesome. I have never seen that before.

Something on my list (now very low on the list) is to make something web-based. A code (text) editor for IntyBASIC. Baked-in versioning. Baked-in compilation, capturing output of the build and displaying it. Baked-in ROM launching in a browser window (using DOSBOX or something equivalent). I am pretty sure it could all be done as an Azure web app (either in the free tier or the $9/month tier). Reason I wanted to do that is to make it easier for me to silng some IntyBASIC no matter where I am, also because when new folks come along and ask "how do I get started" I wanted to be able to offer a minimal-click way to get everything.

But realistically I can't get to this anytime soon. So...

I suppose the wet dream is to have an Intellivision equivalent of something like the CBM prg Studio:

http://www.ajordison.co.uk/screenshots.html

• Like 1

Wow that is awesome. I have never seen that before.

Something on my list (now very low on the list) is to make something web-based. A code (text) editor for IntyBASIC. Baked-in versioning. Baked-in compilation, capturing output of the build and displaying it. Baked-in ROM launching in a browser window (using DOSBOX or something equivalent). I am pretty sure it could all be done as an Azure web app (either in the free tier or the $9/month tier). Reason I wanted to do that is to make it easier for me to silng some IntyBASIC no matter where I am, also because when new folks come along and ask "how do I get started" I wanted to be able to offer a minimal-click way to get everything.

But realistically I can't get to this anytime soon. So...

I think just a pre-configured Notepad++ portable edition would do. Use the files above for syntax highlighting and add some scripts to make a compile button. If we can't distribute the Notepad++ files at least we could package up the additional files so they can be overlay-ed.

I guess an appropriately tweaked Scite or Eclipse would do as well.

• Like 1

The BatariBASIC IDE Visual bB might be a good place to start. I haven't used it and I don't think it has been updated in a while but I think there is some pretty good knowledge around the boards that might help. I'm not sure if it can tweaked for what you want or if it can serve as a starting point and framework.

just a thought. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/?p=3537039

The BatariBASIC IDE Visual bB might be a good place to start. I haven't used it and I don't think it has been updated in a while but I think there is some pretty good knowledge around the boards that might help. I'm not sure if it can tweaked for what you want or if it can serve as a starting point and framework.

just a thought. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/?p=3537039

Without the source or permission I think it'd be a challenge to configure it for IntyBASIC. Also, recent versions of Windows has become unfriendly to it. Weird input delays. Not writing configuration changes to the registry, etc..

Without the source or permission I think it'd be a challenge to configure it for IntyBASIC. Also, recent versions of Windows has become unfriendly to it. Weird input delays. Not writing configuration changes to the registry, etc..

Visual batariBasic works on my 64-bit Windows 10 machine.