IGNORED

Super Pro Hockey

mr_intv,

Thanks for sharing sounds great!

Steve,

Yeah thanks my NY Islanders finished 17th in league where 16 teams make playoffs:-( Proud of way they finished last 40 games of season as a top-5 team in entire NHL. Unfortunately GM waited way too long to fire coach & it cost us. Good luck to your Leafs - Matthews had a great year along with 4 of your other rookies. Very bright future for Leafs with top notch ownership/management/coaching & so many good young players to build around. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leafs do some damage in playoffs.

Joe

• Like 1

I picked up a copy of David's ROM on Friday. It's the first opportunity I've had to play it, which I did on my Sears console via the LTO Flash! I then played some Slap Shot SP Hockey as a comparison.

- First off, the colors now seem correct for the both the rink and teams. I don't think there's really a problem using red and blue teams along with the correct line colors on the ice.

- Being able to select the length of time for the game is huge. How many times have I not played one of the sports games because I didn't want to spend an hour or more playing it? All sports titles should let you set the game time.

- Overtime. Yes. How could that not have been included in the original. Nobody wants to end with a tie.

- Penalties are done correctly with a face-off to resume play. One subtle change is the updated graphic for the player in the penalty box. In Slap Shot, he looks like he's sleeping in a recliner after dinner! Not anymore.

- Overall game play is much snappier, and this alone is a big upgrade. Players seem to glide smoothly on the ice, and the whole experience feels quicker. Slap Shot is sluggish and sloppy by comparison. This update is fun and keeps the action going.

- Speaking of action, I didn't see any strange behaviors. No pucks going through the back of the net (even though I tried). It seems solid on real hardware.

- Being able to switch player control with a side button is really nice. It feels more natural than using the keypad, which is still an option.

Intelligentvision SP Hockey is a great update of the original. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I'm one of the few who were able to purchase this while it was available. To put it simply......it's awesome! Way faster, better colours, face offs after penalties, improved computer AI, if you take a penalty it is tough to kill off without getting scored on, the option of picking period length is a godsend. Too me, 5 min periods play out perfect.

Sounds like a winner to me Dave! What more could you want than a flying colors review from Mr. INTV himself?! :)

• Like 2

<snip>

- Being able to select the length of time for the game is huge. How many times have I not played one of the sports games because I didn't want to spend an hour or more playing it? All sports titles should let you set the game time.

<snip>

Intelligentvision SP Hockey is a great update of the original. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not to derail the topic here, but there is a thread that has hacks of the original sport games with reduced game time:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234643-sport-games-hacks/

While still not the same as being able to set the time to whatever you desire, the reduced overall game time is better.

Growing up I didn't have a second player often, so the sport games are something I never played much and never really got into.

Now I can start playing with the kids.

Keep up the good work, David.

There is an option to order GAME BOARDS of Hockey, Baseball, and Mystic Castle.

If you are NOT interested in GAME BOARDS, scroll down the page a little. The ROMs are also available for purchase.

I will close GAME BOARD sales at the end of April. The ROMs will continue to be available after board sales ends.

The game boards are $30 each and ROMs are $10 each.

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 6

Just ordered the board as well. Yes, In part to support David's efforts. But I must admit, this is what super pro hockey should have been!

It is a playable game. I couldn't stand the prior attempts. However, I am 37 years behind now. The computer kicks my @$$.

Maybe this version could sneak its way on to the next flashback.... Have hockey represented PROPERLY on the intellivision. NHL references would need to go...

• Like 2