IGNORED

Can my system be upgraded? (65XE)

AlecRob

https://imgur.com/gallery/2FH8o

This isn't a 130XE motherboard like some 65's. I'm looking for somebody experienced to cram as much RAM into this thing as possible. (will pay whatever it takes)

However I don't know the full extent of the 65's upgradability. Most people just talk about upgrading XL's and 130XEs and 65XE's with 130XE mobos. Any leads would be much appreciated.

So it needs these products? There's no way to just slap on new chips oldschool style?

If you could find a Rambo board, that may work. If your mainboard was from a 130XE, you could take it to 320K, 576K, and even 1088K using many oldschool DRAMS. But the 65XE didn't have freddie or the extra bank of RAM. I would say it is not at all worth the work, and modern upgrades like the Ultimate 1MB provide so much more than just extra RAM.

If you could find a Rambo board, that may work. If your mainboard was from a 130XE, you could take it to 320K, 576K, and even 1088K using many oldschool DRAMS. But the 65XE didn't have freddie or the extra bank of RAM. I would say it is not at all worth the work, and modern upgrades like the Ultimate 1MB provide so much more than just extra RAM.

The Freddie is the C061991 chip on the 65XE motherboard pictured in post #1 in this thread.

That's her username here on AtariAge (her real first name is Lenore). She runs a site where she sells hardware devices for Atari 8-bits called www.bitsofthepast.com

Hah, Great! i'm gonna buy one.

Now I just need to figure out how to install it in my non-130XE motherboard 65XE.

Edited by AlecRob

Now I just need to figure out how to install it in my non-130XE motherboard 65XE.

Make sure you check the product descriptions carefully; I think she's selling bare boards, with no RAM chips. You'll have to supply those yourself.

Word of caution:

The RamboXL board I sell was designed for the 1200XL, 600/800XL computers. I don't know if it would work in a 65XE. It might, but I don't have any instructions for that computer model. Has anyone actually installed a RamboXL in their 65XE?

The RAMBO plugs into the a memory decoder 74LS158 on the 800xl/1200xl. I'm not sure if the 900xlf(65xe ntsc) has that. Been a long time since working with that board.

maybe theres an equivalent point

Isn't the 900XLF a somewhat repackaged 800XL? I have a feeling theres a way to get it working...

Edited by AlecRob