IGNORED

How to burn eprom with hyperXF

bax001

I don't know about that particular programmer, but typically you load the binary or intel hex format file into the programmer's software (or if it is RS-232 connected, into the programmer itself). After your code is loaded, you blank check, burn and verify.

Each programmer is different, but the fundamental principles are similar.

Do you have the file you want to burn, or are you trying to read the Xf551 ROM, patch it and burn it?

Edit: Why did you mention 27128? The XF ROM is nowhere near that big. I don't have one in front of me, but it should be a 2732 or 2764 at the largest. I can't see that firmware requiring more than 4K. Even 8K is difficult to believe. I'm not home right now to verify, but I *know* it can't be a 16K 27128.

Edited by Kyle22

To prepare the HyperXF ROM file for programming to a 27128 you need to make the file 16kB by combining 2 copies of the same ROM file. This isn't necessary if using a 2764.

I believe "copy /b file1.bin+file2.bin output.bin" at a Windows cmd prompt will do this.

@Kyle: The 27128/27256 are pin compatible with a 2764, just adding extra lines. By combining multiple copies of the file to fill the capacity it doesn't matter which 8kB bank is selected by the unused address lines.

To prepare the HyperXF ROM file for programming to a 27128 you need to make the file 16kB by combining 2 copies of the same ROM file. This isn't necessary if using a 2764.

I believe "copy /b file1.bin+file2.bin output.bin" at a Windows cmd prompt will do this.

@Kyle: The 27128/27256 are pin compatible with a 2764, just adding extra lines. By combining multiple copies of the file to fill the capacity it doesn't matter which 8kB bank is selected by the unused address lines.

There is a hardware way to divide the 16Kb address space on a 27128 into 2 8Kb blocks and select between one of these 2 blocks using a switch. Connect pin 26 (address line A13) via a 4k7 resistor to +5V (pin 28) and via a switch to GND (pin 14). Open switch means the high 8Kb block is selected, closed switch the low 8Kb block.

It sounds like TS programmed the eprom with the 8Kb bin file into address x0000-01FFF, leaving the upper 8kB block empty. As you say, programming the bin file in both 8Kb blocks will solve the problem. Using a pincompatible flashrom or eeprom will save the tedious and time consuming UV erase process. Of course, the programmer will need to support those. Don't know if this particular one does.

A 27256 eprom is not entirely pincompatible with a 2764 like a 27128 is. On a 2764/27128 the /PGM signal is on pin 27, this is routed together with /CE to pin 20 on a 27256. The manufacturers needed to make a pin available for A14.

The only difference between a 2764 and a 27128 is pin 26. On the 2764 this is NC, where on the 27128 it has the extra address line (A13) needed for 16Kb.

Note that all 27128's require a 12,5V programming voltage, where some 2764's need 21V. Usually this is clearly stated on top of the eprom.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari
  • Like 1