IGNORED

So I Got Lost In the Forest...

So little is known about the brain it is not possible for doctors to say what permanent affects drugs (and that includes alcohol) has on the brain. They have a pretty good idea what alcohol abuse does to other organs. Most agree that one to three drinks per day of alcohol is considered safe and even beneficial.

• Like 1

a0jukz.jpg

kaff28.jpg

2m4ot4m.jpg

xmk8zc.jpg

2afwq6d.jpg

:D Marijuana is a part of this gaming culture too whether you like it or not! Fact is smoking pot is better for your health than drinking. If you don't like smoking,than try eating it.

I find a flatout alcoholic drunk, who cannot control their senses, to be more childish than a responsible adult that smokes a harmless herb on occasion.

Anyways also Double Dragon arcade rules on weed heehee,just saying.

• Like 3

Didn't they claim radiation was good for the skin and put it in women's cosmetics?

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/glowing-complexion.php

Then you had the Radium Girls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

So maybe when scientists learn how the brain works, the same thing will happen with pot and alcohol.

One huge difference in this case is the fact some of the heavier users of the radiation laced products were getting sick and dying, showing obviously adverse effects of these new and untested remedies within their own lifetimes. We have historic records of people and entire societies using weed going back over ten thousand years. While any substance or even activity can be overdone, causing detriment, it seems weed is one of the more harmless substances humanity has used since the dawn of civilization. The funny thing is weed has been hailed as a positive, healing thing for countless generations, and the time it has been so widely banned and ridiculed the most is the last couple generations. It lines up with sex being a taboo subject in the last couple generations as well, while many past societies did not share such stigmas. People seem to go through phases on what is acceptable. Weed has been not only acceptable, but praised for the majority of human history- minus today. Society usually evens out when it comes to social norms and what not. It's just there are always a few vocal/powerful people who crop up now and again who try to "reinvent the wheel" when it comes to structuring a society, going strongly against the current, trying to convince the river it should flow in another direction. Dams can be built, but they won't change the "desire" the water has to continue its natural flow.

Didn't they claim radiation was good for the skin and put it in women's cosmetics?

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/glowing-complexion.php

Then you had the Radium Girls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

So maybe when scientists learn how the brain works, the same thing will happen with pot and alcohol.

There was even the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Laboratory. The same manufacturer for model trains. And yes, it did come with samples of uranium ore.

il_570xN.545777672_b8ck.jpg

• Like 3

Where do you see "we're so bad and edgy?" I simply see some people relating personal experiences in a light-hearted fashion. So what? I could just as easily express curiosity to a teetotaler, asking why they struggle so much to contain their impulse to be condescending and sanctimonious over things that they are perfectly free to abstain from if they like.

Cue the turn to argumentum ad absurdum - "I just don't see why it's necessary to funnel gallons of vodka and puke all over oneself to enjoy videogames" or "Unless you're sad with your life you should be able to enjoy games just fine without smoking a pillowcase full of hash" as if these scenarios remotely resemble what anybody is talking about.

I really am trying my best to avoid being condescending, so I apologize if I'm coming across as such. I honestly don't care for the most part how other people spend their time- if you're not driving, drink away! If I can't smell it, smoke all the weed! I'm just genuinely asking, for the people willing to share, why they like it. I don't know anyone who does any drugs (impressive considering it's been legal here for awhile). Wondering how the other side lives, is all.

I think the 'edgy' thing is fueled by two sources- the kind of media I see for it online, and court TV. They watch a lot of Judge Judy & such at work, and I've lost track of how many people have playfully laughed/smirked about how 'they got drunk/stoned' and it led to the situation at hand. Most of the online material I see is championing how much of whatever substance is being consumed, like it's a contest. I just can't shake the image of a bunch of people competing over who's the most committed to their drug of choice. Especially since said media often has a side of anti-responsibility. You know the stereotype in comedy movies, the unemployed stoner friend who tries to tell the lead to skip work & smoke a bowl with him instead? I see that a lot.

But memes, movies, & trash TV do not reality make. I think that's what I'm asking for in the end- please give me a reality check so when I meet people at cons & gamestores talking about their favorite kind of hash, I'm not standing around dumbstruck and confused as to why you'd want to smoke at all.

• Like 2

Mmm.. Well.. I never understood the glorification of intoxication, with whatever substance. All kinds of great rewarding fun can be had without alcohol and pot.

It has been shown time and time again that as little 1 will begin degrading your performance. Crap.. 1 shot of vodka is plenty for me. 1 Mike's is also quite enough too.

So little is known about the brain it is not possible for doctors to say what permanent affects drugs (and that includes alcohol) has on the brain. They have a pretty good idea what alcohol abuse does to other organs. Most agree that one to three drinks per day of alcohol is considered safe and even beneficial.

They can detect the decrease of brain activity in regions of the brain to see how much heavy drug use and drinking affects the brain. So far, neuroscientists have determined that the most harmful drugs for the brain are boxing and gridiron football unless played through video games on weed.

• Like 4

From what I heard, when Sam Kinison was a kid he had a very bad head injury that messed his brain up. It changed his whole personality to the point he was like a different person. It's like that version of him died. Scary stuff man.

My wife's cousin got in a bicycle accident when he was 12 that gave him brain damage. He has these metal pieces in his skull now from them fixing it that you can feel through the skin. I didn't know him then but they say his personality is a different person. They say he was gifted and well behaved but now he cusses like a sailor and his intelligence has lowered to average intelligence. So, if you didn't know about it you wouldn't be able to figure out that he has brain damage because he didn't go from average to retarded but genius to average. Anyway, I have asked him what it feels like. He says that it kind of feels like he was born after the accident and the memories he has before it are unclear kind of like a dream. To put that another way, to him it feels like he was dreaming for 12 years and then woke up for the first time after the accident. I don't know who he was but I prefer him this way.

Edit: He also plays video games on weed.

• Like 3

One huge difference in this case is the fact some of the heavier users of the radiation laced products were getting sick and dying, showing obviously adverse effects of these new and untested remedies within their own lifetimes. We have historic records of people and entire societies using weed going back over ten thousand years. While any substance or even activity can be overdone, causing detriment, it seems weed is one of the more harmless substances humanity has used since the dawn of civilization.

Exactly. If the dangers were anywhere near the level that the war-on-drugs bullshit artists would have us believe, then I think the wreckage would be self-evident by now, without the need to say "well, the results of our study are in... if you ignore these outliers, tilt the page just so, apply such-and-such arbitrary boundary conditions, and squint really hard, it is blatantly obvious that marijuana use leads directly to brain rot and an inability to tie one's shoes in adulthood."

I think that's what I'm asking for in the end- please give me a reality check so when I meet people at cons & gamestores talking about their favorite kind of hash, I'm not standing around dumbstruck and confused as to why you'd want to smoke at all.

You probably never will understand it, and that's OK. To be sure, abstaining from it is certainly not the worst decision you can make in life. But on the other hand, people do it for all kinds of reasons, and you should try to understand that many of those reasons are benign. In extreme cases they might even be beneficial--for example, if somebody struggles with anxiety and finds that pot helps them mellow out, then that is a million times better than going down the rabbit hole of prescription meds.

Like most things from fast food to gambling to World of Warcraft to booze, weed can lead some people to develop problematic habits that start to objectively harm other important areas of their life or health. But I reckon you'd be dumbfounded to learn just how many different people you've met in your life who smoke pot "on the down low"--over the course of decades, even--yet somehow still manage to hold things together just fine with family, friends, career, and general health. Such folks aren't the ones leaving an impression on your brain, because their association with pot is invisible to you. It's all the goofy walking stereotypes you've encountered that fuel and support the lasting impression.

Mmm.. Well.. I never understood the glorification of intoxication, with whatever substance.

I agree with this completely. It's one thing to find simple pleasure in a drink or a puff, but to tout it as some kind of "achievement" is the very definition of juvenile and asinine.

I have 5 spinal fusions with rods and screws, bone taken out of my hip and a bullet lodged in my spine along with nerve damage on my right side. The drug companies want to charge me $1000 a month to poison me with little in the way of relief except to their balance sheets. I wasn't a big pot smoker until the drugs prescribed to me nearly killed me 8 years ago, literally. Now my current Dr. wishes he could prescribe weed and has no qualms about recommending it as my therapy once it becomes legal.

So to put things in a nutshell, the opioid pharmacuetical industry​ can go fuck itself! Mother Nature, thanks for having my back! (No pun intended).

b876e3f69e471f31fe4801f2cf14b841.jpg

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

• Like 9

Also there is a very large difference between drinking a beer or two sometimes, or partaking of a little "indulgence", and being fall down drunk 24/7. It is the latter which tends to kill people...

I like a beer or two and my friend who is a doctor said one drink a day is beneficial, namely because it takes off a layer (however small or microscopic) of the fat and cholesterol, etc. that tend to clog arteries (leading to heart attacks and strokes).

I also enjoy a slight buzz and I taste the grains, the malt, and hops when I drink beer...I'm very aware of the taste, the foretaste and the aftertaste, and the "finish"...This is quite different from my cousin (May he R.I.P.), who liked to drink an 18 pack a night, and died at age 39...

One of my favorite sayings is "All things in Moderation..."

• Like 3

I hate that in some of my hobbies that open conversation of drug use is considered an acceptable topic. I'm not a fan.

Lighten up, Francis. Weed helped fuel the creative folks in the early days of Atari. It's video game history, they were blazin at work. Where do you think gameplay concepts for a lot of 2600 games came from? sober minds? :lolblue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YGwyHwOBgo

• Like 3

Funny I used to be like alot of people here,like totally against weed. Until one day a friend of mine offered me a joint. At first I was very skeptical about it,thinking no, drugs equals bad,but for some reason most likely out of boredom, I decided oh well I'll try it and see how it feels since the facts are there are much more dangerous substances out there anyways.

I'll never forget the first time I got high lol. We skipped class and smoked it at some park during lunch,and I remember thinking "whoa everything seems suddenly cartoony feeling".. Everything seemed very funny and I couldn't stop from laughing uncontrollably. Went home put some music on,felt very good and at peace... Looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. So much better than drinking by far. The thing I love about weed also is that it is not addictive. Like today I am completely sober and still feeling really good.

Anyways I agree with the ageist and rather sexist comments towards Brittany Spears from an earlier poster as being very lame. +1 for the weed but definitely -1 on the chauvinism. I think that's one thing the gaming community can do without.

• Like 3