IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's Contest of Doom

Pitfall Harry

I figured that part out, too. Hence, the logs and rats I found are pretty much meaningless. Probably. Maybe. Probably.

Part of the problem is - I don't know what I'm supposed to know, in order to solve this thing. Obviously, you have to know about Activision, Pitfall and Pitfall II (and not just the 2600 versions, either), but how far does that extend? To the arcade version? And how much of the required information is readily available to look up?

Besides all that... I'm running out of ideas for...

Carl Wonders - No. 7

carl_7.gif

But doing them gives me a break from obsessing over the puzzle. ;)

I figured that part out, too. Hence, the logs and rats I found are pretty much meaningless. Probably. Maybe. Probably.

Most likely! :)

Part of the problem is - I don't know what I'm supposed to know, in order to solve this thing. Obviously, you have to know about Activision, Pitfall and Pitfall II (and not just the 2600 versions, either), but how far does that extend? To the arcade version? And how much of the required information is readily available to look up?

I am quite sure you need to know about the secret 2nd level of Pitfall II (I just managed to get there, thanks to save states!). I tried to find some info about it by googleing, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

I am quite sure you need to know about the secret 2nd level of Pitfall II

I hope not. If that is the case, then I may call it quits. I've never even played that version of Pitfall before.

I'll keep toying with the puzzle a bit longer, but I think I'll wait for another clue or two.

I am quite sure you need to know about the secret 2nd level of Pitfall II

I hope not. If that is the case, then I may call it quits. I've never even played that version of Pitfall before.

I'll keep toying with the puzzle a bit longer, but I think I'll wait for another clue or two.

Don't give up. All of the information you need is most likely available right here on this site...

Regarding the gold letters:

I mentioned before that I thought I had found an anagram for them, and Ben's latest clue makes me think my conclusions were correct.

The gold letters anagram to "There is more than one way to". Combine that with the knee anagram and I think you'll understand Ben's last clue.

The gold letters anagram to "There is more than one way to". Combine that with the knee anagram and I think you'll understand Ben's last clue.

I think I already had it, although without knowing the gold anagram solution. What I ended up finding is here.

If there are more than four ways, I'm stumped. Of course... I'm stumped anyway right now. I've been looking at anagrams so much, my bairn is fired.

I think judging by where some people are in solving the puzzle it may be possible to get to where the green letters are intended to take you without actually figuring out the green letters themselves...

Frankly, right now I am just trying to find ways to amuse myself further with this thing because I'm totally stuck! :x

OK, well then I am right that you can get to where the green letters are intended to take you without actually getting the green letters themselves (if that makes sense).

I have a feeling that your approach of using your program to find the words in the puzzle may be what has made it work this way for you.

OK... I still have a chance. The problem is just that so far I haven't been able to make my very strong hunch work with what's actually in the puzzle.

:x

Harry and Anna worked the puzzle all that day and late into the night. Try as they might, they were unable

to crack it. All the while the mystic remained quiet. Finally, at precisely one hour to midnight, the mystic

broke his silence. He offered the following riddle:

How is an egg like a golden crown?

Ben

Harry was at his wit's end. The mystic's latest riddle made no sense at all, and his brain was much

too fried already to give it any serious thought. Instead, he and Anna left the mystic to his meditations,

retired to the living room and snapped on the TV. "Ah," said Harry. "It's an old Batman episode. Just

the thing to veg out on."

Robin: Holy chicken coronation, Batman! Looks like the Riddler sure has scrambeld our eggs this time!

Batman: Perhaps not, Robin. You see, the Riddler left his latest clue at precisely one hour to midnight.

Robin: That's right, Batman! An 11th hour clue!

Batman: Not quite, old chum. More like a twenty-third hour clue. Recall, if you will, the Riddler's latest caper.

Robin: You mean the one where, after hours, he and Egghead broke into the Zachy Farms Poultry Museum?

Batman: Good, Robin. The break-in occurred at precisely 11 O'clock, or 2300 hours to an ex-military man

like the Riddler.

Robin: The world's largest collection of gold-encrusted Faberge eggs were stolen... 23 in all! Batman, I think

you're on to something!

Batman: Hmm... Golden eggs made exclusively for the crown heads of Europe. You don't suppose...

Robin: Of course! King Tut is in on this too!

Batman: Time to bone up on your Geography, Boy Wonder. Egypt is part of Africa.

Robin: Sorry, Batman.

Robin (after a lengthy, head-down pause): I thought there were 24 Faberge eggs?

Batman: There were at one time, Robin. The 24th egg was purchased at private auction last year by millionaire

philantropist, Charles 'Toothy' Chickenworth. The nickname, apparently, comes from the gold crown on his front tooth, which

shows quite prominently in press photographs.

Robin: What's a Chickenworth?

Batman: There's no time for that now, Robin. To the Bat Poles!

Ben

Archived