IGNORED

3DO RGB Mod - - unavailable?

I recently picked up a 3DO in a trade, and I was hoping to get it modified for RGB output.

From what I can find online, the only commercial kits were sold by otakus-store, but it appears that their site is long gone.

Is anyone still making RGB mods for the 3DO? If so, where can I purchase one?

Bonus question: are there any modders willing to install this mod and the USB mod to a Japanese FZ-10?

Thanks for any answers that y'all can give.

• 1 month later...

I have one of the old Otaku mods in my FZ-10 (along with Mnemo's USB optical drive replacement). I would suggest waiting until a better solution is found versus trying to track down one of the Otaku boards. The Otaku RGB mod tends to output either washed out or dark video. Sadly, it's just not a great solution.

One day I hope the 3DO gets its due and people start coming up with mods and stuff for the masses. I just haven't found a good solution to play one on any one of my three HDTVs. A framemeister is just out of the question...is rather emulate it and accept less than 100% capacity.

Edited by jce3000gt

One day I hope the 3DO gets its due and people start coming up with mods and stuff for the masses. I just haven't found a good solution to play one on any one of my three HDTVs. A framemeister is just out of the question...is rather emulate it and accept less than 100% capacity.

I don't know that the 3DO will ever get its due in terms of mods. It certainly hasn't by this point and the interest in the console is extremely low compared to other retro consoles. Even the Jag has a larger following. A framemeister or other xrgb is probably your best bet assuming none of your TVs have s-video input.

• 2 months later...

I'm working on a RGB board using the BU3616K encoder. It's been done before by modders here and in Japan with success. Once I've finished designing and testing, I'll put out a post to gauge interest. I don't think Otakus store are producing any at the moment which has pushed me to develop and updated version. There is another member looking at the ADV7125 encoder as another solution http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260654-new-3do-rgb-mod-possibility/?do=findComment&comment=3808787

• 1 month later...

hi

I live in France and I know this company that advertises the RGB mode (I was considering doing it but having only a Sanyo, I don't want to "spoil" the Sanyo..I might get a Panasonic 3do and do the mod).

Here you will find the link of the said company which is actually a store in Paris.

I have never had anything modified from them. I only order a video cable once. They are quite responsive if you have any questions.

https://www.tradergames.fr/en/recherche?controller=search&orderby=id_product&orderway=desc&search_query=3do&submit_search=

That's interesting, to my knowledge only early models were RGB mod-able and the kit was very expensive. Maybe they have came up with their own way to RGB mod, I would would expect the labor for the old kit to be more than 70 euros. Do they speak english as well, my french isn't so good. If it's legit, I might have to drag my 3do with me next time I go to Paris.

All 3DO are RGB able. The video encoders in the 3DO are unable to output RGB so another circuit is added to convert the 24bit digital RGB to analogue RGB. The old method used 3 DAC chips and another IC to produce a sync signal. Because of this the board was quite big.

It would be interesting to know what this French shop is using, whether it's just another Otaku board or a newer smaller IC.

The problem is whatever the circuit, it will always require soldering 24 digital RGB wires to the motherboard so people without experience will need to rely on modders and shops to install RGB on their 3DO.

The board looks like his own idea. It uses a BU3616K chip which is popular amongst modders for doing their own 3DO RGB mods. It's cheap and simple. Not sure why he extended the board out from under the CD rom, he could have kept the chip directly over the original encoder and saved pcb space. This design is great for VA536 encoders as it piggy backs onto the chip.