IGNORED

Got my first ti-99/4a

Papa_Bear

I'm eager to play some Ti-99 games.... just all my c64 seems to have been breaking recently... first the monitor then the computer now every selling has flaked out on me.... just really soured me on it.... Yall are so dang kind!

Eep! Papa_Bear, by all means pursue the TI-99/4A, but I know the Commodore community would hate to lose you!

Commodore is my first love, but in the last couple of years I've begun the deep dive into retro computing. It seems to me the other systems worth exploring that are not an Apple-II or its successors are the TI-99 and the Atari 800. So, I have an 800XL with a disk drive, and I finally added a PEB to my TI-99/4A. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to have a permanent set up for the Atari/TI-99 (my permanent set up space is dedicated to my Commodore 128), and my free time is short and dwindling, but at least I have the equipment needed to really start doing some things...

I have to say I am MOST fascinated by the TI-99/4A's potential to control a VCR and to use it to load and save data, but I suppose putting that together is probably out of my price range, since it would involved exceedingly rare equipment.

More than that! Our own Vorticon uses his to control all kinds of stuff. Below are a couple of his inspirational videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhTnfGklIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHgEjmP8C4

I always wanted an Apple IIe with dual drives and a green phosphor monitor.

If I could select one system to have sharing a desk with my TI, it would be that. :)

Commodore is interesting as well. They seem more accessible than the IIe with the green monitor, so my mind is open. :)

I want to pick up all the strange systems... Ive got an NTSC zx81 then a broken Timex sinclair 1000. I had the chance to get an Aquarious(?) Computer by Matel recently. I love my computers but I have no desk or full time set up for em. They all go back into their box when I'm done with em. Only one sitting out is the Ti-99 now.

I once took the Zx81 to school lol. I got a camera bag big enough to fit a car tv the computer the wall warts a and a few tapes.

I'd love to pick up a decent Commodore system one day... My friend save2600 had an immaculate, fully expanded rig for sale a year or so ago, but it was out of my range.

One day. :)

Is there one in particular you are looking for? Pet, c64? C128? Amiga?

I have to say I am MOST fascinated by the TI-99/4A's potential to control a VCR and to use it to load and save data, but I suppose putting that together is probably out of my price range, since it would involved exceedingly rare equipment.

Wait... This is a thing?!? My God the next step after that is to rule the world!... Or something like that. Still sounds really cool... Would you be able to adjust speeds of the tape recording? Ok back to the actual post topic.

I always wanted an Apple IIe with dual drives and a green phosphor monitor.

If I could select one system to have sharing a desk with my TI, it would be that. icon_smile.gif

And as you know, I'm trying to decide which computer is worthy of sharing a desk with my Apple IIe with dual drives and a green phosphor monitor.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What's the Ti/99's version of the SD2IEC like for the Commodore?

Also soldering joystick jacks is quite annoying. Could you folks help me decipher the plans for the Adapter. It doesn't look like it matches up with the Atari joystick standard.. the male plugs seem... backwards?

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/cables/joystick.html