IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's Contest of Doom

Pitfall Harry

...  How is an egg like a golden crown?

Ben

Brainstorming...

1. IIRC, It takes a hen about 23 hours to form an egg from start to the time she lays it.

2. Eggs and crowns both are tapered at one end.

3. Calcium carbonate is present in egg shells as well as human teeth and bones.

4. Eggs have also been called a sealed box with a golden treasure inside. Crown could also be a treasure...

5. An "Egghead" could wear a "Crown of Achievenment". ;)

6. Some animals use an "egg tooth" to crack through the shell when they first hatch.

7. There's the story about the goose that laid the golden egg. Also, Humpty Dumpty...

8. Is it 5000 points for a gold bar in Pitfall? ( 23:00 hours = 2 + 3 = 5 )

9. 11 O'clock on a clock face with the minute hand and second hand forms an acute angle( knee ). The only "bent" words I found in the puzzle were right angles or obtuse angles. Hmmm.

10. Human couples each contribute 23 chromosomes to their offspring.

11. Some consider the golden years to start at age 50( 23 = 2 + 3 = 5 )

12. "Plaque Attack" involves teeth.

13. Bacteria can get on teeth as well as work itself inside an egg if the protective "bloom" layer of the shell is washed away. Oil could be used to "polish" a golden crown- an egg can be dipped in mineral oil to restore the "bloom" and keep bacteria out.

14. A crown is worn on the head or "noggin". Some people like to drink "egg nog". ;)

That's all for now. :ponder:

P.S. Love the comics, especially E.T.'s cameo! :D I think the player from "Gateway To Aphsai" should make an appearence.( though he wasn't in a 2600 game. :( )

Thanks for the compliments! The comics are fun to do. I hope Ben doesn't mind me posting them in the middle of his contest too much.

More brainstorming:

23 - there are 23 gold letters. (Unless I miscounted in my sleep-deprived mental state.) I assume this means we're to find "gold" words, next.

Eggs are white, surrounding a yellow center.

Gold crowns (on lower teeth) are yellow, on top of white. Or vise-versa if on the top row of teeth.

I would think there is another clue to this buried somewhere in the silver letters (or words associated with them), but I have yet to find it. Perhaps that will lead to the clue to find the gold words.

"The golden touch" - the golden what are touching what? Other words? (Or does it refer to King Midas?)

The goose that laid the golden egg, is another fairy tale. Is that the connection?

Is the egg fried, boiled or scrambled?

Sorry. I'm a bit hungry.

Man... I could go for some bacon and eggs right now.

OK, since I am making no headway and am getting to the point where I'd rather just see this thing solved than necessarily win it myself, I'll offer up some of what I've noted:

The words that skip alternate letters each have a silver letter in them, and the silver letters always occur either at the beginning, end, or "knee" of the words.

I have not been able to decipher an anagram from either the silver letters or the beginning/ending/knee letters of this second set of words.

I haven't figured out any use for the gold letters, although they still are not used in any words I have found.

I have more that I could share at this point, but I do still have some desire to try to win this thing, so I'm going to stop here.

I'm to the same point you are.

I think Keir is right about the gold letters anagram:

The gold letters anagram to "There is more than one way to". Combine that with the knee anagram and I think you'll understand Ben's last clue.

So that's one use for them, but I'm certain there must be another.

Other observations: "The White Letters Are Everywhere" - this indicates to me that the white letters will be a part of this puzzle at every stage, so they must be included to some degree.

When skipping letters, one of the four puzzle "halves" shows no green letters at all. I don't know the significance of this, but there must be one.

There are a number of significant Pitfall-related words that still have not been found. But I am still at a loss as to how to find them. (Read the online manuals - you'll see them.)

If you look at the puzzle and ignore letters that have been used so far, there are several areas in the puzzle that haven't even been touched yet. I believe at least some of the letters still to be found have to be in those areas.

That's all I'll say for right now. Although I already posted this and this.

The only found word I'm uncertain of at this point is still "lion". It could also be "tonic", but I've found no Pitfall reference to that. I'm not 100% sure on "rope" or "basket" either, but I can find no alternates for them.

When skipping letters, one of the four puzzle "halves" shows no green letters at all. I don't know the significance of this, but there must be one.

Actually, 2 of the 4 skipped-letter embedded matrices do not have green letters... but that's just because the green letters skip every other line. That was done so they'd mesh together when you fold the puzzle in half.

I'm not 100% sure on "rope" or "basket" either, but I can find no alternates for them.

Both of these are from Pitfall II Level 2... but you've only got part of one of them.

Right now I'm working on Keir's tip about "THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO..."

I've tried the various other ways though, without finding anything that really makes sense.

I'm working with a subset consisting only of the unused letters, and I have each color in a separate layer in Photoshop so I can turn them on and off at will. I've duplicated the layers and flipped, rotated, twisted and turned them in almost every conceivable permutation.

I've also tried completing the sentence fragment above not only with "FOLD IT IN HALF" but "SKIP ALTERNATE LETTERS" as well. That has led to some interesting observations but nothing that really clicks. (And that's the way this stuff works... once you've got it figured out it just CLICKS.)

I'm also still working (to no avail, unfortunately) with my one other possibility which I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet, so I'll just keep that to myself for now. :wink:

If you look at the puzzle and ignore letters that have been used so far, there are several areas in the puzzle that haven't even been touched yet. I believe at least some of the letters still to be found have to be in those areas.

One thing to consider here... the ultimate goal is actually to find a "secret question" embedded in the puzzle. I'm thinking there is probably not a third level to the word search.

I've been spending most of my puzzle-related time over the past 3 days working on ways to determine the sequence in which the remaining letters are encoded to form the "secret question," but now I am starting to realize that it may not be embedded in such a straightforward way. But what other way might it be?

I'll give one hint to what the "other" thing I'm working on is... it's another way of distinguishing a particular subset of letters in the puzzle (similar to the color-coding Ben has used) using information that is NOT in the puzzle (although it IS readily available to those who seek it out). The thing that makes me think I'm on the right track here is that several elements of the clues Ben has given so far are consistent with this approach, including, but not limited to:

1. the matrix

2. folding in half

3. the number 23

:ponder:

But wait, where's Rhindle the Red? ;)

If you meant me, I've got a show opening on Friday, plastering and painting to do before guests arrive on Saturday and no intention of going insane before then.

I gave up on the first day. :D

Just stopped in to this thread to see how things were going. The cartoons are great!

I just (finally!) managed to get the green letter clue! :)

:idea: Try to combine one clue with the symmetry of the green letter pattern.

Unfortunately it's nothing new at all. :sad:

At least now I know not to look there any further (well, unless "there is more"...). ;)

Actually, 2 of the 4 skipped-letter embedded matrices do not have green letters...

D'oh. Yeah, of course you're right.

Both of these are from Pitfall II Level 2... but you've only got part of one of them.

Thanks - I have it now. Unfortunately, the info I've found on that second level is pretty vague about what the various items are. I have neither a cartridge or ROM to check it out for myself, so I hope there isn't anything else that's critical to the puzzle in it.

And then, there was...

Carl Wonders - No. 11

carl_11.gif

Thanks - I have it now. Unfortunately, the info I've found on that second level is pretty vague about what the various items are. I have neither a cartridge or ROM to check it out for myself, so I hope there isn't anything else that's critical to the puzzle in it.

:idea: Just download Atari800Win and the Pitfall II 5200 ROM (both are very easy to locate on the web).

Thanks to savestates and Ben's maps you can play through the whole game in les than 2 hours.

Guessing is allowed.  If you guess incorrectly, simply return to the healing cross you touched last.  

Will I loose points then? :)

If not, here is my first guess:

Q: What Score Is Possible In Pitfall Adventurers Edition Map?

A: 300,000!

If yes, ignore that post! :D

Hmmm... good guess. I'm not sure how many points you get for getting the Swami, the rope, the basket, etc. but it might work.

However, this would mean that Ben's "clues" in the original posting are in fact not clues at all but the real puzzle (or at least as much or more of it than the word search is).

Ah... Ben jumped on it faster than I did!

I guess I better hurry if I want to win this thing. But I think I've gotten way off track over the past few days trying all sorts of permutations of the unused letters in the matrix, and trying to line them up with the gold bars in the Pitfall II Level 2 map. (There... I said it.) None of that has gotten me anywhere.

Archived