IGNORED

Favorite Downports?

KWKBOX

The launch of the master system video? Nope. Two reasons, seemed a little click bait, but also I don't care enough as I knew enough on that subject from reading about it years ago in some books/online so it would be a wasted effort.

I don't really sub to anything on youtube, especially gaming related. Just so I know when there's a new episode I have one set for epic rap battles of history, star trek (original series) season 4, and if I care to go look - brave wilderness as that guy seems to love pain by animal. Other than that youtube is mostly a one off wanting some video example of a 'how to...' or something I'm interested in so I can get a taste before I choose to buy/waste time on it or not which includes obviously video games.

I must say, this is hardly an original statement, but Castle of Illusion and Sonic the Hedgehog for the SMS. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are BETTER... just very good in their own ways. Best of all, they don't feel like they are a bigger game squat into something smaller like Altered Beast or Space Harrier or Golden Axe... if one never knew that 16 bit original editions existed, these would still be highly regarded in their own rights as great games.

As well I think Ninja Gaiden on NES somehow gets disqualified for being SO different, but if it counts, that's a big one there. The arcade HAD a good idea. A beat-em-up starring a ninja. Too bad they made it one player (I think?) and gave you some of the worst controls ever.

Mortal Kombat on the Game Gear is just amazing. It must be the extra palette of the GG, cause even on that super low-res washed out screen, those characters look darn good (when all their sprites showing anyway!)

And this is gonna be a STRANGE one...

After Burner on the SMS. This is probably my favorite version of After Burner. No trollin. I just love it. I almost beat it the other day. Got to level 17. Farthest I EVER got, but I skipped the Flying Fortresses so I got a score not worth mentioning.

Some would argue that ANY score on After Burner for SMS is not worth mentioning.

• Like 3

The launch of the master system video? Nope. Two reasons, seemed a little click bait, but also I don't care enough as I knew enough on that subject from reading about it years ago in some books/online so it would be a wasted effort.

I don't really sub to anything on youtube, especially gaming related. Just so I know when there's a new episode I have one set for epic rap battles of history, star trek (original series) season 4, and if I care to go look - brave wilderness as that guy seems to love pain by animal. Other than that youtube is mostly a one off wanting some video example of a 'how to...' or something I'm interested in so I can get a taste before I choose to buy/waste time on it or not which includes obviously video games.

So if I posted a video about an epic rap battle about star trek in the brave wilderness you would not watch it?

Funny, I totally agreed with your symantics comment but then you undermined your own credibility by favoriting Frogger on the 2600! I appreciate that we're talking about opinions and personal favorites, but Frogger on the 2600?! I mean, there's even the supercharger version available for the 2600 that spanks it. Frogger on the 2600 pshaw.

I love this board and thank you for the opportunity to be a troll. I'll take my lashings off the air.

Ha, I guess Frogger is a bit of an outlier on my list. Funny thing is, I'm a big fan of arcade games and, accordingly, I am usually pretty vicious with how I judge home ports--especially in the present day, because MAME arguably makes home ports unnecessary to begin with. But, I enjoy 2600 Frogger. Probably the nostalgia talking, admittedly. My fondness for it certainly has nothing to do with graphics or arcade authenticity.

I really like the SMS version of Double Dragon, but I'm surely biased because I grew up with that one. But I would argue the music and graphics are better than the NES port. Music just sounds more synthesized on the SMS and the colors are richer instead of washed out pastels on the NES.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about the KWKBOX thing, sorry I'm joining the discussion a bit late but I have to say I don't think he did anything wrong and I'm not just saying that because I post some of my videos on this forum too. There seems to be a double standard at play here. You guys say he should have started a discussion before making the video, etc... But if he committed a foul, then why is it okay when MetalJesusRocks drops off his videos here? (which are monetized too, in case you didn't know that)

Seriously, look at these two posts and please tell me what the difference is:

They both have a couple sentences and then post a video relevant to the thread. They're identical in their approach. In fact, you deride KWKBOX's "click bait" (...KWKB8..?) but be honest and tell me which of those two titles is the click bait.

I don't see a difference, and maybe you don't either. Maybe you guys do in fact have a problem with MetalJesus posting videos here but no one has the balls to call him out so you take it out on a guy with less than 1k subs. As for me- I don't have a problem with MetalJesus' threads nor do I have a problem with what KWKBOX did here. He posted a thread to talk about downports and posted an example in the form of a video. It's his way of starting a discussion and some of us like seeing someone elaborate in a video instead of a half page of text. He made a video and probably spent a good deal of effort making it, so why shouldn't he use it as a jump off point for discussion?

If you're going to crack down on someone, please make sure you do it fairly and consistently instead of choosing easy targets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... Speaking of which... Fantasy Zone has some amazing downports. The MSX1 version tries so hard it's just adorable. Definitely worth a play. But my favorite of all is probably the LCD game. It's amazing how much of the arcade game the crammed in there. You can fire bullets, bombs and there's three boss battles! Get one while they're still affordable, they were sold in Japan only.

• Like 5

That was a pretty slick trojan horse approach for a monetized youtube video. I appreciate the example and info. The real question is did he get Tanooki to watch his video though? That is my life's goal right there.

The difference is, he has been a highly active member on this forum for many years and has provided actual value to it in many different ways. 99.9% of his posts have nothing to do with his own YouTube content.

A lot of us have active YouTube channels, but respect the forum and its participants most of the time. If someone wants to promote their video here, there are other ways to do it without baiting people into a thread every time you create a new video. Start a blog and make blog entries for each video. Post status updates. Go to the "Gaming Publications / Web Sites" sub-forum and start a singular thread there that houses your content you wish to share. Use your signature area for links to your social media and video platforms. If you have to absolutely mention your video somewhere on the forum, perhaps consider mentioning it in the form of a highlighted link instead of a massive preview/thumbnail (example, "..Hey, nice game room! I just did a video of my own, feel free to check it out to see how I do things." ...see what I did there?).

I don't see a difference, and maybe you don't either. Maybe you guys do in fact have a problem with MetalJesus posting videos here but no one has the balls to call him out so you take it out on a guy with less than 1k subs.

Several people have called out 'ole MJR. It's unlikely that he will change how he does business around here. KWK on the other hand.. he's still young and impressionable. ;)

• Like 2

If someone was really extolling the virtues of respect on a discussion form, then they would respectfully add KWKBOX to their Ignore List and enjoy the rest of what this forum has to offer instead of attacking him publicly for something you can clearly see other people doing.

If the "Gaming Publications / Web Sites" sub-forum exists for a reason, shouldn't the Ignore List exist just the same?

If someone was really extolling the virtues of respect on a discussion form, they would respectfully add KWKBOX to their Ignore List and enjoy the rest of what this forum has to offer instead of attacking him publicly for something you can clearly see other people doing.

If the "Gaming Publications / Web Sites" sub-forum exists for a reason, shouldn't the Ignore List exist just the same?

Nice try, but the ignore function doesn't work like that for threads.

post-24675-0-98337500-1490075652_thumb.png

. It's his way of starting a discussion

No, it's not. It's simply him dropping off a video.

See here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261065-is-the-sega-32x-really-that-bad/

Only made the initial post, 3 pages later he hasn't made one single reply. Doesn't sound like starting a discussion he wants to be involved in.

And another. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262326-best-puzzle-games-nobody-talks-about/

Seeing a trend here :roll:

At least MJR actually replies to his own threads

Edited by keepdreamin

No, it's not. It's simply him dropping off a video.

See here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261065-is-the-sega-32x-really-that-bad/

Only made the initial post, 3 pages later he hasn't made one single reply. Doesn't sound like starting a discussion he wants to be involved in.

And another. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262326-best-puzzle-games-nobody-talks-about/

Seeing a trend here :roll:

So the goal here is to be like MJR?

So the goal here is to be like MJR?

Ooh, and a sarcastic spammer too.

Nice try at a deflection. The point is you're spamming the forum with links to your YouTube channel under the thinly veiled ruse of starting a discussion

Discussions you can't even be bothered with to participate in, cause you're busy getting ready to drop the next video.

It's hilarious that this thread you started is the only one I remember seeing you actively participate in, and only because someone finally called you out on your shenanigans

What's a downport?

I Googled it and only came up with this:

The act of going down to the Village of Port Jefferson, NY and illegally drinking with Connecticut fake ID's.

If you want to see someone dropping videos, look no further than all the different threads NoSwearSpammerGamer has started on forums.atari.io.

I have to be honest. I only posted the way I did because I have done previously similar posts without anybody saying anything about it. As I said before this is a great forum and I do not want to jeopardize my membership. I have taken note of everyones input and suggestions and will share my videos within the guidelines that have been brought to my attention from now on.

• Like 1

I do try to keep up both with the new posts here on the forum and with my own posts as well. I've also talked to Albert about my contributions here on AtariAge several times and he appreciates what I bring to the site. That said, not everybody is a fan and I can respect that.

• Like 3

I do try to keep up both with the new posts here on the forum and with my own posts as well. I've also talked to Albert about my contributions here on AtariAge several times and he appreciates what I bring to the site. That said, not everybody is a fan and I can respect that.

No worries. It's unfortunate a false equivalence dragged you into this. You actively participate in your own threads, and with a subscriber base in the hundreds of thousands, it's not like you need AA to draw attention to your videos.

Someone is probably going to try and turn this around on me by saying "well, gee you gave the popular guy a pass, what do you have against the little guy" The difference is I don't feel your trolling for views when you post up a video here. That's completely different then someone desperately grabbing for views with a dump-and-run approach.

• Like 1

Full disclosure, I do get a decent amount of views from AtariAge (see below)...but it's only 3% of the total embedded videos, so it's not enough that I would want to piss people off. I just LOVE this site and the community here and it's cool to be a part of it

* Keep in mind, that is just "embedded videos" for a month. My total views were 2.4 million for last month.

atariageviews.jpg

Edited by Metal Jesus

Ok this has gone on long enough. The moderators will decide what is and isn't appropriate when it comes to videos (monetized or otherwise). If you think something it appropriate then send a report to the mods, that's what the button is there for. But please stop with the wannabe moderator thread policing. We're not hiring right now, and you're not qualified.

• Like 4

+1 to that little tidbit there MJR. That's some fair transparency I did not expect to see.

I've seen a few of your videos before as they got linked off of other stuff discussing a topic I was interested in and I slid through looking for some details, and those you do go into pretty well without coming off childish or amateurish in presentation which says a lot for the gaming video community. Most of it is just self back patting, self serving, sub trolling, primarily attention whoring on finds or thinking you're sharing what's ultimately old info.

I've not been registered all that long, but I've read (lurked) for a good stretch here off and on and I've never felt you were going into troll posting for subs as you genuinely make legit new posts or contribute to others conversations. Clearly with that image you're not drawing much of any traffic off this site in the 3% range so it does to me show a genuine interest in the people and purpose here as you're getting little viewer benefit from it.

Well, this wouldn't be considered a "downport" but I am very fond of Namco Museum for the N64. For me it was the first time that I had seen these games since early childhood. Many nostalgic memories of my brother-in-law and I smoking grass until our eyeballs bled and racking up points in Galaga. I later revisited the game on the GBA also.