IGNORED

Capcom announces The Disney Afternoon Collection

Atariboy

Well, they aren't, really. Presumably Disney and Capcom own the roms, and then some kind of dandy emulator is applied.

Additionally, you have years of Mega Man collections for everything from the PS2 onward and stuff that has the SNES Star Wars games and probably other things I'm forgetting about. This kind of collection is nothing new.

• Like 3

The truth of what it is and all it entails is no secret and already out there.

Look no further than this, the ECLIPSE ENGINE: http://www.digitaleclipse.com/#technology

Basically what they've created is their own specific hand crafted NES emulator within the Eclipse Engine. The way it is designed is that it's a one stop shop so they don't have to repeatedly recode the same crap over and over again. You do it once in the engine, then the engine itself retools itself to the format intended for them saving them time and money. Clearly it's not flawless as the Mega Man Legacy Collection didn't perform 100% accurately on ANY of the 6 MM games across any of the formats, but some suffered more than others. On the whole it's fine but it needs updates/refinement to be better and perhaps it's a v2 situation with this Disney package.

All they did was get back with Capcom again, they created/upgrade the existing NES emulator made for Eclipse Engine they were using and added all the extra fluff like MMLC has, then used the same eclipse engine program, tossed yet another set of 6 NES ROMS into their emulator, pushed the PORT GAME button(sarcasm here) on their engine package, and poof...the DIsney Afternoon Collection.

• Like 1

Some original source code alterations are happening to enable the Boss Rush and Time Attack modes for each game.

I am wondering how Nintendo isn't upset that they are using Nintendo technology on competing systems.

NES patents expired long ago.

Edited by Atariboy

I will stand outside the offices of Capcom and drive hot railroad spikes up my rectum every day until the Switch port is confirmed.

You could probably generate very significant revenue from the sale of that video... :-o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look how quiet the launch has been. While this never was going to be as big of a deal as Mega Man Legacy Collection was, part of it surely is the lack of a retail version or Nintendo support. It entered with a whimper where as forums were full of MMLC threads and it saw widespread review coverage by the usual outlets.

Look how quiet the launch has been. While this never was going to be as big of a deal as Mega Man Legacy Collection was, part of it surely is the lack of a retail version or Nintendo support. It entered with a whimper where as forums were full of MMLC threads and it saw widespread review coverage by the usual outlets.

Very true. I don't really keep up with modern gaming consoles, but even then, I never would have heard about Blaster Master Zero if I hadn't stumbled upon an AtariAge thread about the game. It would have made more waves if it had been released as a cart (even as a budget title of some sort) than just a download. It seems downloadable games are a dime a million nowadays...

It's out? Huh I forgot about it. Probably as you said there, because it didn't come to Nintendo. Had those short sighted idiots put it on 3DS or Switch I'd have seen a pop up about it and probably picked it up. I guess it kind of serves them right the general lack of coverage or interest outside of the day of and few after of that video and press release showing up. It's like they didn't even really want to try and move it for some reason when you look how MMLC rolled out.

I think that's a good point though, so many games are download now and especially stuff that rightly really shouldn't be, that they're a dime a dozened, so cheapened by the skin flint tight fisted antics of some companies people just lose interest and forget they're there either when they arrive or after they get it and it just rots on a list in your system of choice.

Blaster Master 0 I was well aware of in advance, but in all this time I've just got to area 2 or 3, but only played it like 2-3x too. It's not that it's just ok (because it's great) or that it's not worth my time, but digital games I place little value in as I don't really own them. I'll always play a physical piece of gaming media first no matter what. I put real money into that, got a real item back in my hand, and I greatly more so commit to its use because of that as I have a real stake in it. Maybe some others are like that too, or maybe that makes no sense, but it does to me.

As it is Wonderboy Dragon's Trap for a heavy handed $20 price tag popped up on Switch and the other guys today. I'd like to buy that, but it's too much for a lease I'll end up using very little. I've seen a LOT of comments online already of people calling them stupid cheapskates that it was made for physical media. I 100% agree, and I had thought it was going to be too at one point so it largely dropped off my radar. That true wonderboy (Monster Boy) sequel coming from the old makers, that one looks to be going physical so I'll be all over that later this year if that holds true.

Maybe there were too many retro releases as well : http://tinycartridge.com/post/159718827887/too-many-games-out-today-start-all-the

It's been out for a day and has 18 reviews so far: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-disney-afternoon-collection

• Like 1

Okay, I said I probably wouldn't do it, but after seeing some Time Attack run doing the first Rescue Rangers in under 12 minutes I decided so much time I have as well. Okay, my run was over half an hour in the end and I did it twice to get the playthrough and no-rewind trophies as well. 6 trophies down, 14 more to go :)

• 5 weeks later...

Comments on Capcom's page include "twenty bucks? Too expensive!" and "waaah, I want it on physical media." :roll:

Meh, different people have different priorities, I wouldn't roll my eyes at the comments. But then I guess I'd fall into this group too in this particular case. I'd like to play one or two of those games again, and this would be a cheaper option than trying to buy the original NES carts (to which I will roll my eyes at the price tags those stupid things demand these days!). But I'm not that interested in it, so at 20 bucks for digital I can easily refrain. I will keep an eye on it if it shows up in a flash sale later however. That being said, if a physical copy of it showed up at 39.99 I'd probably go ahead and buy it.

I guess you could more accurately say I'm the silent portion of that group of comments. I'm not worked up enough to actually -say- anything about the prices or distribution choices made by capcom (or any other publisher doing similar things) but my buying habits end up being the same result as felt by the publisher. ;) If there's enough people like me out there, then capcom is losing a pretty penny by not bothering with a physical release. :)

• Like 1