IGNORED

Control issue with Bounty Bob Strikes Back

pohlmacs

I have two copies of Bounty Bob Strikes Back and it seems that pressing right, up, or down on the standard console-stored controller is not working.

I have tested other games and the controls seem to work just fine. If I start the game, I can only go left. If I go into the settings * menu, I can only press left and no right up or down either.

However, after I plugged in the WICO Command Control and Joystick, I was able to control the game properly.

Anyone else having this issue and/or has any known workaround/solution?

It is a really bummer to now have every single Atari 5200 game and have it not work properly like all of the other games.

-Craig

Edited by pohlmacs

This is a known issue with Bountry Bob. out of all my 5200 stock controllers, I think I only have 2 that will work semi decent with Bounty Bob. The Wico's as you noted seem to work much better, but I honestly do prefer the control of the stock sticks over the Wico 'plug'...

Basically the adjustment for the deadzone on BB is so strict that most 5200 sticks aren't able to be calibrated to within the needed values. I've also noticed that in testing, not all 5200 sticks will read the same values from their extremes as others. The earlier ones I recall had larger starting values on the pots in the controllers vs newer ones. And BB didn't seem to want to work with any of the older controllers with higher value readings. That the Necromancer conversion are the only two games that seem to be really strict on the calibration for the stock controllers to work.

• Like 1

Atari Nut. That will calibrate Missile Command to make it work right but it does nothing to fix the control issues with Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I am tried this endlessly with multiple controllers and calibration the Wico controllers work but the competition Pro digital controllers won't.

Exactly! Basically for me to get BB working with a stock 5200 controller required a perfectly calibrated console with a lot of trial and error getting just the right calibration on the stock controllers. Because of this, I've now started to use BB as the perfect test game for the standard cardinal directions testing with stock 5200 controllers since that game is so finicky.

Atari Nut. That will calibrate Missile Command to make it work right but it does nothing to fix the control issues with Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I am tried this endlessly with multiple controllers and calibration the Wico controllers work but the competition Pro digital controllers won't.

Interesting. It worked for me with Bounty Bob.