IGNORED

Is RETROPIE the end of real Atari gaming?

alortegac

Would it be possible to buy one of these. And copy all the roms off to anther better like psp or something. Or there is probably no way to get the files off.

Edited by 0078265317

Would it be possible to buy one of these. And copy all the roms off to anther better like psp or something. Or there is probably no way to get the files off.

A silly waste of time and money, you would be far better off just getting the ROMS elsewhere, not a hard thing to do. The add says you can add / delete GBA / NES / SMC roms so just go download complete sets of GBA / NES / SMC which would amount to minimal size and you are good to go, no need to buy this garbage. And YES all those units are garbage, TV out or not.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

A silly waste of time and money, you would be far better off just getting the ROMS elsewhere, not a hard thing to do. The add says you can add / delete GBA / NES / SMC roms so just go download complete sets of GBA / NES / SMC which would amount to minimal size and you are good to go, no need to buy this garbage. And YES all those units are garbage, TV out or not.

Yes but I have never seen 10,000 roms available for download anywhere. Or complete sets for that matter.

Edited by 0078265317

Yes but I have never seen 10,000 roms available for download anywhere. Or complete sets for that matter.

Because many are duplicates and many still that claim to be original are knock off's of similar games and still more a just poor wierd roms from hacked games etc. By the time you sort out all the junk you are likely lucky to find many original titles. These cheap Chinese knockoff handhelds just contain ROMS of questionable origin and very few are worth your time, so really you are not getting 10000 worthy roms , you are getting MAYBE 500-1000 and the rest are filler garbage. TRUST ME I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE as I purposely collect and tinker with such gadgets of my own free will but even so I am not going to pretend it is a sane thing to do. As for complete ROM sets....there are various sources from torrents archives, FTP sites or even direct download sets like ISO . com with just a little effort and caution anyone can obtain them freely. But hey I am just being honest with you, feel free to order such a device and see for yourself. ;)

• Like 2

emulation still isn't there for me... things are still a bit off and I can tell..... some games are still unplayable/unwinnable in emu's but run fine on real machines for the win... handily I might add..

as for prototypes etc etc..... ultimate sd carts and other devices for these old machine make prototypes and the like available to all.... I think Pie makes a good add on device to Serve the Atari and act as a bridge for certain things... It just can't replace the real thing.... maybe in another 20 years they'll get it but close is still no cigar. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If its all based upon emulation then you could not give me one of these, whilst emulation is pretty good on most of these systems its not THAT good, things like Kega Fusion and Higan are close but Higan uses a horrible system to load roms which is part of the authors databasing ideal so I doubt its a Higan port but maybe an old Bsnes or worse still Zsnes. Again, its unlikely Steve Snakes Fusion will be the default emulator which is about the most complete working one out there (blaster needs LOADS of work) but there are no ports of it so it will be an older less complete emu.

I'll stick with my real US Snes, my real PS2 etc but I salute 2 PC emulators that are superb, Altirra for the Atari 8bit and WinUAE for the Amiga, feature packed works of art where emulated exactness is key...Thank you Avery and Toniy!

Edited by Mclaneinc

Holding a real cartridge and placing it into a machine can never be replicated or replaced.

I recently purchased a 7800 multi cart that had 8 games on it. One of which was Ikari Warriors. I've played this in emulation, and thought it was good. Then I popped the game into my 7800 and played, and the same game was much, much better on real hardware.

I love and support emulation, but there's no substitute playing most of these games on the real equipment.

• Like 1