IGNORED

Mint condition IBM PC 5170 on ebay

I saw this video on youtube. apparently there is a guy on ebay that has a warehouse with these mint computers and is selling them on ebay. i wish i had $500 to buy one. I never had one but I used them alot in school

[YoutubeT]

[/YoutubeT] Edited by jim1174

Man, that's pretty cool. It's amazing what all is still sitting out there waiting to be found.

LOL. I just came across a 3rd-party case that is styled just like a IBM AT. Oddly enough, it was set up with a 5150-style motherboard rocking an 8088 CPU.

I hope Clint follows up on his 5170 build b/c I am really interested to see what he does with it. If I had the time, money, space, know-how and time and money I'd be so tempted to pick one of these up. Our family made do with a 286 for a long time -- we bought a used 486 in 1997 to replace it. I'd be really curious to know what a well setup 286 could pull off and what classic PC games it could play.

I had one, as well as a few other IBM models over the years. Loved them. Very well built machines. The only reason I don;t have one now is due to space constraints. Looking at LGR's videos you have to wonder what type of living quarters he has to be able to store all of this stuff. Kudos to him. One day when I have the space I'll probably do the same thing. I actually kind of do already (a few Amigas, other commodore machines, Apple machines) but the difference is that I am *always* fighting for space...ugh.

I did pick up a classic IBM PC when my school was getting rid of them. I too thought it would be fun to see what it could do.

It ended up not being much fun at all. Anything it could do, my modern PC could do better. The IBM just did everything slowly. Painfully slowly. Plus it was large and took up alot of space.

The build quality was great though-- built like a tank, great keyboard.

Looking at LGR's videos you have to wonder what type of living quarters he has to be able to store all of this stuff.

He actually did a video on his new house when he last moved, which of course I can't find right now. (Maybe he took it down?) He used to have all his stuff in a tiny little room where it was obvious he was just cramming games, systems and filming equipment into every corner he could, and all the way up to the ceiling. In his new house he has a bigger room for it and I feel like he uses more than one location for filming, since some of his videos just have plain walls in the background and he also seems to have a proper "office" now where he shoots his modern PC stuff. I have no idea if he's by himself or if he's got any family in the house with him, though; that's always something I have to work around when I shoot videos.

I wish I could have a dedicated game room like he and others like him have, though. Metal Jesus is the same.