IGNORED

Switch already hacked?

Rev

It's not much of a surprise. You have a system that basically is a customized version of Android OS (NintendOS) running on a customized Nvidia Shield microconsole architecture, and it has both a USB-C 2 way port for data/power/video plus the micro SD slot as well. Nintendo will patch it out no doubt and more as they figure it out (or others do), but until they figure out a few key things it's meaningless.

Once you can read a legit game card, steal the data, place it online, AND make it readable as warez for a hacked device that's when things will get real (and ugly.) Same if someone figured out how to swipe junk off the eshop and pull the same crap. They'll also get annoyed if you can throw homebrew on there or other tweaked apps as that's like a gateway drug to screwing with the hardware.

I just go by what I was told awhile back that NintendOS is fairly similar to android, could be considered a flavor of it sort of in a loose way like FireOS is for Amazon. It's why you can basically pick up and drop code from Android apps right onto the system and it just works. Some stories online have mirrored that discussion too in less direct ways if I recall right, but no I can't cite what isn't really stated with clarity online. Remember at time I get told stuff. So yes while to someone else it could like a baseless rumor I stick to what I pick up until its proven wrong you know?

I've read that the Switch runs a version of BSD.

Now the media will tell you that BSD is like Linux (they are related), and Android is Linux based, so therefore the Switch OS is basically Android..

That is nonsense. Android is a bunch of stuff built on top of a Linux kernel. BSD has none of that, unless they ported an android layer

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

I just go by what I was told awhile back that NintendOS is fairly similar to android, could be considered a flavor of it sort of in a loose way like FireOS is for Amazon. It's why you can basically pick up and drop code from Android apps right onto the system and it just works. Some stories online have mirrored that discussion too in less direct ways if I recall right, but no I can't cite what isn't really stated with clarity online. Remember at time I get told stuff. So yes while to someone else it could like a baseless rumor I stick to what I pick up until its proven wrong you know?

If you're suggesting it's OK to spout nonsense you don't understand until proven wrong, I disagree. "I get told stuff" is no excuse.

Switch supports Unity, which means it's easy to develop cross-platform games. Not the same thing as dropping Android code and expecting it to "just work."

• Like 3

I'm not spouting nonsense unlike that attitude problem of yours you need to put into check. I'm not making excuses, but whatever, since I can't put it into writing for you nothing will satisfy the argument so why carry it further. My guess since you seem to know better would be you work for a licensed third party perhaps? I'd hate to think you're just spouting argumentative nonsense too by your logic.

WAT?

Fanboy butthurt over Nintendo shutting down the AM2R fan release of a modernization of Metroid 2 (GB) for the PC. The day it came out pretty much right off Nintendo sent off a C&D letter but not to the source. So the source author did one last bugfix update and dropped that, then Nintendo sent him one directly and put it to bed. There's been a lot of angry Metroid fans over that one, doesn't seem very justified since the guy was using their IP and visual assets and characters to make the game without permission. The thing is I think Nintendo the way they handled it was right. IT was announced for years in development with steady updates, even a countdown clock to release. Once it was out, they didn't even go after him directly but only after the second update. I think they allowed it out there with the view of it looking like they didn't because in the end it was free advertising of their franchise with a fan project that collected no compensation other than a job well done and peoples thanks. They easily could have done what Square-Enix likes to do, wait days until years worth of work is done, then sick a lawyer on them with lawsuit papers (that Chrono Trigger sequel a couple years back) instead.

Mord, so be it. I hate rumors too so I get it, but my problem is when I find out things randomly now and again it's down over the phone and therefore isn't stuff that can be cited. If I'm told I can share it, just not to quote who (like in the press those 'anonymous sources') it creates zero credibility and I get that. So it's either, I just keep it to myself, or I share it, and I usually more than not do share and then people can either take it as bs, or an interesting nugget that could be possibly true. It's why I don't like to engage in arguing over it, nor do I like being attacked on it either since all I'm doing it trying to share. Either way isn't this kind of derailing the subject anyways? I guess the question is, would it be better to say something or not?

• Like 1