Season 6 - The New HSC - Week 12 = Jawbreaker

S.BAZ

Jawbreaker: 10,150

post-9499-0-59967400-1492302017_thumb.png

Tooth Protectors: 49,100

post-9499-0-95532000-1492302040_thumb.png

Plaque Attack 16,920

post-9499-0-60871400-1492302120_thumb.png

I don't follow new game releases much, but I don't see tooth care as a theme in modern games. Back in the day when video games were often seen as frivolous, I think there was an interest in using games as educational propaganda. I think back to playing Apple 2 games in my grade school classroom. There were math games that were little more than math quizzes with video and audio feedback to reward you for getting an answer correct. I recall a typing tutor that let you shoot down letters when you hit the right key. Not to mention the Where in the world/USA/Galaxy is Carmen SanDiego games. Generally the edu-tainment was junk. I wanted to blow stuff up, slay dragons, and get my wagon to Oregon before the party starved. If I developed skills along the way, then that was icing on the cake.

I enjoyed playing all three of these games. It's frustrating (in a fun way) when the Jawbreakers double back on me, and I try to get to the gap in the wall, only to get nailed by one coming on the next tier!

• Like 2

Back in the day when video games were often seen as frivolous, I think there was an interest in using games as educational propaganda.

I think it's a mix of various factors.

A big one is that they don't have the same visibility. The ones that are still made on physical medium are not found next to "regular games", if they still exists, you have to seek them. It's not like in the 90s when it made sense for Sonic ans Awesome Possum to be sitting on the same shelves. Meanwhile, download-only games won't pop-up in best-sellers and if you don't type "educationnal" on steam, you'll never know about them because you are mostly exposed to thing you look for or things similar enough for webstores to suggest them.

I also believe there is less developpers working on those kind of titles because the market has changed. Back in the 70s-90s, games were mostly for kids and they were bought by their parents. In those times, it made sense to build a platformer or a shooter around something "wholesome", buy Timmy a game that'll teach him something good. Today a lot of devs are going for a mature audience (GTA, CoD), young adults/teenagers with jobs (God of War, Assassin's creed) or a nostalgic audience (Shovel Knight), all those brains could have made a toothpaste games 20 years ago but they won,t bother today.

Change of subject. DarQ and Oyamafamily are both beating me in Jawbreaker... This situation is unacceptable and vee must deal vith it.

• Like 1

After wrestling with my conscience, I am withdrawing my 200,900 score for Tooth Protectors. My game ended around the 110,000 point but the tooth counter kept going. At first I thought it was part of the game but it kept going. I did a snapshot at 200,900 as I continued to fool myself that it was part of the game. Thinking it over, it's clear it was a glitch. My apologies.

Edited by AtariWarlord
  • Like 2