IGNORED

NEW SNES game - The Darkness Hunter Unholy Night

The only real flaws with this one is that it's a bit choppy in animation, but I don't know to what extent, perhaps the cuts that SF ALpha2 got to work on SNES? You only have 6 characters while other 1on1 had at least 8 if I recall right on the system, and that people don't like the dime store dojin looking box art with it. Up side would be the overall in game art package, solid SNK style sound effects, good move set, and decent but not really fantastic(memorable) music choices. $50 is probably pushing it, but it's $40 if you preorder+PRIME on amazon so that may be fine in the end.

How did this come out already when the KS recently failed? Was it just one of those free publicity stunts?

Thanks for doing this video because I was interested in this game. I'm on the fence with this one. It looks like it needs a lot more polish. The music and animation needs work. I'm more interested in the PCB to tell you the truth.

Wonder if the choppy animation we're witnessing is just due to the nature of a compressed YouTube vid?

Game looks great no doubt, but can't help but think there's already a plethora of good fighters for the SNES. What we need is something like this for the Jaguar! :)

Really not sure how to feel about this. Fighting games is one of my favorite genres and I love that they decided to release a new one for my beloved Super Famicom/Nintendo. However, I'm not a fan of the graphical style and animation. Also, with just 6 characters to choose from it doesn't sound like a game that'll keep me entertained for very long. From what I'm seeing the English language translation is also poorly done. I wish them the best with sales but for me, this is a pass. icon_sad.gif

Edited by Tartfox

Wonder if the choppy animation we're witnessing is just due to the nature of a compressed YouTube vid?

Game looks great no doubt, but can't help but think there's already a plethora of good fighters for the SNES. What we need is something like this for the Jaguar! :)

No it's not. A member of the Neo-Geo.com forums got their copy in the mail and did a review of it with video. The game is as choppy as the Takara SNK conversions of their games on the SNES or Gameboy really for that matter. It's hard to explain but while the animation appears choppy, the gameplay motions and moves are still fluid to the touch so it's not a battle to pull stuff off, it's natural like an arcade game should be. It's just that the characters have less frames of animation is all to save space or something say like Samurai Shodown 1 does or Fatal Fury Special on SNES/Genesis.

The game has to win it 7 fights. You first do the other 5, then get some classic SNKgrish, do a clone fight which is harder than the others, then the boss is the 7th battle to end it. THe game appears to share the same music on a couple stages here or there, but has a few differing musical scores overall which sound actually quite good. Large images are used for each stage background with a nice level of attention to detail, yet still given the size they say the game is it makes you wonder if they used the worlds worst compression routines. Super SF2 or UMK3 on SNES has far more characters, stages, audio, and fit into smaller sized chips. They buyer seemed to think the game was worth the price of entry as you do have some good characters to learn, their combos, other little technicals as well, and how to approach their mirror battles and the final boss -- plus the survival mode too.

I really wish they'd release a demo rom to try out one character, or any character but for just 1-2 fights in -- or at worst someone dumped the ROM. I'd like to really try this out. I hate to buy blind in an age you really don't have to anymore but given what little is out there you pretty much have to which sucks.

Edited by Tanooki

How did this come out already when the KS recently failed? Was it just one of those free publicity stunts?

The Kickstarter was just for a US release of the game (with US shells etc). The game was always lined up to be released in Japan for the SFC, it was available to pre-order on Amazon for example! Just waiting for my copy to arrive in due course...

The Kickstarter was just for a US release of the game (with US shells etc). The game was always lined up to be released in Japan for the SFC, it was available to pre-order on Amazon for example! Just waiting for my copy to arrive in due course...

No wonder why it failed. How many people in the US could possibly be interested in this? Unless if the money was going to be used to fund something else.

I don't know I see some basic similarities, but I don't know if some very knowing SNK former employees would steal a copy of a ghetto chinese pirate game engine to make their own cartridge for the SNES as that's a bit of a shady stretch. I'm not saying it's not possible, but seems unlikely with the talent pool.

I don't know I see some basic similarities, but I don't know if some very knowing SNK former employees would steal a copy of a ghetto chinese pirate game engine to make their own cartridge for the SNES as that's a bit of a shady stretch. I'm not saying it's not possible, but seems unlikely with the talent pool.

I very much doubt the guys behind this game are actual ex-SNK people. The company they reached out for US distribution is partner of mine and they thought that whole ex-SNK was BS too. Also, their names don't add up. So who knows, also the company behind commissioning the game is Blazepro, China company creators of Super UFO 8 (which uses stolen James Pond 2 SNES Sound engine and Music).

• Like 2

I very much doubt the guys behind this game are actual ex-SNK people. The company they reached out for US distribution is partner of mine and they thought that whole ex-SNK was BS too. Also, their names don't add up. So who knows, also the company behind commissioning the game is Blazepro, China company creators of Super UFO 8 (which uses stolen James Pond 2 SNES Sound engine and Music).

In that first vid you posted there is a song on there that sounds almost exactly the same as the biggest song in Unholy Night.

A new SNES game, a fairly uncomplicated fighter, looks well-done, has interesting characters, not to mention boobs?

I'm in.

It was the books that got you, wasn't it? :)

The only real flaws with this one is that it's a bit choppy in animation, but I don't know to what extent, perhaps the cuts that SF ALpha2 got to work on SNES? You only have 6 characters while other 1on1 had at least 8 if I recall right on the system, and that people don't like the dime store dojin looking box art with it. Up side would be the overall in game art package, solid SNK style sound effects, good move set, and decent but not really fantastic(memorable) music choices. $50 is probably pushing it, but it's $40 if you preorder+PRIME on amazon so that may be fine in the end.

The packing is probably the highlight of this game if I'm honest.

Thanks for doing this video because I was interested in this game. I'm on the fence with this one. It looks like it needs a lot more polish. The music and animation needs work. I'm more interested in the PCB to tell you the truth.

The Kick Starter was for a US release. The Japanese release was always on the cards.

Sadly the game is always that choppy. The video was captured at 60fps too so even that wouldn't effect it.

Not digging the static backgrounds with absolutely no animations. But DANG that chick Nightmare.

Hehe, I bet she's only in the game to gain people's interest.

I've been playing this a lot more tonight. It's miles better than those crappy knock off games in the videos above. Unholy Night does have proper moves, combos, counters and super moves. If the animation wasnt so choppy this would be so much better mind you.

Also reached the last boss

DSC_0089_zpsj6fzk03w.jpg

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 2

Despite the flaws, I think this homebrew has raised the bar for SNES/SFC homebrew. There are worse fighting games for the SNES, Double Dragon V springs to mind. Previous to this game, I think Classic Kong was probably the king of homebrew. Reproductions of games developed but not released during the SNES's lifetime don't count here.

The cartridge has the tabs necessary to allow it to fit in an unaltered SNES slot.

Edited by Great Hierophant

Actually yeah Classic Kong as far as the knowns go probably was the solid leader of the pack, but since he dropped in here, go check out Piko. He has this one game that's expensive as it uses harvested DSP chips, but it's called Hind Strike I believe. It's basically a very well one, well fleshed out and broadened version of the hidden attack chopper mode7 game on the back end of Pilotwings. That thing is fantastic as it's a true no corners cut homebrew effort there.

I agree this isn't some failed publisher mess, this is new, and he does have failed incomplete and complete(hacked to finished included stuff) like that Dorky Imp game and stuff, and some screwbag weird chinese hacker titles as well. I'm still surprised much of this hasn't ended up online (including this fighter) as d/l roms like pirates have any morals about it.

Actually yeah Classic Kong as far as the knowns go probably was the solid leader of the pack, but since he dropped in here, go check out Piko. He has this one game that's expensive as it uses harvested DSP chips, but it's called Hind Strike I believe. It's basically a very well one, well fleshed out and broadened version of the hidden attack chopper mode7 game on the back end of Pilotwings. That thing is fantastic as it's a true no corners cut homebrew effort there.

I agree this isn't some failed publisher mess, this is new, and he does have failed incomplete and complete(hacked to finished included stuff) like that Dorky Imp game and stuff, and some screwbag weird chinese hacker titles as well. I'm still surprised much of this hasn't ended up online (including this fighter) as d/l roms like pirates have any morals about it.

I never heard of Hind Strike, I guess it flew under my radar. Or maybe its publicity campaign never got off the launch pad. One might think that Piko failed to apply the thrust necessary to lift the game into a wider consciousness. :P

I never heard of Hind Strike, I guess it flew under my radar. Or maybe its publicity campaign never got off the launch pad. One might think that Piko failed to apply the thrust necessary to lift the game into a wider consciousness. :P

DSP (which I tried to lobby against it) and the cost to produce it, killed it IMO. Expensive and burdensome to produce, and is only 12 missions.

I think if Collectorvisions Justice Beaver's videos are actually from the SNES version and not the current gen one, that game will be solid, bar way up there.

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd bump this one up today when I went through my amazon wishlist and saw that it was under $18 with prime shipping. On ebay it's just over $20 with free shipping.

I watched some youtube reviews, and they don't seem good, but ~$20 for any new snes game seems worth the bump. I went for one.

You got me thinking with that, one, daring move considering the complaining at first thought. I then tried to find a rom download, it exists, not sure if it's glitchy or bsnes-classic was, but only playing it for five minutes so far I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Yes the music selection is lacking and it has the smaller library of fighters but it doesn't feel all that wooden or sloppy, it handles fine. I trained a bit with Nightmare then played 2 fights into the main game with her as well. Sure it's no Garou Mark of the Wolves or Street Fighter 2 variant in quality, but it's not bad either.

There's another newbie out (kind of) last year, a re-release of a Satelliview game now on a full boxed product like Unholy Night there. Shubibinman Zero and it's actually a really fun game that (if you do it in one run) can be done in around 2.5 hours but realistically a good bit more. https://www.amazon.com/Kaizou-Choujin-Shubibinman-Super-Famicom-Version/dp/B0725H9NNR/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1517576966&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=shubibinman

Shame it's like $50-60 though but then again $50 is like old MSRP so not that bad, just not $20 good.

Edited by Tanooki