IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Core Video Recommended Settings Thread

I was thinking it might be a good idea for people to recommend video settings per core to maximize screen space while keeping correct aspect ratios, etc..

1080p recommended core settings:

• NES/Famicom - 5X vertical, 6X horizontal
  • Sega Master System -
  • Game Gear -
  • Colecovision -
  • Gameboy - 7x vertical, 7x horizontal hits 1120x1008
  • Gameboy Color - 7x vertical, 7x horizontal hits 1120x1008
  • Atari 2600 -
  • Atari 7800 - 5x height, position 12, 4x width
  • Supervision -
  • Gamate -
  • Game King -
  • Channel F -
  • Arcadia 2001 -
  • Creativision -
  • Odyssey 2 -

720p recommended core settings:

• NES/Famicom -
  • Sega Master System -
  • Game Gear -
  • Colecovision -
  • Gameboy - 5x vertical, 5x horizantal hits 800x720
  • Gameboy Color - 5x vertical, 5x horizantal hits 800x720
  • Atari 2600 -
  • Atari 7800 -
  • Supervision -
  • Gamate -
  • Game King -
  • Channel F -
  • Arcadia 2001 -
  • Creativision -
  • Odyssey 2 -

The only one I know of:

NES Core 1080p 5X vertical, 6X horizontal

from 12:04 in the video:

Please add suggestions for cores and logic for the recommendations would be ideal.

This thread would not be for hardware issues or video cable issues which are handled in the NT Mini hardware thread. Thanks!

Edited by eebuckeye
  • Like 2

NES Core 1080p 5X vertical, 6X horizontal

Has anyone else noticed flicker on the track text in RC Pro AM over HDMI? Tried on a real Nintendo and the NT Mini into a CRT and this flicker does not appear. If its not just me an my telly then does anyone have some good setting to stop this, find it annoying. Tried all sorts but it won't go away.

Thanks

Edited by Radfoo

I believe the SMS resolution is 256x192. I think 7x horizontal and 5x vertical would give you a very close ratio.

Anyone have better choices for this or other cores?

7x by 5x is way too wide. The scaling ratio isn't supposed to match the resolution ratio. The scaling ratio defines how wide each pixel is. For NES you want to target around a 1.18 ratio and I assume SMS should be similar.

Just tried RC Pro AM on HDMI and I did not notice track flicker. Only flicker I noticed was sprite flicker sometimes which I think is expected,

Thanks for checking, maybe my TV then. Just to clarify is not the track itself but the writing that says "RC Pro AM" written across the track usually near the start line.

Thanks

Edited by Radfoo

7x by 5x is way too wide. The scaling ratio isn't supposed to match the resolution ratio. The scaling ratio defines how wide each pixel is. For NES you want to target around a 1.18 ratio and I assume SMS should be similar.

I agree with you... I did the calculations and tried it last night which seemed too wide.

I'm experiencing dimming issues on darker gameplay screens... I'm in game mode and my TV's eco solution is off-- it's almost as though the black depth is set to a VGA standard and not rec 709. Has anyone else here encountered this and is there a global setting on the nt mini that I'm missing that I should be looking for to prevent this? (maybe I need to double check my TV's firmware?)

Thanks all!

Thanks for checking, maybe my TV then. Just to clarify is not the track itself but the writing that says "RC Pro AM" written across the track usually near the start line.

Thanks

I do see that the text flickers some. I have not received my analog cables yet to compare but you might ask Kevtris in the other forum post to see what he says.

I saw the dimming while I was in some menus. I tried turning everything off on the tv but no change. I do not see it with another tv though. odd..

I'm experiencing dimming issues on darker gameplay screens... I'm in game mode and my TV's eco solution is off-- it's almost as though the black depth is set to a VGA standard and not rec 709. Has anyone else here encountered this and is there a global setting on the nt mini that I'm missing that I should be looking for to prevent this? (maybe I need to double check my TV's firmware?)

Thanks all!

I have the same issue with my newer Samsung LED I use in my game room. Read up on it and apparently even if you have the ECO stuff off and game mode on...etc. The TVs backlighting will still auto dim based on picture being displayed and ambient light in the room it detects. But..a workaround was found. All I had to do on my TV was change the input description for each input...to be PC.

Now...doing this means I lose the option to set game mode. But the dimming on and off was really an issue with many of the older consoles like the 7800 etc. Especially with my harmony cart as the screen would dim so much that it was even harder to read the menu information than normal. So again. not sure if you have such an option, but see if you can change the input type for the video sources and just try PC to see what happens.

• Like 2

I have the same issue with my newer Samsung LED[...] but see if you can change the input type for the video sources and just try PC to see what happens.

You had me at Samsung. You're right-- game mode is not enough, I also turned off the ambient lighting sensor bs in the picture->advanced menu and renamed my input to PC. It seems better now. I can't believe the silliness of that fix. Glad it's nothing to do with the nt mini. Ridiculous Samsung... When will they ever learn?

You had me at Samsung. You're right-- game mode is not enough, I also turned off the ambient lighting sensor bs in the picture->advanced menu and renamed my input to PC. It seems better now. I can't believe the silliness of that fix. Glad it's nothing to do with the nt mini. Ridiculous Samsung... When will they ever learn?

They aren't the only ones... My LG LED in the bedroom does the same thing if you use the Cinema mode on and a few others with no way to disable it. But in custom display mode, the backlight dimming doesn't occur. How if only I could figure out how to keep my damn Sony in the living room from doing this still...

But yes, I can't recall how I found it, but I basically did a google search for Samsung (TV Model) auto dimming and eventually found a post on some AV forums where someone had figured out you could stop this from happening if you just set the input name to PC for the inputs you don't want auto dimming on the backlight to occur. It has something to do with green initiatives and a trick they use to get their energy efficient ratings. My original Samsung gen 1 LCD didn't do this and I swear it still had the best picture of any TV I've owned including a superior 1080p picture over my Sony 4k.

• Like 1

I have the same issue with my newer Samsung LED I use in my game room. Read up on it and apparently even if you have the ECO stuff off and game mode on...etc. The TVs backlighting will still auto dim based on picture being displayed and ambient light in the room it detects. But..a workaround was found. All I had to do on my TV was change the input description for each input...to be PC.

Now...doing this means I lose the option to set game mode. But the dimming on and off was really an issue with many of the older consoles like the 7800 etc. Especially with my harmony cart as the screen would dim so much that it was even harder to read the menu information than normal. So again. not sure if you have such an option, but see if you can change the input type for the video sources and just try PC to see what happens.

Thanks a lot, auto-dimming was driving me insane! Never occurred to me ECO settings were broken.

One drawback however, same settings are retained across all PC mode devices. You may be using a higher Sharpness setting on connected PC but prefer more blurred look for retro gaming. It's manageable, but still, bad on Samsung.

Another tip for Samsung owners: Change RGB color range from Limited to Full 0-255 on supported devices like PC, PS4, PS3, PSTV, Xbox One, Xbox 360. HDMI Black Level should be set to Normal. Doesn't work for Wii U however - set HDMI Black Level to Low.

Edited by simbin

I have a 720P TV, that I run my Analogue NT Mini on. I know I am in the minority with the 720P TV, has any one had any luck finding a better setting for 720P. The My Life in Gaming video only touch base regarding the horizontal issue, they did not have a recommendation.

How do I edit the first post? It would be nice to list each core with settings for 1080p and 720p as recommendations occur. I do not see the edit option anymore.

If we can't edit I could start a new topic for 720P. That maybe best, I am sure at some point soon someone will also need settings for 4K as well.

I do see that the text flickers some. I have not received my analog cables yet to compare but you might ask Kevtris in the other forum post to see what he says.

Cool, thanks for checking, pleased its not just me. I'll have a bit more of a play with the settings but might post over on the other thread.