IGNORED

Could someone with a Starplex controller do me a favor?

GoldenWheels

AtariStarplexVideoGameController2.jpg

I would like to know the dimensions of this thing--primarily the distance between the 'left' buttons and 'right' buttons, center to center ('up' and 'fire' appear identical), and I am also wondering if that hyperspace/down button was moved up within the top row....would the spacing be consistent between all five buttons (would 'down/hyperspace' to 'right', be the same distance center to center as 'right' to 'left')? Hard for me to tell by a pic. And the case dimensions would be much appreciated as well.

I'm trying to rig up some variations (see below) of this thing and I'd love to know the dimensions of the original without having to buy one--because even if I wanted to buy one these things are not as common as they once were.

ead419f0-09c2-4056-8c5d-5073d279d418.jpg

8a361bf2-e8c4-43e9-8646-3c64557fefa5.jpg

• Like 2

Your controller looks pretty slick! Here are the specs for the Starplex:

Center to center for the upper left two buttons and the upper right two buttons measure 1-1/2".

Center to center between Right and Up is 4".

Center to center between Right and HS is 2-1/2" - same for Up and HS.

Width of entire unit measures 8-15/16" x 4-1/8".

• Like 3

Your controller looks pretty slick! Here are the specs for the Starplex:

Center to center for the upper left two buttons and the upper right two buttons measure 1-1/2".

Center to center between Right and Up is 4".

Center to center between Right and HS is 2-1/2" - same for Up and HS.

Width of entire unit measures 8-15/16" x 4-1/8".

Dude! Thank you so much, not only just what I needed but a super fast answer as well! I have only two more Qs to bother you with if I can, I should have asked these originally:

1. how HIGH is the unit itself?

2. How big would you say the buttons are? A 30mm or 24 mm button? Different size than that?

My little game pad thing is fun to play with (great for Joust etc too), I even made one with "hyperspace" centered under the two right buttons (makes it easier to reach) but I have the feeling this is supposed to be a bigger controller for the real experience. So now I want to build a bigger one. :-D

Edited by GoldenWheels

1-7/16" high in the rear (remember it slopes downward) and 3/4" in the front.

Buttons on the Starplex are only 3/4" round vs. 7/8" for arcade.

I like the Starplex controller, but would absolutely LOVE an arcade equivalent like what you're doing GW! Should make one myself someday. As an electronics hardware guy though, I just hate working with wood. Wait, did that come off wrong? :lol:

If you end up making a case like you did above but with a little better spacing between the middle, wouldn't mind purchasing one from 'ya. Asteroids has its buttons fairly close, but not as close as your example above:

post-13896-0-71819300-1489092490_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

save2600--you are the MAN (and I had no IDEA it sloped downward!). I owes you a beer!

I started as a woodworker myself, but after discovering the wonderful world of project boxes (which just feel so much more like a professionally manufactured product) I can't go back. And this level of wiring/soldering is about as far as my tech level goes!!!

My next plan is either a straight starplex copy, or something like this, an arcade stick with starplex controls built in:

post-1570-1065109619.jpg

Thing is with the button where they are, I have no idea how one could comfortably use the stick...

• Like 1

If you end up making a case like you did above but with a little better spacing between the middle, wouldn't mind purchasing one from 'ya. Asteroids has its buttons fairly close, but not as close as your example above:

attachicon.gifAsteroids_-_1979_-_Atari.jpg

I was just messing around with spare parts when I made that thing and was amazed a 24 mm button fit in a 1 inch high case (albeit I had to bend the pins down). When I make the bigger one I'll put it here and see what you think!

• Like 1