IGNORED

F18A Tips?

AuTomato

I got my F18A a little while ago and I've been waiting for some free time to get it installed and try it out, but I figured I'd ask the forum if anyone has any particular tips or best practices for mounting and installation.

Any particular VGA bracket mounting location better than others, best way to modify the case, etc?

Get a second TI-99/4A on www.shopgoodwill.com for about $25. Install the F18A into the least attractive unit. After you've messed up do it right the second time on the prettier unit.

Consider getting a small VGA to HDMI converter so your TI can have HDMI output. Many of the early adopters of the F18A are converting our mods to HDMI

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234226-hdmi-for-the-ti/

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 1

mounting it is really up to you and where the cable will reach to.

Remeber the heatsink mounted on the 99/4a shell needs to come off (2 screws). Usually you will have to cut a small section off one of the clamshells to feed the cable through.and mount it to the back of the unit. Mine is mounted roughlyin the middle/top location on the back of the console.

Why you have it opened, you can also do the reset switch mod. I documented it in one of my newsletters.

And above all, take your time.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Another question, do you guys think it would be worthwhile to add some external switches so that I can change the jumpers on the board without having to disassemble it? I'm not really sure how often, if ever, I'd want to change those but if there's any chance it might be worth having the ability to do it without taking the TI99 apart.

Also, thanks to Shift838 for suggesting the reset switch mod. That would definitely be helpful.

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Another question, do you guys think it would be worthwhile to add some external switches so that I can change the jumpers on the board without having to disassemble it? I'm not really sure how often, if ever, I'd want to change those but if there's any chance it might be worth having the ability to do it without taking the TI99 apart.

Also, thanks to Shift838 for suggesting the reset switch mod. That would definitely be helpful.

I have never had to change my jumpers and I have had my F18A for about 2 years.

Also on the reset switch, the 2nd one I did I ended up mounting it close to the top offset from the joystick port on the left side. It's an almost flush (see pic) It seems to be a perfect spot and out of the way.

post-35187-0-45508900-1489171117_thumb.jpg

I have never had to change my jumpers and I have had my F18A for about 2 years.

Also on the reset switch, the 2nd one I did I ended up mounting it close to the top offset from the joystick port on the left side. It's an almost flush (see pic) It seems to be a perfect spot and out of the way.

That looks pretty nice. I'll have to check my parts bins and see what I have lying around as far as reset buttons go. Thanks for the feedback on the jumpers. I won't worry about it too much, though I might still do it just for the heck of it. Maybe just a little dip switch bank mounted alongside the VGA port.

One question that just occurred to me, does the F18A also output composite, or is the video output limited to VGA only? It's not a big deal either way, I just realized I've not seen any information either way.

That looks pretty nice. I'll have to check my parts bins and see what I have lying around as far as reset buttons go. Thanks for the feedback on the jumpers. I won't worry about it too much, though I might still do it just for the heck of it. Maybe just a little dip switch bank mounted alongside the VGA port.

One question that just occurred to me, does the F18A also output composite, or is the video output limited to VGA only? It's not a big deal either way, I just realized I've not seen any information either way.

VGA only. Also you will still have to run your audio from the original connector. the F18A severs the composite signal now but audio is still there.

There are some cheap VGA to HDMI converters we have purchased that also have an audio in and then just HDMI to the monitor/TV and all works.

• Like 1

VGA only. Also you will still have to run your audio from the original connector. the F18A severs the composite signal now but audio is still there.

There are some cheap VGA to HDMI converters we have purchased that also have an audio in and then just HDMI to the monitor/TV and all works.

Cool. It's no problem, my "battlestation" has a Sony PVM with external speakers (the PVM has a single internal one, which okay for the TI99, but not good for the newer things I've also got hooked up to it) and a nice square aspect ratio LCD so it's really just a matter of one extra cable. Speaking of the PVM, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to turn simulated scanlines on over VGA, otherwise it just won't feel right!