IGNORED

Any Fans of the Genes Model 1 VA2 or Japanese Mega Drive Model VA0 and VA1?

Stevie Goodwin

I would not mod that VA2 with the 800 number as it's completely rare and one of the first run consoles.

Need to at least get it recapped. That part won't improve over time. And as Stevie knows, the headphone slider rheostat goes bad on these HDGs models as well and will cause the "Ear Rape" Stevie mentions in his videos and posts. I had a va6 that suffered from that on the headphone jack. I replaced it out with the volume slider from my crappy va7 to fix it. Not sure of an off the shelf replacement for that part.

But I would think about getting it recapped soon if nothing else. That is an internal thing and can only prolong the life of the console. For me...I modded my va2 all over the place, but that was before I knew about the (rarity) of said version. I just knew mine seem to be one of the good ones without the TMSS and had good initial sound quality from it if a bit noisy from the floor levels.

So basically, dirt will get into the slider and cause ear rape like this? This is what happened to me on the last VA2 with the 39S29259 with the 800- number. serial and i have a another VA2 with serial reading 39S65073 with 1-800 number with a good slider with no Ear rape. And what's a rheostat? Does the 800- mean that it's the original release and 1-800 came later?

And oh, Is it normal for VA2's to have semi-quiet volume in the RF, Because when i tried the AV, It had the loud volume like a VA3-VA6 when i used AV in the VA2. I think it might be a manufacturing error in SEGA's part for the VA2 RF OUT.

Edited by Stevie Goodwin

Rheostat is another name for potentiometer. And in my case, I've dealt with three such Genesis systems over the past 20 years with the popping and scratching and "ear rape" sound as Stevie calls it. Cleaning them did nothing and I had to physically replace them with donors pulled from other systems.

And oh, Is it normal for VA2's to have semi-quiet volume in the RF, Because when i tried the AV, It had the loud volume like a VA3-VA6 when i used AV in the VA2. I think it might be a manufacturing error in SEGA's part for the VA2 RF OUT.

Couldn't tell you about that. My va2 doesn't even have the RF modulator installed it in anymore. I took it out when I converted to s-video and installed the RCA jacks for audio and composite video. In fact I still remove the RF modulators from the ones I mod for people today. It causes additional noise in the line on the video and audio and if you have the composite and s-video outputs, there isn't a need for the RF at that point. If you still need to hook it up via RF for some reason, then you get a de-modulator (I've a few on hand) to convert the composite back to an RF out signal with audio.

Oh...my va6 is VERY low on volume through the RCA outputs. So that leads me to believe that Sega made some pretty substantial changes to the audio out buffering and amplification. Could be I need to replace the caps in that va6 as well, but yeah... really low volume from that one through RCA separates.

Couldn't tell you about that. My va2 doesn't even have the RF modulator installed it in anymore. I took it out when I converted to s-video and installed the RCA jacks for audio and composite video. In fact I still remove the RF modulators from the ones I mod for people today. It causes additional noise in the line on the video and audio and if you have the composite and s-video outputs, there isn't a need for the RF at that point. If you still need to hook it up via RF for some reason, then you get a de-modulator (I've a few on hand) to convert the composite back to an RF out signal with audio.

Oh...my va6 is VERY low on volume through the RCA outputs. So that leads me to believe that Sega made some pretty substantial changes to the audio out buffering and amplification. Could be I need to replace the caps in that va6 as well, but yeah... really low volume from that one through RCA separates.

Try replacing the caps, or you did the the RCA mod wrong. Are you using regular av cables using Mono or an RCA mod tapping off the CXA1034 or using the stereo from the Headphone jack?

Try replacing the caps, or you did the the RCA mod wrong. Are you using regular av cables using Mono or an RCA mod tapping off the CXA1034 or using the stereo from the Headphone jack?

Did you really just ask me this? You know I tap the audio for my RCA jacks from off the 1034 directly and always have. I suspect the caps more than anything, but it could be something else as well. After all the volume slider appeared to be totally blown out so I'm thinking someone plugged power into the headphone port in the past and likely damaged the 1034 as well. Just don't have a spare unit with one of those on it to swap out as I don't believe the va7 model has a 1034 on it. Would have to check though to be sure.

Now you need to mod it with a discrete YM3438 and get it completely recapped with external RCAs added to bypass the noisy headphone section.

I would not mod that VA2 with the 800 number as it's completely rare and one of the first run consoles.

Need to at least get it recapped. That part won't improve over time. And as Stevie knows, the headphone slider rheostat goes bad on these HDGs models as well and will cause the "Ear Rape" Stevie mentions in his videos and posts. I had a va6 that suffered from that on the headphone jack. I replaced it out with the volume slider from my crappy va7 to fix it. Not sure of an off the shelf replacement for that part.

But I would think about getting it recapped soon if nothing else. That is an internal thing and can only prolong the life of the console. For me...I modded my va2 all over the place, but that was before I knew about the (rarity) of said version. I just knew mine seem to be one of the good ones without the TMSS and had good initial sound quality from it if a bit noisy from the floor levels.

Maybe in the future I'll play with one of my other HD gennys, but right I use just for the good RF signal.

The RF looks as good as composite video on most tvs and yes, I know the difference - I have a model 2 hooked up to a Sony PVM(VIA RGB).icon_wink.gif

I've looked into the overclocking mod and direct stereo - those are the ones i want to try with a unit I don't care about.

Also, has any one tried this stereo mod?:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/G5Ody7Ol

By "Helder"

"A nice little circuit so you can add a stereo out to Genesis/Mega Drive 1 and bypass the volume slider control.Schematic by : MEGADRIVEJeroi from Sega16 Forums. Has been tested and works great."

Yes I've seen mention of that before. And I believe they still continue to test and tweak it. What I do to essentially bypass most of the headphone jack circuit is to just tap the left and right audio directly off the output pins from the 1034 preamp chip. Depending on the model Genesis it will result in perhaps lower volume, but that is easily compensated hooking it up through an AV receiver like I do.

Stevie -

I've never even seen a model 1 in the wild, let alone one that early. Ebay is your best bet, but most people know what they're selling. So you will pay more.

Sega didn't really get competitive until the model 2 came out(plus price drops).

Stevie -

I've never even seen a model 1 in the wild, let alone one that early. Ebay is your best bet, but most people know what they're selling. So you will pay more.

Sega didn't really get competitive until the model 2 came out(plus price drops).

(hate to "quote" my self)

Of course, as so as I say that, I found a model 1 HD with tmss for $29.99. Case was In good condition too.(didn't buy it though)

I was surprised that they didn't want $60.

Most Clean NES start at $50 and go to over $100 sometimes.icon_thumbsdown.gif

Funny thing is, I think Nintendo sold twice the NES units compared to genesis.

Also, If anyone is looking for original (non click type) replacement reset switches I have some here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/262928-sega-genesis-model-1-2-oem-style-reset-switch/

• 1 month later...

I seems like most Sega genesis aren't much, even when I find one at a thrift store, they are half the price of a ratty looking NES.

This, sadly, is why i don't own a NES (yet...) ...I once played a Japanse VA0 at "Propaganda Place" once. it was nice, but the place is a record, video, and videogame store that charges $120 for a NES in bad looking shape!

This, sadly, is why i don't own a NES (yet...) ...I once played a Japanse VA0 at "Propaganda Place" once. it was nice, but the place is a record, video, and videogame store that charges $120 for a NES in bad looking shape!

I was at savers the other day and for a SNES with the cables, power and Power Rangers cart - they wanted $89.99!

When I come across a nes at the goodwill(extremely rare) they want $40.

Makes really glad I got one of the last of low-budget's Super 8 Bit consoles.

I have a board that looks like the Japanese VAC1, but it's a Genesis. I can tell because in the picture the power plug is attached to the board, just like mine. And mine doesn't have some of the weird cords going around on the top of the board. I do like it.

Can you send a photo of the board? I would love to see it.

Uh, The worst Sega Genesis Model 1 revision. It's a VA7. Isn't this the revision that has poor audio?

I haven't noticed anything with the audio. In fact, I use some auxiliary speakers that I plug into the headphone jack, and it sounds really good I think. I do have another Sega Genesis board, VA2 I think, that wouldn't turn on so I gutted it for other uses. They do look very different board wise though. Dang though. I thought I had some sort of cool model or something, lol. And is the VA7 on the board the way you can tell which model it is?

Edited by MrAnonymous

Yes..the va7 marked on the board is how you tell which version it is. I have a va7 myself and it looks near mint. Or at least it did. But since they have such poor audio circuitry in them, I use it for spare parts. The va7 is essentially a model in a slightly bloated main board and made to fit into the standard model 1 genesis shell.

Yes..the va7 marked on the board is how you tell which version it is. I have a va7 myself and it looks near mint. Or at least it did. But since they have such poor audio circuitry in them, I use it for spare parts. The va7 is essentially a model in a slightly bloated main board and made to fit into the standard model 1 genesis shell.

Yeah I wish my VA2 worked because then the audio wouldn't be as bad, but I still love my Genesis and I'm kinda a casual player so I'm not worried about audio, etc.

Yeah I wish my VA2 worked because then the audio wouldn't be as bad, but I still love my Genesis and I'm kinda a casual player so I'm not worried about audio, etc.

Is the sound not present or is it distorting? Also can you send a picture of your VA2's board? You can send the board to me if you want me to repair it.

Is the sound not present or is it distorting? Also can you send a picture of your VA2's board? You can send the board to me if you want me to repair it.

I should've rephrased my sentence. The board just doesn't turn on. Before I knew about repairing the voltage regulators, I gutted the system, cut the wire from the power jack, and I don't know where that ended up, and modified the case for a computer motherboard to fit in there so I could use my Sega Genesis like a computer. So If I were to fix it or send it to you I would have to find a new case. Thanks for asking to fix it though! And currently I am at a different loaction than the board, but when I get to where I have my board I will send a picture.

Edited by MrAnonymous