IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's Contest of Doom

Pitfall Harry

So are you using a program you have written to find the words?

Yup, I am cheating. :D

I think I find words that Ben never meant to be there (e.g. another RAMPAGE: starting at (x,y) (21,1), moving on with dx = 1 and dy = 5 until the A and then just go the right) :)

BTW: Anna counted 48 game titles. I count 47 Activision games, so only one is missing. But which one? :?

Did you guys do anything with the yellow letters? I thought that the gold bars clue had something to do with them and came up with an anagram that I thought was related to the first clues.

Well, here's what I found:

I took all the yellow letters and removed the duplicates, giving me 12 letters in total. I then did an anagram of that... and it seemed to fit with one of the other clues, for which I came up with:

"Adventurers may want portable"

Probably way off... but there is that word looking you right in the face in the middle of the matrix. I can't for the life of me figure out how it fits... but then again I haven't even got as far as Thomas and Room34 yet... my time is running out... I'm sure by the time I get back it will be over.

...that word looking you right in the face in the middle of the matrix...

:?

I have no idea what word you're talking about!

Don't assume I'm way ahead of you. Ben's puzzles tend to have many possible paths to the solution and I might be off on a dead-end tangent.

I have no idea what word you're talking about!

FORGE?

Yep. Wouldn't any adventurer want a portable forge? Of course, Pitfall Harry has no need for weapons.

The yellow letters anagramed to: "A SMITHERY OWN" or "A SMITH OWNER"

It's so easy to get lost on some insignificant detail with these puzzles.

Anna counted 48 game titles. I count 47 Activision games, so only one is missing. But which one? :?

I'm guessing you're missing either Ghostbusters II (which was released by Salu, not Activision) or Fighter Pilot (which is the only one not released in North America).

Did you guys do anything with the yellow letters?

I was able to anagram the yellow letters, but it only made half a sentence. It seems to fit with the knee anagram but I don't know if that's right. It helped though. :D

Man, I'm totally into this puzzle again, but now I have to go away for the weekend! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH! I might get a chance to work on it tonight (if I don't sleep) but I have a feeling when I get back it will all be over. Good luck people!

I counted the gold bars on the adventurer's level, and it's either 45 or 46.  (I lost count. :dunce: )

Anyway, at 5000 points each that would be 225,000 or 230,000.

If I counted correct then there are 45 gold bars. But I assume (since I never had the chance to play that level) that you gain points for other things (e.g the ring) too.

BTW: I still don't get where the 99,000 clue comes from.

I designed the puzzle with OINK starting with the O in the 3rd row. All other occurrances are unexpected coincidence.

So I guess the second EXPLORER variation is another "unexpected coincidence", right?

I'll leave that as a possibility for you to explore on your own.

Ben

I'm guessing you're missing either Ghostbusters II (which was released by Salu, not Activision) or Fighter Pilot (which is the only one not released in North America).

I did a search in the AA rarity guide on Activision games from all regions, and it came out with 47 distinct titles, including Fighter Pilot and Ghostbusters II, as well as Kabobber and Thwocker, but NOT including unknown games 1 and 2.

(Incidentally, did you check out one of the late issues of Activisions in the new Magazines section of the site? The Rumors box hints at a game that could only have been Kabobber!)

As I posted a few pages ago, I found these:

Barnstorming

Beamrider

Boxing

Bridge

Checkers

Chopper Command

Commando

Cosmic Commuter

Crackpots

Decathlon

Dolphin

Double Dragon

Dragster

Enduro

Fighter Pilot

Fishing Derby

Freeway

Frostbite

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters II

Grand Prix

H.E.R.O.

Ice Hockey

Kabobber

Kaboom!

Keystone Kapers

Kung Fu Master

Laser Blast

Megamania

Oink!

Pitfall!

Pitfall II

Plaque Attack

Pressure Cooker

Private Eye

Rampage

River Raid

River Raid II

Robot Tank

Seaquest

Skiing

Sky Jinks

Space Shuttle

Spider Fighter

Stampede

Starmaster

Tennis

Thwocker

48 games. Not including the extra "Hero" and "Oinks". Actually, I only found the one "Oink" - but since it's turned out to be the "correct" one, I stopped looking. (I'm assuming the straight "Hero" is the correct one, or there'd be thirteen titles with knees.)

Ghostbusters II was developed by Activision. Fighter Pilot was an overseas release (unless you're already overseas - in which case it was domestic).

Here are my clue guesses (since others have spilled theirs):

The golden touch - Adventurers map wins possibly

Silver knee pads - Pitfall US edition shows it

The only other thing I've found out, is that "The Golden Touch" unscrambles to "Don't hog the clue". Kinda cool, but probably not helpful.

I found an error in my puzzle today, and I've already edited the 30x30 letter matrix (in the initial post of this thread) to correct the problem. The change I had to make was absolutely necessary in order to make the ultimate solution to the puzzle possible.

I know. Encountering an error this late in the game -- after untold hours have been spent working towards the solution -- can be very frustrating. You're not alone. I am as frustrated and embarrassed by it as any of you.

There may be good news yet. Judging from the posts to this thread so far, I have a high degree of confidence that I found and corrected the error before any of you have progressed far enough towards the ultimate solution to this puzzle to have been adversely affected by it. That is, I believe the error is subtle enough and has been fixed soon enough that it never had a chance to waste anyone's time.

What has been changed:

The A which appears in the 19th row and in the 19th column of the word search matrix used to be green. I have changed its color to silver. This is the same A which you will find in KABOBBER (diagonally).

The A which appears in the 24th row and in the 21st column used to be silver. I have changed its color to white. This is the same A which you will find in RIVERRAID (horizontally).

To all who are working with local copies of the word search puzzle, please go back to the top of this thread and grab a copy of the corrected puzzle.

Again, I apologize for the oversight.

Ben

Archived