Not necessarily on YouTube but:

Chasing Ghosts

From Bedrooms To Billions: The Amiga Years

Once Upon Atari

I think rewards are shipping for this one that was Kickstarted:

Easy to Learn, Hard to Master: The Fate of Atari

I'm probably missing some.

Once Upon Atari is great. Hilarious.

King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters (about Donkey Kong competition, kind of infamous for how it represents events but very entertaining)

Man vs. Snake (about arcade game Nibbler -- very well done)

The King of Arcades

The Ecstasy of Order (about competitive Tetris)

The Video Craze (about arcades and arcade collectors)

The Space Invaders: In Search of Lost time (another one about arcades and collectors)

King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters (about Donkey Kong competition, kind of infamous for how it represents events but very entertaining)

Man vs. Snake (about arcade game Nibbler -- very well done)

The King of Arcades

The Ecstasy of Order (about competitive Tetris)

The Video Craze (about arcades and arcade collectors)

The Space Invaders: In Search of Lost time (another one about arcades and collectors)

Seen King of Kong and I've got Man vs. Snake in my Netflix Queue, however I'm going to have to check those others out!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/27/2017 at 12:06 PM, FOX2600 said:

Good stuff.

Also RetrowareTV's the video game years is more of a series, but great fun and recommended.

I noticed "The Video Game Years" being re-released on the Pat the Nes Punk channel recently and went looking for comments here on AtariAge.  I never saw this series before, has anyone done a comparison to see if there are any changes?  The Video Game Years 1977 - Full Gaming History Documentary - YouTube

I like Pat in small doses, but he and Ian are kind of the worst part of this thing.  They are almost mocking the show at certain points.

• 1 year later...

I was gonna make a thread for something like this, but did a search and found this one, so I'll just paste it here instead since it seems to ft.   :)  

Any good video game documentaries out there that you’d recommend? (of course there are a few already listed above)  I’ve seen the following 5, and wondering what else is worth checking out.

• Nintendo Quest
  • High Score
  • Chasing Ghosts
  • King of Kong
  • Console Wars

Google search brought up these, but I haven’t seen them.  Anything good in the list?

• Video Game Invasion: History of a Global Obsession
  • The Lost Arcade
  • Indie Game: The Movie
  • GoldenEra
  • Atari: Game Over

And these 3, which I’m not really interested in.  But if y’all say they’re good stuff, I may give them a shot.

• Minecraft: The Story Of Mojang
  • All Work All Play: The Pursuit of Esports Glory Live 
  • GameChangers: Dreams of BlizzCon

Anything else?

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Google search brought up these, but I haven’t seen them.  Anything good in the list?

• Video Game Invasion: History of a Global Obsession
  • The Lost Arcade
  • Indie Game: The Movie
  • GoldenEra
  • Atari: Game Over

"Indie Game: The Movie" was very good, if it's the one I'm thinking of. I think it was the one that followed the development of Fez. Braid and its developer Jonathan Blow are also in it I think.

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Anything else?

Bedrooms to Billions is one people seem to like. There are a couple of spin off documentaries too. There's one focused entirely on the Amiga for example.

YouTube is a good for original content on this type of thing, but they tend not to be "cinematic" films (like the King of Kong, for example). But some are very well made. The Noclip channel is worth looking at and Summoning Salt if you're interested in the history of speed running. Both make feature length videos (ie. 70 minutes plus).

• Like 1