IGNORED

New game released: Gunfright

mariuszw

Sound effects are ported from Spectrum and played by Atari beeper. I know that compared to excellent Saul's music their quality is poor ;)

I know, it sound like pissing again ;) What I was pointing to is...

0:00 to 0:19 SID

then POKEY

I know of the limits of POKEY, but why the heck does the synth need to sound that itchy scratchy and "off" , to have people liking that ? Well "off" isn't the right term. "sick" fits better.

Edited by emkay

Hello Bill, what are the other setting and such you are using? ROM MEM ETC.

I am using the .ATR file on Altirra x64 2.81, 65XE/130XE, 64K (800XL/1200XL), NTSC

I also have some virtual devices attached [ Printer (P:), Host device (H:), 850 Interface Module, XEP80 ].

Note that the screen is also little glitchy after the title screen but before the option screen for three to four seconds.

I'm going to remove the virtual devices and increase the memory to 128K to see if that helps.

Bill

post-188-0-80853700-1491395146_thumb.png

Changing my settings seemed to have cleared up the screen glitch after a shootout, but I still see the horizontal bars after the title screen for a few seconds. Maybe it needed more than 64K or one of the other "attached" devices was causing an issue.

The game got more interesting once I figured out that the people were pointing out which way to go rather than pointing to shoot me. I kept killing all of the "pointers"!

Bill

OK. Other question:

Why does the same "musician" do those opposite musics ?

IF the POKEY version is that good, why isn't the SID version tuned to sound like the POKEY version?

I'm not an audiophile, but I like the music. It has a synthesized Old West Fist Full Of Dollars sound to it.

Which is easily to recognize in the SID version.

I think both versions of the music are great, I guess it just comes down to personal taste at the end of the day.

The SID versions were done first and make use of the SID's filter a lot. I would imagine its the filter that makes the biggest difference between the two versions. I could be wrong but I would imagine that the notation is more or less the same.

IMO both versions are way better than the Z80 versions music. They use very generic tunes.

Edited by emux

I think both versions of the music are great, I guess it just comes down to personal taste at the end of the day.

The SID versions were done first and make use of the SID's filter a lot. I would imagine its the filter that makes the biggest difference between the two versions. I could be wrong but I would imagine that the notation is more or less the same.

My guess :Filters were nor used for that tune. It'S just the modulation feature and, well, some sharper note correctness.

Notation sounds also the same. As I wrote, most of the music is fitting very good to the game. But, why sounds the "filter" that odd. in the POKEY version?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258292-nothing-special/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3729182

The video in that post show changing of 4 channel + programmed basses, and filter manipulations used 3 channel. From 0:10 to 0:23 the instrumentation is very close to the title tune. No need for scratchy sounds, and portamentos plus glissando is no problem for POKEY.

Edited by emkay

My guess :Filters were nor used for that tune. It'S just the modulation feature and, well, some sharper note correctness.

Notation sounds also the same. As I wrote, most of the music is fitting very good to the game. But, why sounds the "filter" that odd. in the POKEY version?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258292-nothing-special/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3729182

The video in that post show changing of 4 channel + programmed basses, and filter manipulations used 3 channel. From 0:10 to 0:23 the instrumentation is very close to the title tune. No need for scratchy sounds, and portamentos plus glissando is no problem for POKEY.

RMT is included in source code archive. Please prepare better version with all the improvements you are telling about applied and I will be happy to include it in updated version. I guess Saul will be happy to learn from your tune - Gunfright was his first Pokey tune as far as I know, so he may be not that familiar as he is with SID.

RMT is included in source code archive. Please prepare better version with all the improvements you are telling about applied and I will be happy to include it in updated version. I guess Saul will be happy to learn from your tune - Gunfright was his first Pokey tune as far as I know, so he may be not that familiar as he is with SID.

Why not. You know , asking for some cooperation in the past made people feel "pissed" not to see their majestic holyness ;)

After my first shootout, the screen gets messed up. Running Altirra 2.81. NTSC.

Bill

This will happen if you have too many lives (for example 8 lives). I guess you used unlimited lives cheat then? If I release updated version, I'll address this issue anyway.

BTW: This is a bug of original Spectrum version, so it doesn't count as a bug in Atari version ;)

Edited by mariuszw
  • Like 1

I like it, nice instrumentation, and I think the continuity is good. The gun shot sound is cool too, I like how it does not interrupt the music or affect the tones. It almost sounds like a digitized clip. I notice this is in stereo.

I was completely ready to watch rawhide!..... and song then song 9 happened and my western feel disappeared... I don't wanna go to the circus!

Where did that come from! Loved it right till that moment!

It's a game. The "circus style" is fitting to the shooting booth very well ... IMHO :)

• Like 1

I like it, nice instrumentation, and I think the continuity is good. The gun shot sound is cool too, I like how it does not interrupt the music or affect the tones. It almost sounds like a digitized clip. I notice this is in stereo.

Not really stereo. It's some side effect of the emulation. You recognize timing issues between the left and right channel.

• Like 2