IGNORED

Switch ultimately outselling Wii?

Rev

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

According to this its 56% digital sales. (2015)

I wonder which future console will be the one that is download only.

Nooo! ;-)

I don't like it anymore than quite a few others here, but it is reality. Digitally leasing games to people willing to buy a lease on a game is a real thing. Stepping away from mid-large sized third parties that can easily afford to throw around physical media, you have a whole other world of those who jsut can't, and on another level those who can (that are big) but are too chicken to make a physical release in your region if any. That last bit, I Am Setsuna is physical in Japan, but nowhere else. For the big mass of it, you have a lot of them which make great games but no backing to take it beyond Steam, GoG, console/hh networks, or a private distribution model. They're not any lesser games, they're just not likely to have a physical release.

Sometimes you hit gold, and then it does go physical -- Terraria, Retro City Rampage DX, even Duck Tales Remastered which Capcom pussyfooted over originally.

Let's be real here within the first week the system was out there were more digital than physical releases, but in that realm of the entire picture you had a lot of variety really and what is there quite a lot of it really was worth the price of admission if you could hold it or not. MJ there has a good notable start of a list there with the non-on hand stuff which is wider as there were more Neo-Geo MVS titles, the one I noted I Am Setsuna, and there are others including even some re-releases like World of Goo. It doesn't have as of yet a 1vs1 fighter, or a FPS game of any sorts, but you have RPG, adventure, party game, racing, platformer, arcade action of many sorts, and more already as offerings. To call what is out there so far slim or weak for a 2 week old system is just playing (anti) favorites.

The Wii at launch had streaming Netflix, which was sort of equivalent to the PS2 having DVD when it launched. I think that really helped the Wii because then at least mom could use it for something after she got bored of Wii sports. The Wii had all sorts of fun apps when it launched, the Switch has a blank screen with a whole lot of nothing to do and no Netflix, not that that matters because everything streams Netflix there days.

The Wii didn't have streaming Netflix at launch. You had to wait until 2010 to use it with a disc and then later that year you could download the app from the Wii Shop Channel. The Wii launched in 2006. So, it was around 4 years later that all Wii users gained access to Netflix.

• Like 1

The Wii didn't have streaming Netflix at launch. You had to wait until 2010 to use it with a disc and then later that year you could download the app from the Wii Shop Channel. The Wii launched in 2006. So, it was around 4 years later that all Wii users gained access to Netflix.

Thank you for clarifying this. As I knew my launch Wii didn't have Netflix with it and I still have the original Netflix Wii disc that I sent off for through Netflix back when it was first made available. I don't recall which year, but it definitely wasn't available at launch. What sold the Wii plain and simple was the new controller method of motion controls that made it simple for all people to use and play games. In addition Wii Sports came packaged with it, and while it certainly wasn't my favorite game on the system by any means, it was the perfect pack in to demonstrate the multi player gaming aspect of playing games together that it was marketed for.

• Like 1

PS3 was the same way -- a boot disc was needed at first, when Netflix streaming was new and most of their business was in mailing discs back and forth. That seems like so long ago.

I also recall Microsoft having a patent or at least making a big deal about instant-start video streaming, that didn't need a lot of buffering before beginning a movie on Xbox 360. That was science fiction stuff then.

Xbone and Wii U came with the promise of TV and cable box integration. Seems like pretty much no one cared.

Did anyone use the media functions on the Vita? It's a better screen than 3DS, but a cheap Kindle can do much more non-game stuff.

• Like 2

WiiU had that integration called WiiTV. They scrapped it after a few years as no one used it and was pointless to maintain. I tried it once, it made that big WiiU tablet into an oversized LED line of sight universal remote. I didn't see a point when my cable remote already controlled my TV as well as my DVD anyway at that point so it was a stupid waste. They did add in some streaming TV channel services so you could remote your TV like those channel based apps for android and ios devices but it was a stupid waste given the size of the controller so I uninstalled/disabled the mess I believe(if that was allowed, I forget.)

I completely forgot the Wii U had TV remote functionality until last week when I accidentally hit the "TV" button on the gamepad. A remote popped up on the touchscreen and I was like, "Oh, that's right--this was actually a thing." I wonder how many people used it over the course of the system's life? I believe a couple of people here briefly mentioned trying it back around the launch, but I never heard anything of it again.

I completely forgot the Wii U had TV remote functionality until last week when I accidentally hit the "TV" button on the gamepad. A remote popped up on the touchscreen and I was like, "Oh, that's right--this was actually a thing." I wonder how many people used it over the course of the system's life? I believe a couple of people here briefly mentioned trying it back around the launch, but I never heard anything of it again.

We use it on a regular basis. It's nice for turning the TV on or off and changing inputs.

• Like 1

I dont count digital download games as release games. :P :P :P :P :P Sorry bro!

You could call the ground the sky, and the sky the ground. That doesn't change what they are. Also doesn't matter if you called digital releases, unicorn farts. They're making devs money, which is taxable income. Just as if you marched your happy butt into a store and bought a physical copy.

Sorry bro!

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Of course digital downloadable games are games. Of course they are income for the publisher/developer. I've never said otherwise.

My quote:

"I dont count digital download games as release games."

What I was saying is that I don't count them....as far as owning or collecting them. I'm referring to me...Not you guys that choose to download them.

• Like 1

Of course digital downloadable games are games. Of course they are income for the publisher/developer. I've never said otherwise.

My quote:

"I dont count digital download games as release games."

What I was saying is that I don't count them....as far as owning or collecting them. I'm referring to me...Not you guys that choose to download them.

f46751ff5e59d96916933944572d545e6f1652da50409768059f4b4bbbbc290e.jpg

• Like 2

I don't see this happening. The Switch will post great first month numbers, but then there will be a lull until the next big game arrives. The switch doesn't have a killer app like Wii bowling that will move tons of units to casual gamers.

Casual gamers aren't going to buy into the Switch in the first place. Casuals moved on as fast as they showed up with the Wii. The Wii U showed this.

I do think the reason it's posting great first month numbers however is because there was no pack-in game. If someone wants to do something with the Switch they bought, they have to buy something. I'd say launching with a brand new Zelda on the front lines is probably what's moving things right now. You're right that what happens next is CRITICAL however. Nintendo can't afford a lull to happen in the first year like with the Wii U, so we're going to see how that plays out over the summer.

Casual gamers aren't going to buy into the Switch in the first place. Casuals moved on as fast as they showed up with the Wii. The Wii U showed this.

I do think the reason it's posting great first month numbers however is because there was no pack-in game. If someone wants to do something with the Switch they bought, they have to buy something. I'd say launching with a brand new Zelda on the front lines is probably what's moving things right now. You're right that what happens next is CRITICAL however. Nintendo can't afford a lull to happen in the first year like with the Wii U, so we're going to see how that plays out over the summer.

Along with a lot of new games. (Physical and digital) I'd like to see at least Netflix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I DOUBT it. I mean, that would be cool, but the Wii was a freak of nature console for Nintendo.

Then again, if you start getting some good third party games (like ES games or GTA, or hell, even a not chopped down shitty version of COD) it could really do well.

Seriously, I'll usually get a console for the first party IP's and Nintendo's are up there. What has been stopping most people from having a Nintendo and still being a one console home is often the third party games, or for the last couple of generations of nintendo, the lack there of.

Interesting. My take is that short term share spikes are a poor performance indicator for an entire products market life cycle. It is a good "indicator" though, and at the very least the console should fare better than the Wii U. Given todays fractalized gaming market, and the prevalence of smart phones and smart devices (tv's mainly) I still don't see the switch selling more than GameCube/n64 numbers. I think that could be enough for Nintendo to call it a success frankly.

Interesting. My take is that short term share spikes are a poor performance indicator for an entire products market life cycle. It is a good "indicator" though, and at the very least the console should fare better than the Wii U. Given todays fractalized gaming market, and the prevalence of smart phones and smart devices (tv's mainly) I still don't see the switch selling more than GameCube/n64 numbers. I think that could be enough for Nintendo to call it a success frankly.

It is also a handheld console as well as a home console. So, on the handheld console side of things, if it doesn't sell more than the GameCube or Nintendo 64 then it would be the worst selling handheld console Nintendo ever sold. More specifically, if it doesn't sell more than the Super NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube, or Wii U then it would be the worst handheld console Nintendo ever sold. Or even more specifically, if it sells less than 54.27 million units(Game Boy Color sales) then it would be the worst handheld console Nintendo ever sold.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think the odds are in its favor of it not becoming the worst handheld console Nintendo ever sells or at least not the worst by much because if Nintendo can design a handheld console so well that all they have to do is claim that it is a Wii U successor/home console and people believe it then it is clearly the most advanced handheld console they ever made. And I don't mean that in the obvious sense that since it is their most modern handheld console that it is obviously the most advanced. I mean that in the sense that if they released a dock for any of their past handheld consoles and said,"This is a home console." no one would have believed it. But that isn't the case with the Switch. They clearly show us what is undeniably a handheld console but all they have to do to convince us that our senses are lying to us is dock it, show us BOTW, and say,"See? This is a home console." I mean, Mike Kennedy had to use the smoke and mirrors of hiding random crap in Jaguar shells to try to convince us he had a home console but not Nintendo. They show their handheld console without hiding it at all and people still see a home console. There is something magical about that. It is the kind of marketing magic that can give them good home console sales without even releasing a home console.

• Like 1

I think it's quite easy to say it will surpass GC numbers, and probably even N64 numbers also.