IGNORED

gone: Composite AV Modded + Stereo Coleco Gemini (2600 clone)

Osgeld

I got a tiny set of these things for a fair price on ebay, as is not working

First unit completed:

Coleco Gemini, atari 2600 clone, in a nutshell take the coleco atari 2600 expansion module, add a power supply and RF modulator and boom you have a Gemini. This unit is from Canada, hence the French subtitles on the labels, but is a NTSC north american machine.

These in decent condition are good starter, or daily driver machines for Atari 2600 people this one has been refurbished and modded for more modern environments

• All switches, controller, and cart contacts cleaned with industrial grade contact cleaner and when needed, disassembly and cleaned with rubbing compound
  • Case scrubbed clean in sink + warm water + dish soap + brush
  • Brand new 7805 voltage regulator
  • Stereo modded with the channel select switch turning on or off the function (channel 2 is mono over stereo, channel 3 is stereo over stereo in games that support 2 channel audio)
  • Composite video output added for better picture than stock RF and easier connectivity on modern TV sets

Asking 45$ + postage, USA and paypal only please

What you get:

• Refurbed console
  • 5 foot AV cable
  • brand new aftermarket 9 volt switching power supply

Thanks for looking

EDIT:

Please note the sticker around the power switch is curled up and damaged, please review images attached

PS I have two more of these machines in the shop and a long rainbow 2600 JR so if you want this and miss out, there's another chance within a week per machine (given there's no screwball gotcha's)

new machine lmages here

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

Asking 45$ + postage, USA and paypal only please

Wait a minute ... in a thread far far away

its funny here you can add 20$ to the sale price and say shipped and it will sell much faster in my experience

ie I want 40$ + shipping no bites, ask 60$ shipped, sells instantly, worst case I get what I wanted + shipping give or take a few bucks , best case I get what I want + shipping + 10 bucks (usa only since i am in the usa)

aye I can say 40$ shipped usa only and get totally ignored, or say 60$ shipped on the same item usa only and it wont last a day

same item, my worst case shipping is 23 dollars usa only on that item and 50% of the time its close enough where it only cost me 10 bucks to ship it, but people pay 20$ more to not pay shipping

human nature + it saves me a lot of work quoting every nitpicker, wellllllll... you said 9.75$ for postage.... but if it was 8.50$ i would be all over it blah blah blah bullshit

I dont even bother, I take my price add 75% worst case shipping post it, say free shipping, boom done, at worst I loose a few bucks, at best I gain a few bucks, and I dont have to quote every little thing I ever sell

Just kidding (kind of), good job in refurbishing the units .... scrub scrub scrub!!!!

how big are these suckers? ie not 5200 huge we are talking here. Surely its not more than 20 to ship???

Looks to potentially be too large to fit in a Priority Mail flat-rate box, so my guess is it may cost up to $20 to ship, depending on where you are.

Thanks. This mod looks very clean and nice. Many people charge much more for quality mod/refurb work, and I'm also excited to get stereo sound without disabling the stock RF on my 4-switcher.

I sent PM and the OP is going to calculate the shipping charge. I'm sure it will find the most economical option with tracking info. Sorry for the derail. Actually that was phoenixdownita going on about shipping, not me. :P

Thanks. This mod looks very clean and nice. Many people charge much more for quality mod/refurb work, and I'm also excited to get stereo sound without disabling the stock RF on my 4-switcher.

I cant speak for other people, but I do it entirely for fun.. I do make a profit on the machines and parts, but I don't really factor in any labor, cause I am going to be out in my garage tinkering with something electronic anyway

ps: stereo sound on games that take full advantage of it is a hoot, but most games don't but I actually still prefer the effect ... but then again my tv doesnt have a large stereo separation, I dont know if I would like it if I like speakers 10 foot apart, or headphone on those games which is why there is an option to turn it off with a otherwise now useless switch

Edited by Osgeld

I cant speak for other people, but I do it entirely for fun.. I do make a profit on the machines and parts, but I don't really factor in any labor, cause I am going to be out in my garage tinkering with something electronic anyway

ps: stereo sound on games that take full advantage of it is a hoot, but most games don't but I actually still prefer the effect ... but then again my tv doesnt have a large stereo separation, I dont know if I would like it if I like speakers 10 foot apart, or headphone on those games which is why there is an option to turn it off with a otherwise now useless switch

Thing is both channels are equally yoked, though some games may use melody in one, explosions in the other, or percussion vs rythm, or chords. Anyway, I'll have fun with it. I wonder if the new bus stuffing demos work on a Gemini? ;-)

One last Gemini for sale, I had 3 total, one went on the creation of this thread, second went via PM as the first two buyer's were within moments of eachother, here is the last one

the case is a bit more tattered, there's some strange chipping on the back and the front labels are a bit worse, so everything as the op post except due to cosmetic damage on the case I will knock the price to 35$ + postage USA and paypal only please

post-35237-0-73135700-1491271362_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-74526800-1491271363_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-70698000-1491271364_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-73767300-1491271365_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-75518800-1491271366_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-72879900-1491271367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

oftentimes the rates are cheaper to first class ship a found box of the proper dimention instead of priority flat rate...

You can't use First Class if the weight is over 13 ounces, which this console most definitely is. You also don't need to use a flat-rate Priority Mail box to ship Priority Mail, so you can get a proper dimension box and you may save a few bucks in the process. On a side note, Ground/Parcel Select is often the same rate as Priority Mail as well, but takes three times as long, so that's not worth using either. It's pretty much Priority or Bust these days unless you are shipping something under 13 ounces (usually just a single game or two).

Good luck with the sale Osgeld!

You can't use First Class if the weight is over 13 ounces, which this console most definitely is. You also don't need to use a flat-rate Priority Mail box to ship Priority Mail. On a side note, Ground/Parcel Select is often the same rate as Priority Mail as well, but takes three times as long, so that's not worth using either. It's pretty much Priority or Bust these days unless you are shipping something under 13 ounces (usually just a single game or two).

Sorry I meant to say Readypost but it came out wrong. And I thought the 13 ounce rule only applied to parcels dropped in a mail box.

I got to play with stereo sound on my AV modded Gemini for the first time last night. It's really incredible. I didn't play many games but I inserted a number of games just to hear the soundtracks. Star Fire and Star Castle had amazing sound in stereo. So did Stella's Stocking. All of the notes rang clear and true. Pitfall II and Chetiry both primarily sound out of the left speaker (using bus stuffing of the audio register) with minimal percussion and other sound effects out of the right speaker. Picture is pristine as well, and easily accessible front facing ports. I could easily see this becoming my "daily banger" over my original 4-switch Atari. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'd like to know how you modded these for composite. I tried doing this with a Gemini a few years ago but the pinout on the video chip seemed different than on a standard 2600. I managed to do it, but the contrast was so awful I wonder if I should have even bothered.

I'd like to know how you modded these for composite. I tried doing this with a Gemini a few years ago but the pinout on the video chip seemed different than on a standard 2600. I managed to do it, but the contrast was so awful I wonder if I should have even bothered.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263822-coleco-gemini-composite-av-mod-basic-idea

Edited by Osgeld