IGNORED

YES!

Sinphaltimus

Are you kids done bitching over semantics yet? :lol:

Received mine today - yay! And I totally predicted what was going to be and always is: a Post Orifice debacle. Had to run some errands this morning and when I came home, sho'nuff, there was a pink slip in my mailbox. sigh

Knowing exactly how the post office "handles" packages around here, I decided to track him down and track him down I did. Turns out, he was only several blocks away and of course, my Vampire was sitting atop the dash, roasting in the sun and getting baked underneath by the windshield heater vent. very big sigh

So anyway... package arrived in the typical budget (cheaper than cheap) European version of the bubbleope, which is comprised of very thin paper with a lamb ball-sack lining that some unfortunate soul blows bubbles into. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but if you've ever received a package from Europe, you should know what I'm trying to describe here. :rolling:

Also, the card was left to rattle inside its box as there is no packing material inside. Only a single piece of paper that comprises the instruction manual. Thankfully, no broken pins - just a couple that were slightly bent.

post-13896-0-95131800-1491515800_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-10074100-1491515802_thumb.jpg

post-13896-0-37983200-1491515803_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-39198200-1491515804_thumb.jpg

post-13896-0-74052100-1491515805_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Regarding the semantics.. New technologies require new terminology.

I believe the proper way to address this is by calling the FPGA stuff a simulation. After all, it is NOT replicating or recreating any kind of hardware, just the end functionality. It's really a different style of emulation. Again, semantics!

CPUs cores that get downloaded into these things are simply called "Soft CPUs". They are considered "soft" because they are easily modified and consist of a bitstream that gets sent to the fpga.

They really have to work on better packaging. I would personally be kind of pissed about ANY damage (even a bent pin) for the price of this thing. You would think for the price of it they would use a box (the put the vampire box into). Anyhow, thank god it arrived in one piece :) Individual Computers did the same thing with the ACA500+....but it was a *little* better packaged than you described.

Anyhow, that is one nice FPGA programmed using software with an Apollo CPU binary core you have there! :-D

OK. So no other amiga chipsets are implemented?

Nope, not yet anyway. Not sure how the proposed AGA emulation is going to work though. The RTG function of the board is Workbench only related and outputs via the HDMI connector. In other words, it's not like a true flicker fixer/scan doubler for the 15khz native stuff. Games don't magically get "promoted" through the RTG section of the card.

-edit-

Apologies... just read where you do not need (and is recommended to remove) your Kickstart chip as the Vampire has a replacement on board. :)

Apparently they are working on the AGA chipset which will mean the Amiga 500 will then play later AGA titles. At least that is what Dan Wood said in this youtube review of the Vampire for the 600, so I would assume they will do the same thing with the 500.

Edited by eightbit

• 3 months later...

Heh, I received this e-mail on July 4 --

Today is a big day : your Vampire card has been shipped !

Thanks again for your support to Apollo team

Best Regards
Apollo team

If received in time, it will be exhibited at the Commodore Vegas Expo,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Heh, I received this e-mail on July 4 --

Today is a big day : your Vampire card has been shipped !

Thanks again for your support to Apollo team

Best Regards

Apollo team

If received in time, it will be exhibited at the Commodore Vegas Expo,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Sweet!

Mine arrived today! caught me completely off guard. I was hoping GOLDv3 core would be released before I received it. Not really ready for a dual monitor setup. I may wait until Gv3 is available before installing it. In the meantime I may use my Amiga now for certain things and then do a before and after video comparison. Let's see how ambitious I feel.... Not going to focus on gaming but instead on more creative uses for my A500.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ruined. Got my vampire A500+ installed with ApolloOS and I'm lost in a dream This thing rocks. I've never used such a fast and responsive Amiga like this before. Total dream come true. so happy. So worth it. I never imagined my A500 rev5 being so damn good.

I personally have zero experience and less knowledge about the video toaster setup. However, i can tell you there are active users doing this very thing (installing the video toaster and software). They are doing it under ApolloOS - Like actively I was watching the guys on IRC last night talking about how to go about it.

You will most likely get the best answer by posting to their forums or popping in IRC and asking around User CanDoo on IRC seems to be the vampire VT guy to talk to.

http://forum.apollo-accelerators.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Join #apollo-team
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=apollo-team

Let me ask (without bothering to do a lot of research admittedly) if I put this in an A2000 can I still use my Toaster, PC bridge board, etc.?

The Amiga engineers were pretty good about making hardware work no matter what the CPU speed is, so I would expect the hardware to work just fine.

The Zorro buss signals certainly don't change speed.

I'm sure the kernel required some changes just like different Motorola CPUs.

As long as that doesn't have any issues, everything that works on a 68020 - 68060 should work on it.

Badly written software would be the only thing I'd worry about, and I'd guess that would have trouble on other CPUs anyway.