IGNORED

Any Fans of the Genes Model 1 VA2 or Japanese Mega Drive Model VA0 and VA1?

Stevie Goodwin

While it's one of the good revisions, but sound prone to distortion on loud sounds, I'm sure these can be fixed. If you have a VA0, VA1 or VA2, what do you think of it.

I have a VA2 US console made 1989 with Serial 39S65073 and it sounds amazing.

If you own those early Mega Drive/Genesis consoles, Let me know.

Here is a VA0:

100_0876.jpg

Here is a VA1:

800px-Megadrive_VA1_Produced_unit_99N834

Here is a VA2: (I own it):

800px-MD1_IC_BD_M5_USA_VA2.jpg

Edited by Stevie Goodwin

I really like my modded va2 model 1. But it does still have the clipping or distortion issue on really loud notes and PCM samples. The orchestra hits in Gunstar heroes is a good example. But otherwise it has been a fantastic Genesis and I play it nearly daily.

I really like my modded va2 model 1. But it does still have the clipping or distortion issue on really loud notes and PCM samples. The orchestra hits in Gunstar heroes is a good example. But otherwise it has been a fantastic Genesis and I play it nearly daily.

Good, Glad you like your VA2. I'm glad your Sonic 3 is working, but calling out all owners of Japanese Mega Drive VA0 or VA1's. Post your serial numbers.

I don't recall what board revision my Mega Drive Model 1 is. I haven't noticed any major distortion or clipping, but I'm also running stereo out of the headphone jack into my TV. Love the console though.

Does your Mega Drive say AV Terminal High Grade Multi Purpose Use on it? Also does it have a ® on the SEGA logo. Open it up and check the board revision.

Here's the console top. I remember it having a blue and green wire inside on the mobo, and rows of capacitors by the headphone volume slider. I'll look at Sega board revisions just to visually confirm. I don't feel like opening it up again. Lol.Based on what I've seen, I have a VA5 board.

post-5805-0-67874800-1490412984_thumb.jpg

Edited by madhatter667

• 2 weeks later...

I have a VA1 Japanese Mega Drive and it does indeed have issues with distorted audio. I fixed it by tapping the audio from the CXA1034 preamp chip and routing it to a couple of RCA jacks at the back. It's been my main Genesis/MD console for years but I think the VA5 & VA6 boards are better, the distortion on my VA1 drove me nuts until I figured out it was a design flaw and not a capacitor issue.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 1

I have a VA1 Japanese Mega Drive and it does indeed have issues with distorted audio. I fixed it by tapping the audio from the CXA1034 preamp chip and routing it to a couple of RCA jacks at the back. It's been my main Genesis/MD console for years but I think the VA5 & VA6 boards are better, the distortion on my VA1 drove me nuts until I figured out it was a design flaw and not a capacitor issue.

Okay, What is your VA1's serial? Also, can you take a picture of your main board? Do you still use your Va1?

Okay, What is your VA1's serial? Also, can you take a picture of your main board? Do you still use your Va1?

Not sure why you want a picture of the board, it's just like any other VA1 except with some wires for the audio jacks and region switch. The serial is 89N51021, and like I said before it's been my main console for years.

Can you show me the wires? Is it possible to do without the audio jacks?

Many of us mod the earliler HDG Genesis system with separate RCA audio outputs pulled directly for the audio out lines off the 1034 amp so avoid some of the noise in the circuit, and especially to help with the screech on loud samples that the earlier HDG models were known for.

Honestly, it does not matter. Plug the console into TV and play a game. It will sound OK no matter which version. Only retards at Sega 16 needed to come creating a "problem". They cannot make a good game for Genesis, design a new cartridge with ADPCM... but they will ultimately mess around with the nonsence...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I found this topic and thought I'd add my 2cents. I know I'm kinda reviving an old thread but I feel it's worth it.
Here's an audio recording/comparison I did of my 1988 launch Mega Drive VA0 (that has been recapped) and a Genesis 2.
The serial number on my MD is 98M61116. I used the intro track from Thunder Force II.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While it's one of the good revisions, but sound prone to distortion on loud sounds, I'm sure these can be fixed. If you have a VA0, VA1 or VA2, what do you think of it.

I have a VA2 US console made 1989 with Serial 39S65073 and it sounds amazing.

I forgot where, but there are mods to fix the distortion.

I have the model 1 HD with no tmss and the RF is fantastic. I'm glad I lucked into it.

I got it as "broken / as-is" - cleaned the cart port and its been one of the best looking and sounding genesis I've had(the case is beat to hell tho).

I also have a late HD, last ver. model 1 and for gen 2 - 2 or 3 full size boards and two 3/4( one ver 4) and a gen3.

So, after having had over 5 different versions, I can say that there is a sound and picture difference between them.icon_music.gif

Would a ten year old be able to tell? probably not.

But if you have a choice, why not get the better one.icon_wink.gif

Honestly, it does not matter. Plug the console into TV and play a game. It will sound OK no matter which version. Only retards at Sega 16 needed to come creating a "problem". They cannot make a good game for Genesis, design a new cartridge with ADPCM... but they will ultimately mess around with the nonsence...

Is it "ok" when the sound on your tv sounds like a broken gamegear?

There is a pretty big difference in sound between some of the models - some literally don't play some of the music notes.

I guess some people don't care, but once you start - composite- then with stereo - then component - then RGB, you realize what these systems are REALLY capable of and its pretty great.

Edited by H454

I forgot where, but there are mods to fix the distortion.

I have the model 1 HD with no tmss and the RF is fantastic. I'm glad I lucked into it.

I got it as "broken / as-is" - cleaned the cart port and its been one of the best looking and sounding genesis I've had(the case is beat to hell tho).

I also have a late HD, last ver. model 1 and for gen 2 - 2 or 3 full size boards and two 3/4( one ver 4) and a gen3.

So, after having had over 5 different versions, I can say that there is a sound and picture difference between them.icon_music.gif

Would a ten year old be able to tell? probably not.

But if you have a choice, why not get the better one.icon_wink.gif

Is it "ok" when the sound on your tv sounds like a broken gamegear?

There is a pretty big difference in sound between some of the models - some literally don't play some of the music notes.

I guess some people don't care, but once you start - composite- then with stereo - then component - then RGB, you realize what these systems are REALLY capable of and its pretty great.

Is your Model 1 HD with no TMSS a VA2 or VA3? Because i heard that VA2's have quiet sound in RF.

Is your Model 1 HD with no TMSS a VA2 or VA3? Because i heard that VA2's have quiet sound in RF.

SN# 39s42111

To be honest, I have no idea.

"Non-TMSS: VA2, VA3, VA4, VA5"

The guide doesn't say how to identify between the two.

But sonic 2 sounds great.

This is the TV use it on: - 1991 Magnavox 19" stereo- FANTASTIC RF tuner and real speakers both sides

post-47811-0-10445100-1495408756_thumb.jpg

The sega box is for model 2s.

And, yes, the PS3 is connected to that tv through ch 3.icon_razz.gif - But I just use to watch hulu - old sd tv look great on it.

SN# 39s42111

To be honest, I have no idea.

"Non-TMSS: VA2, VA3, VA4, VA5"

The guide doesn't say how to identify between the two.

But sonic 2 sounds great.

This is the TV use it on: - 1991 Magnavox 19" stereo- FANTASTIC RF tuner and real speakers both sides

attachicon.gifmagnavox1.jpg

The sega box is for model 2s.

And, yes, the PS3 is connected to that tv through ch 3.icon_razz.gif - But I just use to watch hulu - old sd tv look great on it.

Ooh, Nice. If your serial is 39S, It's a VA2. You've got a VA2. Can you show your VA2's bottom?

Ooh, Nice. If your serial is 39S, It's a VA2. You've got a VA2. Can you show your VA2's bottom?

Oh my, aren't you fresh.icon_biggrinwink.gif

But, seriously, here is a pic

post-47811-0-33441800-1495415928_thumb.jpg

It has the early 800 # & fcc id

Edited by H454

I have a shell like that and the early 800 would be the 800 with no 1- on it similar to master Systems. You got one of the original units.

Yea, like I said, I kinda lucked out on getting it. Its too bad the case is almost trashed - lots of scratches.

I also got a 3/4 ver. 4 model 2 as well.icon_thumbsup.gif

I originally was looking for a 7800 for cheap, so I bought an ebay lot of "broken" consoles for like $150 with shipping.

The lot had a sears II, two 2600, two 7800, two dreamcasts, 8? genesis(2-3 model 1, 4 model 2 & 1 model 3) and a sears pinball. 80% of then worked with just some cleaning. But a 7800 and 2600 case got broken.icon_sad.gif

I seems like most Sega genesis aren't much, even when I find one at a thrift store, they are half the price of a ratty looking NES.

Edited by H454
  • Like 1

Oh my, aren't you fresh.icon_biggrinwink.gif

But, seriously, here is a pic

attachicon.gifgen1.jpg

It has the early 800 # & fcc id

Now you need to mod it with a discrete YM3438 and get it completely recapped with external RCAs added to bypass the noisy headphone section.